Ringing In the New Year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ringing In the New Year!

I drank too much Coke Cola tonight! Luckily I don't go work in a few hours, because I can't sleep.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Despite ample opportunities, I am not drunk at all. However, I enjoyed watching everyone else get trashed while I nursed my drinks, and I am trying to forget the trauma of dodging all the puke all over the bathroom and sidewalks at Pearl Nightclub.

Happy New Year, all! If ya went out, hope you returned safe and without a major hangover. If ya stayed in, I hope ya had fun and enjoyed the crazy people from the safety of your abode.

Comment

The dynamics of my usual New Year's group have changed a lot in recent years. People get married, people's parents become ill and need care. After trying to throw some last-minute plans together with other friends who I knew would be alone but who did not return calls quickly enough for my taste, I ended up spending the evening at home alone.

It was nice. It's been some time since I've spent New Year's Eve alone (when that was once the norm, by choice). I cleaned up some, played video games some, played online interactive games some, and watched football some. Then I took myself to see Charlotte's Web and was home for the last half hour of 2006. I kept the television off and spent the first couple of hours of 2007 reflecting and cruising LibraryThing. Now I'm eating what feels like my sixth meal of the day (a grilled chicken breast with some wasabi mashed potatoes). I figure on turning in at around 4. I love being on vacation.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I was slightly buzzed from drinking a couple of cups of white wine, decided to turn on the A/C around 10pm, went channel surfing after the KGMB news was over and came across a Star Wars marathon on one of the Cinemax channels. Attack of the Clones was on during the midnight hour but I did not hear any massive amount of fireworks when midnight came which is pretty odd.

I went to sleep around 3am and just got up.

Comment

we almost slept through it. we were supposed to go down to the local cantina, but i was worried about maybe getting a dui, or maybe getting hit by another drunk driver.

so i'm home, getting buzzed on mimosas. a late start, i know.

Comment

Pounded some sacred 'awa with a whisky back.

Good night everyone.

pax

Comment

Kids puking, New Year came in with bowls!
                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                Sharing withother survivors...
                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

The AF & I watched the Space Needle fireworks from our deck (as usual); decided not to pop open the champagne, as it was just the two of us. A shot of Bailey's instead. After spending a lot of time recently helping my mother recover from surgery (she moved to the region in July, but had surgery & recovery near us in Seattle), we decided to keep it low-key. Watching the post-event traffic mess in the neighborhood for a couple hours makes us appreciate our two-second commute.

As for today's plans - the AF is a cleaning dervish prior to New Year's Day, then follows a Japanese philosophy of not doing any major cleaning for one week after, so we relax with videos, books, music, newspapers, and soon, a nice long walk in the mild drizzle so common to the PNW this time of year.

Hau`oli makahiki hou. May 2007 find you in good spirits and better health.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
                    Sat at home, watched the Dr Who Christmas special, and baking Taro bread.

Actually new years' was 40 minutes ago here... Just waiting for the bread to finish now. Mmmm... purple bread...
                    Wasnt that latest dr who xmas special awesome?!

Also, I've been thinking of buying a bread maker, how hard is it to use and what ingredients do you need?

We spent the day cooking as friends were coming over. We visited wife's mom in the hospital, who is very ill. We went back home and finished cooking, nephew made a 35lb ball of magic whip firecrackers. We ignited it sometime after midnight and it was amazing.
                    Its really ridiculous what happens when you get 3 guys together with $200+ to spend on blowing things up. We were 15 feet away and we felt the heat from the resulting fireball. Its amazing we didnt blow up the neighborhood.

Happy New Years!
                    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                      Wasnt that latest dr who xmas special awesome?!
                      I dunno, I was always a big fan of the old school Dr Who, and I thought they haven't been quite as good since Tennant started. I'm not sure it's his fault (though I liked Eccleston a bit more), they just seemed to get more and more Americanized as far as the cinematography... loud, dramatic music, schizo camera cuts, etc.

I saw enough in the previews for the coming season to make me happy though. And there's also Torchwood, which has its own weirdnesses, but is still fun.

Also, I've been thinking of buying a bread maker, how hard is it to use and what ingredients do you need?
                      I think it just short-cuts the bread making process a little bit, like any other modern kitchen gadget. Normal bread making involves letting yeast sit in warm water for a bit, mixing it with flour and various other things, kneading it, letting it rise, sometimes letting it rise again after punching it, and then baking it for a while. Bread makers tend to reduce that to "dump all the ingredients in and push a button".

I'm a fan of the process too though... so I do it that way

The bread really did come out purple, for what it's worth. Weird looking stuff, very mild poi taste to it.

We were 15 feet away and we felt the heat from the resulting fireball. Its amazing we didnt blow up the neighborhood.
                      Nice. My dad one time decided to demonstrate to me what happens when you put a match in a can of smokeless gun powder. I think it was still more potent than he expected.. we ended up with some missing arm hair That's Texas for you though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                        [...]Its amazing we didnt blow up the neighborhood.[...]
                        Holey moley! You are SO right!

Comment

Re: What are your NYE plans?

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                          Stay inside, worry about the idiot neighbors and their possible aerials, and tranquilize the dog heavily. I hate New Year's Eve with an abiding passion.
                          I hear you, Link. A pity it wouldn't help your dog (unless that ferry gets going soon and is pet friendly!), but our solution is now, officially, to get the heck outta dodge. We were on the Big Island and enjoyed the relative peace and quiet.

I say relative because, in residential Hilo, there was definitely a lot of noise and smoke, but we were cocooned in a high-floor hotel room on Banyan Drive with the door shut and the AC droning. There was still smoke in the air, but the kids, my wife and I slept like babies.

After I snuck out to Safeway for some champagne and caviar, that is. We scarfed it down as we watched some cheesy music video countdown on VH1.

Next year, we wanna be in a rental cabin up in the forests 'round Volcano. Though most, we're already finding, are already booked!

Comment

Sounds like we need to throw a party in Seattle and invite all the HT folks with asthma to fly over...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              Sounds like we need to throw a party in Seattle and invite all the HT folks with asthma to fly over...
                              Hahahaha! Yeah, last night's fireworks off the Space Needle looked like they kinda fizzled at the beginning (was that long pause between the beginning of the music and the start of the fireworks planned, or did something not fire off?). Somehow Quadrant Homes (a subsidiary of Weyerhaeuser and the sponsor of the fireworks last night) just doesn't have the moolah to put on the kind of show that an Ivars or a Comcast can pull off for the 4th of July. Maybe Clearwire will sponsor a fireworks display next year...

It was very very very quiet in my neighborhood last night, primarily because the idjits across the street (the ones who belong in Auburn or Kent or Algona---that's a Seattle insider's joke) moved this past summer. I bet the ID will be pretty smoky for Chinese New Year, though.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                Woo hoo, I'll be there

My neighborhood was actually amazingly quiet last night. A few fireworks were set off after midnight, for maybe 15 minutes... a couple of times during the day people drove by with their monster bass cars. That's about it. 'Course the triple-paned windows probably help a lot...

Comment

Working...
                                X