Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Recovery from quake

Originally posted by dana934 View Post
    I just heard about the earthquake the Big Island has had and, for one thing, want to extend blessings to everyone involved in the recovery work. For another, to those of us in a position to help financially: Please don't waste your money donating through Red Cross; something like a third of all you give them ever reaches the people for whom you intended it. Instead, find a reputable religious group on the island, or go through an organization like Oxfam or Friends Service Committee, known for delivering, in the form of goods and services, the huge majority of their revenues. This is not in any way to dis the Red Cross volunteers; on the contrary, there was a group that flew over from O`ahu to help after the 2000 flood, who were very kind.
    I agree with Dana. In the aftermath of Katrina, I send my contributions to the Baton Rouge Area Committee rather than the Red Cross, which helped some of the homeless people who escaped from New Orleans. Oxfam and AFSC are also good organizations, but Oxfam (I used to work for them) tends to focus on disasters in other parts of the world.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I just heard about the earthquake the Big Island has had and, for one thing, want to extend blessings to everyone involved in the recovery work. For another, to those of us in a position to help financially: Please don't waste your money donating through Red Cross; something like a third of all you give them ever reaches the people for whom you intended it. Instead, find a reputable religious group on the island, or go through an organization like Oxfam or Friends Service Committee, known for delivering, in the form of goods and services, the huge majority of their revenues. This is not in any way to dis the Red Cross volunteers; on the contrary, there was a group that flew over from O`ahu to help after the 2000 flood, who were very kind.
      I agree with Dana. In the aftermath of Katrina, I sent my contributions to the Baton Rouge Area Committee rather than the Red Cross, which helped some of the homeless people who escaped from New Orleans. Oxfam and AFSC are also good organizations, but Oxfam (I used to work for them) tends to focus on disasters in other parts of the world.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

• Re: Shake and Quake!

My mom always thought there was something weird about pulling up deep sea water and selling it. So she chuckled when she read today that the quake knocked those firms offline. "The sea gods are angry," she said.

Hope the oil refineries are right about their unexpected downtime being only temporary. Can't help but remember the last time they said that.

Meanwhile, my Mainland friends are sending me earthquake jokes relating to North Korea, or "LOST."

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post

Didn't you answer your own question about the pump?
          maybe so but it was just an educated guess; i wanted someone who knew more than me to confirm my hunch. you guyz so smat!
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I had to get car insurance today. I got there early. I waited one full hour cause the person was on lunch break. I listened to the receptionists talk about the Earthquake for one full hour. Same ting ova and ova. Stupid kind stuffs and accessments. I dared not intrude cause it would have been rude.

I wanted to cry and shout "Shut-up ALREADY!!!!! Old News!!!" but I just smiled and waited paitently.

Den my Insurance Representative came. Da first ting she told me..."Did ya feel it yesterday?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Aunty, you sooo funny it put a much needed smile on my face
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                Aunty, you sooo funny it put a much needed smile on my face
                K-den Aaron...here's something juss foa you.

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Another earthquake, 3.4 magnitude, shakes Big Island
                  Barry Hirshorn, a geophysicist with the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, said the temblor was centered in the channel between the Big Island and Maui in the same general area where two much stronger earthquakes occurred Sunday morning.
                  They've said there'd be seismic activity for a week or two, and they were right. I expect nerves will be a bit frayed in Hawaii County for a while... and those buildings that were damaged and deemed safe may need a few follow-up visits.

A coworker said yesterday he actually felt yesterday morning's 4.0 aftershock (that Konaguy reported) here in Honolulu.

Comment

find a reputable religious group
                    I think my brain just exploded.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      Meanwhile, my Mainland friends are sending me earthquake jokes relating to North Korea, or "LOST."
                      I had plans to go to Murakami Stadium to see a baseball game Sunday afternoon; somebody called in to P&P to say the game had been canceled, so I called my friend to tell him (called his cellphone on my line-powered phone; his regular phone wouldn't work), and we agreed that it was probably a DPRK subterranean nuclear test. We stopped before speculating on delivery systems.
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Tuesday's Corky at the Star Bulletin has a cartoon of what appears to be the North Korea leader saying to his generals with a missile in the background. "No need for nuclear, just hit one or two of their generators and we shut down the whole state."

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                          Tuesday's Corky at the Star Bulletin has a cartoon of what appears to be the North Korea leader saying to his generals with a missile in the background. "No need for nuclear, just hit one or two of their generators and we shut down the whole state."
                          Which reminds me of Noah's advice to the Lord in Cosby's famous comedy sketch: The Lord plans to make it rain for 4000 days to get rid of the sinners, and Noah says "Listen; let it rain forty days and forty nights and wait for the sewers to back up." The Lord says "Right."
                          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

What are some Hawaiian words for 'earthquake'? And how would you phrase it in pidgin?

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                              I had to get car insurance today. I got there early. I waited one full hour cause the person was on lunch break. I listened to the receptionists talk about the Earthquake for one full hour. Same ting ova and ova. Stupid kind stuffs and accessments. I dared not intrude cause it would have been rude.

I wanted to cry and shout "Shut-up ALREADY!!!!! Old News!!!" but I just smiled and waited paitently.

Den my Insurance Representative came. Da first ting she told me..."Did ya feel it yesterday?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
                              yea i think i be the same , love your humour
                              *Lorna* I'M BACK MISSING HAWAII
                              http://www.myspace.com/lorna_uk

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                And how would you phrase it in pidgin?
                                On KSSK, there were a variety of callers calling in to translate into different languages in the morning. One of the callers offered to translate into pidgin and it went something like, "Ya, da eart wuz shakin'. It's uh eartquake."

I giggled.

Comment

Working...
                                X