Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are You... Helpful or Hurtful?

'sup, awakecreate

As long as I am able to help a person, I will try to help them in whatever situation it is. I don't have the guts to be mean to people, especially not a total stranger that's just trying to ask for help. As far as directions fo, I would never tell someone they should already know just because they live here. Seems pretty jerkish and unnecessary to say. But that's just because I still don't know my way around :x

Anyway, that's also a problem since I can't help with directions too much, but I try my best. Once I had a lady come up to me asking for directions to somewhere and I had a hard time describing the directions to her...so I just walked her to the place. It was in the completely opposite direction from where I was going but it was just easier to do.
    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

I am also on the other side....every time I have visited , I have had nothing but polite and sweet answers....then again I smile....Oh, and show some cleavage...so does that add in anywhere? Probably not!

But when people at home ask me directions? I send them the opposite way...I know it's bad but I have 3 kids and if you are going to stop me and ask me something and make me wrangle 3 boys screaming and still expect me to find your freakin road, then you need to drive 5 more minutes and think about it!
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by kupomog
        'sup, awakecreate

As long as I am able to help a person, I will try to help them in whatever situation it is. I don't have the guts to be mean to people, especially not a total stranger that's just trying to ask for help. As far as directions fo, I would never tell someone they should already know just because they live here. Seems pretty jerkish and unnecessary to say. But that's just because I still don't know my way around :x

Anyway, that's also a problem since I can't help with directions too much, but I try my best. Once I had a lady come up to me asking for directions to somewhere and I had a hard time describing the directions to her...so I just walked her to the place. It was in the completely opposite direction from where I was going but it was just easier to do.
        You are just so nice.....and much more so than I
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I try to be helpful when I can, like last night I was on my way in to a store when I was walking in, I notice a guy walking out with his car keys in his hand pressing his alarm thingy, looking around in the parking lot, so I go up to him and say jokingly, don't you hate it when you forget where you park? The poor guy said he was once there for over an hour looking for his car before, so I asked him if he would like some help finding his car, he reluctantly looked at me and said sure, so he told me the description and 5 minutes later we found his car on the west end of the parking lot. He thanked me and we went our own ways.
          Other times if people are rude or come across as high makamaka than I just go about my business
          Live for today....tommorow is never promised

Comment

Well, since everyone's posting their brownie stories...

We actually had several people ask us for directions when we were on O'ahu. I didn't know what some of the places were, but I did try when we'd already found them ourselves. We warned one guy away from the Ala Wai parking when the street cleaners were due to come by (don't think he was a tourist, but maybe he was from another part of town). Helped a Japanese couple take a picture of themselves... they didn't speak any English but it worked out OK. I walked away and thought myself a dolt a few moments later because I certainly could've spoken enough Japanese to communicate with them about picture taking, just didn't even think about it

I think giving aloha is as much or more fun than receiving, and wish it was more common on the mainland.

Horizon screwed up our return connecting flight big time, after screwing up our departure connecting flight as well. They just canceled it without much warning and made us troop down to the business counter (in SeaTac) to get put on other flights (apparently since we weren't super duper gold platinum club members they wouldn't do it at the terminal). Lots of very angry customers and the people working at the desk looked pretty under siege. My wife had to get back for a class and if she was gonna miss it anyway, we were thinking -- wish we'd just stayed another day. So I got to thinking in line, and yeah I know, this is cheesy -- what would one of those chilled out and friendly Hawaiian people have done? I was still feeling pretty good from our trip. So I just handed the lady at the counter our tickets with a knowing smile like "yep, another one o' these", she did her best for us and we made lemonade from lemons with some free food vouchers. =D Same basic results as we would've gotten otherwise, but a little less anger to go around.

I wasn't mean or anything before, but I have to say that you guys made a positive impact on my attitude, 'cause two months later I've still got it in mind whenever I'm out and about.

I think my one exception to the rule is pushy salesmen -- specifically timeshares and siding/windows/etc people that come to your house. I'd really like to borrow some of Aunty's whack whacks for them

Comment

If your son plans to take you to Chinatown, let me know. I'll give you an Exclusive Auntie Pupule Chinatown Tour. There's no charge for members of HT and another forum I belong to.

Once again, welcome!

Auntie Lynn[/QUOTE]

..Well MENEHUNE MAN you have started a working active and in-the-now thread with a very kind Auntie Lynn offering me, a tourist, a comp tour. And I am taken back with wonderous glee, thank you A. L. Cool...and helpful!

