Toy memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toy memories

Do any of you remember the "Jingle Jump" from Romper Room? You fasten it around your, ankle swing that foot, and the bell in the ball at the end of the rope swung in a circle and you jumped over it with the other foot. It was a real calorie burner, which is probably what it was designed to do. I so enjoyed that!

I also have to say that my sister and I were the only girls in a neighborhood full of boys and when we weren't playing wiffle ball or football, we'd get out all the matchbox vehicles and take them to the park. We'd build castles and roadways and garages and tunnels and do that for hours. It was a blast.

I was looking to get my girls some Hotwheels last Christmas, but they're all motorized now and have spooky weird names and need batteries. Nothing beats the simple originals!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I used to love Major Matt Mason the astronaut . He was a cool toy in the early 70's.
      Last edited by alohabear; September 25, 2006, 05:56 AM.
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
        I remember in the mid 60s there was a toy called the Thingmaker. It had metal diecast molds of bugs and worms and stuff into which you pour some kind of latex liquid or something. You put the mold with the goo in it into the Thingmaker and turn it on. After a few minutes you had rubbery bugs and roaches that you can mess with. I think they later made an edible goo mixture so that you could later eat the bugs in front of unknowing people lol.

Anybody old enough to remember the Wheel-O or Rockem Sockem Robots?

Lol totally random thought.
        I do remember all of those things...Now about the Wheel-O are you refering to the handheld wheel that rode around on the metal track or are you talking about the 3 Wheel plastic tricyle also known as a Big Wheel?
        I was also fond of the Play Doh sets, Spiralgraph, Simon the electronic game, playing Frogger on the Commodore 64, and I recall really, really, really wanting an Atari or Colecovision game system. I loved playing with my younger brothers Hot Wheels/Tyco cars & tracks too.
        Any one remember the Robot that came with the Early Nintendo system?
        Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
          Geez if you have 2... I send you one box of macadamia nuts for one of em

I have the basketball version from Mattel. Not the retro but the original and it still works.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I will have to dig them out and see what all I have...I didn't know they made a "new" one that is the same...

http://www.amazon.com/Arco-Toys-Ltd-.../dp/B00007MIBZ

My husband has some Transformers (the original ones) and other things..maybe I will have to go on Ebay... He is a toy whore! He would kill me
            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
            Sharing withother survivors...
            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
              I will have to dig them out and see what all I have...I didn't know they made a "new" one that is the same...

http://www.amazon.com/Arco-Toys-Ltd-.../dp/B00007MIBZ
              I saw the retro versions and they look exactly like the originals. I even bought a retro Hot Wheels Mongoose die-cast car to match my original Hot Wheel's Snake funny car die cast. When I compared the two the retro was too close to tell. Even the copyright year was the same as my original.

Hmmm I wonder if I bought an orignal? I did pay close to $20 for this die cast. But I wanted to complete the pairing of these two cars 30-something years later it finally happened. You just can't get the kid outta me.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Forgot about this one... anyone ever had a Slinky?

Comment

Yes, could never make the darn thing walk down the stairs though
                  My younger sisters liked using them as bracelets

There was a long rectangular shaped handheld game that had these tan snap in cartridge faceplates of different games one of my favorite games on it was named Blockbuster I believe...anyone remember the name of that system?
                  Last edited by hawaiidreamin; October 6, 2006, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Ok I found the name- Microvision-man, did I love that game system...I think I will have to look on Ebay for a chance at the memories....

I also came across the Merlin system another handheld favorite that I forgot about...

Comment

I just bought metal slinkys for my son's birthday for 88 cents at WalMart...they lasted 5 minutes before they were so tangled they could not use them!

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                        Speaking of being an older brother to a kid sister... isn't it in the job description for us to torture our kid sisters? lol...
                        Hell yah!! I was the oldest and always had to watch my younger siblings. It'd piss me off cuz although I was nine, I had a social life ya know....with beating the crap outta the neighborhood boys, playing army, dodge ball, kickball, flag football and what not. Aw heck, I was always scaring my baby sister and prolly put her into therapy!

My fave toys were several 3 and 4 inch dolls I made from socks. And I designed and built them a doll house (complete with furniture) out of of cardboard boxes.
                        Lovena

Comment

My older brother had a tall robot (from Marx Toys) called "Big Loo." I was so impressed by it (hey, I was probably six at the time), because of all the things it could do: you could shoot ping-pong balls out of one arm, it had a built-in squirt gun (in the navel, I think), it shot suction-cup darts from its nipples (!), had blinking red eyes and binocular vision (you would stand behind it to move it towards people, on wheeled feet); it even had a little tiny "record" that played phrases when you turned a crank - things like "Big Loo will FIGHT for you!"

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                            Forgot about this one... anyone ever had a Slinky?
                            The origin of the slinky is rather interesting...

The origin of the famous “walking” spring toy actually begins in1945. Richard James, a naval engineer, was working with tension springs while trying to create a horsepower monitor for naval battleships. Richard watched intently as one of the springs fall to the floor; he was amazed at how it continued to “walk” along the floor. At that moment, the idea for creating the Slinky was born.
                            I think only had a Slinky once - at a very young age - in which not before long I ended up pulling the coil apart into just a useless, twisted piece of flat wire.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

My husband and I were talking about toys in the car not too long ago.

The coolest toys we had were the ones our parents bought for themselves.

I remember my parents bought a Nintendo set (with the robobot and duckhunt gun) and it was Christmas Eve and I snuck out to the livingroom to see if Santa had come yet and I heard my parents laughing hysterically with pow pow pow pow - then later on it was the noise the characters in Mario Bros. make when they hit the POW button. It wasn't til I was in college that I put it all together and realized my parents were playing with my toy from Santa.

My husband's dad used to buy him toys like a kit to build a radio and different science experiments so that if his kids didn't like them, he could play with them later.

I think the coolest toy that I still have is the Cabbage Patch Kid Snacktime doll that was yanked from shelves in the late 90s that would not only eat plastic food, but long hair, too! I also have one of the original "Little People" Cabbage Patch Kids, but that wasn't so cool then cuz mom had it wrapped in plastic so I couldnt play with it.

Comment

My gf was just in Washington and found a Cabbage Patch doll..Gina Talia..and I am not kidding. She sent pics to the Tonight show. Those Cabbage Patch people have some sense of humor! A sick one!

Comment

Working...
                                X