Shake and Quake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Shake and Quake!

I tried to go looting at the neighbors' but they'd already drunk all the wine, so I lost interest.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
      I tried to go looting at the neighbors' but they'd already drunk all the wine, so I lost interest.
      Man, when even the looters are laid back, you know it's Hawai'i style!
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

FYI:
        Newly aggressive FEMA ships out to Hawaii, finds no catastrophe
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Nice link Lavagal:

including a planeload of about 100 federal experts who arrived here to find no catastrophe....
          You notice how fast they responded when it's Hawaii
          By the time the charter jet lifted off from Oakland Monday night, there were strong indications that Hawaii had not been devastated. The plane took off anyway, bearing experts from nearly a dozen agencies, including the Departments of Energy, Transportation, Agriculture and Health and Human Services.
          The workers stayed at government expense in high-end Oahu hotels - about the only kind of hotel here - with reduced federal rates. For instance, many stayed at the Moana Sheraton Surfrider, steps from the beach in Waikiki, for $170 a night, compared with the usual rate of $228 the AP reporter was charged.
          Well at least they came I guess

Comment

Gee, wonder why they might have mobilized faster and with a substantial team to help in Hawaii, versus, say, New Orleans.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
              Gee, wonder why they might have mobilized faster and with a substantial team to help in Hawaii, versus, say, New Orleans.
              Hmmm... maybe because they caught a crapload of flak for their response in Louisiana and didn't want to screw this up?

Go ahead and make all the jokes you want, but at least they got out here ASAP. If they waited a week before coming, people would've been bitching about the lack of response.

Comment

The problem is since the population on the Big Island is spread out, overall damage cannot easily be seen by a helicopter. You have to do house by house inspections to see the full extent of the damage.

Try telling that to the Hulihe'e Palace curators or the Mokuaikaua Church that there is not catastrophic damage
                Last edited by Konaguy; October 19, 2006, 12:05 PM.
                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Looks like the observatories up on Mauna Kea took a hit.
                  "In astronomy, even a movement by a few nanometers makes a significant impact on the accuracy of our systems," Kinoshita said. "So we need to update our systems to factor in the new position of the telescope.
                  http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061019/...ake_telescopes

The 13,796-foot Mauna Kea is traditionally sacred for Hawaiians as the meeting place of the sky god Wakea and the earth mother Papa, who eventually became the parents of the first ancestor of the Hawaiian people.
                  http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0366/1020/NEWS

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
                    Chaos? What chaos? I was driving all over the island all day and saw no "chaos."

Sure, people were inconvenienced, but it was hardly "chaos."

Chaos is looting and pillaging. Fires and anarchy. What we had were a bunch of people standing in line to buy some ice. And for the most part everyone treating intersections as four-way stops.
                    Indeed. I had perhaps the nicest Sunday ever. Visited with some friends back in Kalihi Valley and had a barbeque. Took a walk to the licky stow, and people were barbequeing, throwing horseshoes. Absolutely no evidence of anything out of the ordinary.

It reminded me of when I was a kid. I loved blackouts. I never wanted the lights to come back on. Black Sunday was the only vacation I'm gonna have for a long, long time.
                    Don't be mean,
                    try to help.

Comment

Aww, this last post by Jdub made me feel a bit nostalgic, thanks.

ya know, I think this showed us all how we aren't prepared enough, and this, though I am sorry it had to happen was a good test. My family saw that we had so many things, crank radios, tons of batteries, a landline phone of old, plenty cases drinking water, tons of canned, chunky soups, some that are even really good, etc, but man did we find something we better think about....

If the electricity had been off more than nine hours or whatever, if the water supply had run dry cuz of not being able to pump more, how would we flush the toilet? We have, but we didn't see the need to use six, 32 gallon trash cans that are clean, new and ready for water. I wonder if they are enough, and if there's another shaker, we're going ahead and filling them with a little bleach and lot of water, just in case. I've talked to friends that also don't have a pool or jacuzzi and they didn't have any large containers for water, for flushing.

Now, not a scare tactic, what I am about to say. I think we may get another quake that size cuz we have so very few aftershocks. Yesterday, just 116?! NOT enough for two quakes that size and now they say the second may not have been an aftershock of the first, so if these really were two separate events, definitely, in my opinion, not even aftershocks, so they maybe......were foreshocks. Not scared, not worried, just seeing that we best get totally prepared.
                      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                        Now, not a scare tactic, what I am about to say. I think we may get another quake that size cuz we have so very few aftershocks. Yesterday, just 116?! NOT enough for two quakes that size and now they say the second may not have been an aftershock of the first, so if these really were two separate events, definitely, in my opinion, not even aftershocks, so they maybe......were foreshocks. Not scared, not worried, just seeing that we best get totally prepared.
                        Didn't you guys have a quake not too long ago, discussed in this thread
                        http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php
                        t=9584&highlight=earthquake

Maybe THAT was a "foreshock"
                        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I think the media has beat this NEWS( since Sunday) to the ground. Let's give it a rest and move on. They will be more Earthquakes, tsunamis ,and hurricanes, so let's all learn something and go on with our lives. Aloha!
                          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                            Hmmm... maybe because they caught a crapload of flak for their response in Louisiana and didn't want to screw this up?

Go ahead and make all the jokes you want, but at least they got out here ASAP. If they waited a week before coming, people would've been bitching about the lack of response.
                            Well it now looks like FEMA's Trying to Charge Louisianna....

I hope they don't try to charge Hawaii for their 100+ Delegation they sent over here.

BATON ROUGE, La. - Louisiana's legislative auditor recommended Friday that the state pay 88 percent of what the
                            Federal Emergency Management Agency is seeking in reimbursement for hurricane recovery efforts, saying the rest of the money was either improperly spent or couldn't be accounted for...
                            http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061020/...nes_fema_audit

Comment

• Damage to Hulihe'e Palace, Big Island

Last week's earthquakes on the Big Island near Kona caused severe structural damage to many buildings. One of the severely damaged buildings was Hulihe'e Palace, long the summer residence of the ali'i.

According to the following press release, total damage estimates have not yet been calculated (a structural engineer was to tour the building this past Wednesday, and today the building was "red tagged" as unsafe). The Daughters of Hawai'i, who are the caretakers of this palace and the Queen Emma Palace in Honolulu, already had embarked on a $250,000 capital fundraising campaign, but with the damage caused by the earthquakes, additional money (now estimated at an additional $1 million) will be required to restore the building.

If you are interested in making a contribution to help restore this very important part of Hawai'i's past, please call the Daughters of Hawai'i at (808) 595-6291.

Here are some pictures of the damage to the palace.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

FEMA crews are on hand on O'ahu to staff disaster relief centers assuming the president signs the expanded disaster declaration, civil defense officials said.
                                http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...073826149.html

They are staffing disaster relief centers on Oahu???? So how many Oahu residents are staying in these so called relief centers and who are they relieving here? I'm sorry FEMA... but if anything... your workers should be on the Big Island looking at the damages there... Instead of here on Oahu

I bet Waikiki beach is looking pretty devastated from your rooms at the upscale Hotels your staying at!

Comment

Working...
                                X