Milky Way?

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied
    Re: Stargazing anyone?

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    I think you need a meteor shower.
    OH YUM!

Sex I can get ANY time, but meteors.... I have to follow their schedules and BEG!

(uh, you got a phone number for the meteor shower???)

K ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Leave a comment:

• Creative-1
    replied

I have a 6“ telescope and watch from my backyard in Kalihi Valley. A few great things to see this time of year:

Jupiter is the brightest object besides the moon. You can easily see its 4 Galilean moons with a small telescope. They are in a different position each night.

Andromeda galaxy (near Cassiopeia - shaped like a W) is the most distant object visible to the naked eye. In dark conditions, it looks like a dim patch of light about the size of the moon. It's actually more than 6 times the relative size of the moon.

Andromeda is an hour or two behind jupiter and above the ecliptic.

Following those two - rising later - are the Pleiades. It's a globular cluster (a group of 100-200 stars usually) that is part of Hawaiian mythology (an nearly every other world culture).

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    I love, no LOVE stargazing!
    Meteors are better than sex!
    I think you need a meteor shower.

Leave a comment:

• cyleet99
    replied

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    Meteors are better than sex.K~

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied

I love, no LOVE stargazing!
    Meteors are better than sex!

Darker the better. Any of the Windward roads up out of C&C streetlights is OK.
    Ahuimanu, Waihe`e, Waikane, etc.
    Been looking tonight, but nothing yet.... Gotta go take my Staragria.

K~
    Last edited by Kaonohi; December 13, 2009, 10:52 PM. Reason: Falling Stars

Leave a comment:

• cyleet99
    replied

Tonight's the night for the Geminids...14 in two minutes...woohoo! And that is standing on my "virtual lanai" looking out over the ocean. I do have some light pollution, but I saw plenty enough for me!

Leave a comment:

• SouthKona
    replied

Originally posted by PatrickBABOON View Post
    Well, I live in Kapolei. Second city, lots of light pollution. Sometimes I can get a good view if I turn off all the lights in my yard late at night. I wanna know where you guys would go stargazing or just really good dark spots to gaze at stellar objects.
    We used to go to Lanai Lookout, but I don't know if there are now lights around there that would interfere.

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied

44 mile mark on Saddle Road seems like it might be pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• tikiyaki
    replied

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
    Why just last night..........

I was looking at some Jessica Alba site, and the wife walks by and says "If I were dead, would you want her?"

I said "if she were here right now, I'd do her in front of you"

I think I remember the pan hitting my head, but I definitely remember the stars....those beatuful stars........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

LOLOLOLOL!!!!

Leave a comment:

• DiverDown808
    replied

Why just last night..........

I was looking at some Jessica Alba site, and the wife walks by and says "If I were dead, would you want her?"

I said "if she were here right now, I'd do her in front of you"

I think I remember the pan hitting my head, but I definitely remember the stars....those beatuful stars........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

I got Starry Night 5 loaded on my PC, last time I stargazed was last Christmas at my dad's place. Even though I returned in late March 2006 didn't have a chance to stargaze back then.

Leave a comment:

• timkona
    replied

I'm an amateur astronomer most of my life. Worked on Mauna Kea as a guide for 2 years. Got a small telescope, and a good set of binoculars that I prefer.

Spent the weekend teaching my daughter while camping up at Volcano Cabins.

Leave a comment:

• PBatoon
    replied

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
    Unless you're one of those pyros who needs a 15 foot bonfire to set the mood, then no...having a fire while stargazing won't work.

XD Hahha yeah, a nice fire would be nice. Yokohama beach sounds like a good stargazing place.

Leave a comment:

• WindwardOahuRN
    replied

The Bishop Museum has a stargazing group. A nurse I used to work with was one of the "docents" (I don't know if that's the right word but what the heck) at the planetarium. I know they used to go up near Dillingham Air Field to stargaze and had lots of events that were open to the public. It might be fun to go with a group that has some knowledge.

Here's some info from the museum, with some great links:

http://bishopmuseum.org/planetarium/planetarium.html

And some stuff about the stargazing group---the Dillingham "Star Parties" are for members or guests of members only but the public is invited to the Kahala events:

http://www.hawastsoc.org/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X