X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leo Lakio
    replied
    Re: Definition of "uku"

In addition to `uku as lice, specifically, doesn't it also get used to describe other little bodily insect infestations? The use of `uku in `ukulele is commonly translated as "flea" (as in "jumping flea.")

The typical abbreviation of the instrument is "uke," commonly pronounced "yook," which goes with the "yook-uh-lay-lee" way of saying it.

Which makes my ears hurt, even though it scans better in the hapa-haole song "`Ukulele Lady" than the more accurate "oo-koo-leh-leh."

Leave a comment:

• Pua'i Mana'o
    replied

I have *no clue* what pretty thoughts ran through the mind of the uku-sayer.

Leave a comment:

• Adri
    replied

Originally posted by waioli kai
    It's likely that "UKU" has other meanings in context of Hawai'ian language. Being a dummy myself as to such contexts/usages, I have nothing to offer, other than to say that I never heard any Hawaiian say "UKU" for the abbreviated way to say "ukulele". In fact, I do not recall Hawaiians ever using an abbreviated version of ANY of their vocabulary.
    *hangs my head in shame* I googled for uku definitions since I couldn't think of any other kind of uku other than lice and I thought there was a mention of "uku" as short for ukulele.

Happy Birthday Manoa (and whacks you once for each year of your age)

Well, thank you guys, I didn't realize there were other definitions for "uku" (payment or even the fishy kind).

The context is this: I dunno why but my friends were talking about how we have some sayings that are particular to Hawaii. "No worry, beef curry" was mentioned as one. A friend said that we could also say, "No worry, strawberry" because that rhymed too. There was disagreement that it rhymed. The friend said it would rhyme if I said "strawberry" like one uku (not the lice kine uku but the tita kind uku).

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

The "Tita Uku" is Uku Slaps!!!! hahahahahah

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• Pua'i Mana'o
    replied

'uku is lice.

uku is payment. Ka'u uku no ka hana: my wages for working. What was the context again? I cannot figure out what a "tita kind uku" is, and considering that I AM a tita, I should be able to deduce it.

Or, did the person doing the talking know what the heck s/he was talking about?

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    He wants you to talk like a crab

Maybe he's calling you a member of the The decapods.
    You would be getting ukapila whack whacks but today is your BD so you not!

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• damontucker
    replied

He wants you to talk like a crab

Maybe he's calling you a member of the The decapods.
    or Decapoda are an order of crustaceans within the class Malacostraca, including many familiar groups, such as crayfish, CRABS, lobsters, prawns and shrimp.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decapoda
    or maybe even this:
    In most decapods, the gonopores (sexual openings) are found on the legs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crabs

Just kidding... on the mainland "head lice" is often called crabs... I've only heard Uku's as a reference to "head lice" but who knows.... ?

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

You get two "uku" definitions.

Uku the lice version.

Uku the fish version: Uku Gray Snapper or Job Fish Summer!

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Adri --Does anyone know what "uku" means other than lice? and not short for ukulele. A friend told me that I needed to pronounce something "like one uku" but "not the uku uku but the tita kind uku" in order for something to make sense to me. I never heard of any other kind of uku and dunno what a "tita kind uku" means.--

Try go to a public elementary school and ask for the standard reprint of "UKU" that the DoE mandates. I wonder... do charter schools have a concern re: UKUs?

It's likely that "UKU" has other meanings in context of Hawai'ian language. Being a dummy myself as to such contexts/usages, I have nothing to offer, other than to say that I never heard any Hawaiian say "UKU" for the abbreviated way to say "ukulele". In fact, I do not recall Hawaiians ever using an abbreviated version of ANY of their vocabulary.

Could it be that only Euro-Americans are abbreviators of words and concepts? Facilitating the rush toward oblivious meanings, obliviousness?
    Last edited by waioli kai; September 12, 2006, 05:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Adri
    started a topic Definition of "uku"

Definition of "uku"

Does anyone know what "uku" means other than lice? and not short for ukulele. A friend told me that I needed to pronounce something "like one uku" but "not the uku uku but the tita kind uku" in order for something to make sense to me. I never heard of any other kind of uku and dunno what a "tita kind uku" means.
Working...
X