..I have many fond memories of fresh produce shopping at Bloor and Spadina's ChinnaTown in Toronto. That was in the 70's and it is still growing larger every day. My intention is to find you Auntie Lynn and introduce myself as a fellow island dweller who loves the sea . I also have interests in active volcanoes and sailboats. Mike and I for sure will scuba dive.

Blessings to all
              AwakeCreate

you are what you think about ...all day long.
              'you are what you think about', all day long...you are
              blessed be

Comment

If I have the gas, then I'll drive the person to the location. Other than that, I'll be a good samaritan and tell him the way the best to my ability.
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by awakecreate
                  Well MENEHUNE MAN you have started a working active and in-the-now thread with a very kind Auntie Lynn offering me, a tourist, a comp tour. And I am taken back with wonderous glee, thank you A. L. Cool...and helpful!

My intention is to find you Auntie Lynn and introduce myself as a fellow island dweller who loves the sea .you are what you think about ...all day long.
                  Awakecreate, You will be the second Canadian whom I will have the honor in showing Chinatown. Lucy, another HT Member visited Oahu this past June. She took me with her to The Shark Tour in beautiful Haleiwa. It was breathtaking to be amongst so many sharks but still well protected in a cage. We were up close and could see their majestic beauty as they swam about us.

My second tour ~ also to another HT member, Joel and his family from San Jose, CA. Yet another being planned for a new member, HawaiiDreamer who is also arriving soon. I look forward in meeting you and your son.

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I ran into Spider (What can we do to help the homeless thread #166 & #167) again today. We hung out and talked for 'bout 1/2 hour. His father passed away two days ago and he was telling all kinds of stories of time they had together before. Spider never asked for anything, just needed a shoulder to lean on. I shared stories of my Dad (died '90) and me too. I ended up giving my dinner, change from my ashtray (no money on me, broke right now) and a hug to him then went on my way to work. Tonight we had a fundraiser for Wa'ahila Halau and someone bought plates of food for all the guards. Pretty cool since I was just planning on going without.

Go for the good... it pays off in so many unexpected ways!
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I'm the helpful sort. I give the best possible directions I know how to get from point A to point B I can, and then when those who've asked me how to get to place they're going finally drive on, I mentally rehash the directions I gave them, and often think to myself that I could have given more details in helping them arrive at their destination or even more troubling to me, I chart an even better way to get where they are going, long after they are gone. I take it personally when somebody asks me how to get somewhere, and I feel strong about providing them with the best possible route.

A couple of tourists asked me in downtown Kailua (by Chip and Cookie) last December how to get to the Kailua Beach Park, and I gave them directions I felt they wouldn't screw up...directions where they could get to the park by entering it over by Buzz's before crossing the canal. Later, I rehashed in my mind that I could have told them that they could get to the park sooner by cutting in back of the Kalapawai Market, which they were going to go by anyway, with the directions I gave them. I wanted to give them the easiest directions I could to ensure they got to the park, but I still think about not telling them about the shortcut behind the Kalapawai Market still!

Also, where ever I'm out getting my morning running miles in, I usually get asked, maybe every 3 to 4 runs, directions to somewhere. I get asked here in RI (Newport is the most frequent destination for directions) and I get asked while in Hawaii. (The last destination someone asked me while in HI was how to get to the Castle Medical Center).

I feel that I simply MUST be able to give directions when asked. Like I said, I take it personally, and boy, if I can't give directions...I feel so dumb!

Comment

no what surfingfarmboy... i kind of thought that of you... and I've never met you...

you just seem like a genuinely nice guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
                          A couple of tourists asked me in downtown Kailua (by Chip and Cookie) last December how to get to the Kailua Beach Park, and I gave them directions I felt they wouldn't screw up...directions where they could get to the park by entering it over by Buzz's before crossing the canal. Later, I rehashed in my mind that I could have told them that they could get to the park sooner by cutting in back of the Kalapawai Market, which they were going to go by anyway, with the directions I gave them. I wanted to give them the easiest directions I could to ensure they got to the park, but I still think about not telling them about the shortcut behind the Kalapawai Market still!
                          You did good. I'm sure they ended up at Kailua Beach. No big deal if they entered at the Kalapawai Market entrance or across from Buzz's.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                            no what surfingfarmboy... i kind of thought that of you... and I've never met you...

you just seem like a genuinely nice guy.
                            I say: "Ah shoots", in my best country-boy accent. I've always taken to heart what the bumper stickers say: "Live Aloha". No..you haven't met me yet, but I hope to see you next trip home later this year..that sounded like a great bash you had on the 2nd..maybe we can plan on doing something like again!

Comment

Working...
                            X