This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pet Peeve of the Day

People who empty their car's ashtray into the trashcan you've left out by the street. Ho, da stink!

Dog owners too.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      Dog owners too.

Wha, you just randomly dislike all dog owners? On principle?
      Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
      Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
        Wha, you just randomly dislike all dog owners? On principle?
        *sigh* I ass/u/me-d it was reasonably obvious in the context that it was dog owners that made "deposits" into garbage cans that don't belong to them. My bad.

Comment

*sigh* I ass/u/me-d it was reasonably obvious in the context that it was dog owners that made "deposits" into garbage cans that don't belong to them. My bad.

It was to me...
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

So I'm walking down Kalakaua ave. yesterday afternoon, waiting to cross the intersection where Niketown is, when up pulls this newer model Silver Mustang in the second lane over. The rather clean-cut caucasion male driver (only occupant) opens his door and dumps an entire pack's worth of cigarette butts and a huge pile of ashes from his ashtray onto the road next to his car, quickly shuts his door then proceeds to drive as the light changes. Right there in the middle of Waikiki, he leaves this huge pile of cigarette filth!

My blood was boiling with anger and disgust.

I tried to get his plate number, but a large tour van approaching in the first lane blocked my view and it was too late. I believe the littering fine is currently $500.

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              The rather clean-cut caucasion male
              ...and the relevance to these descriptives is...? People have gotten canned for statements like "nappy-headed ho" recently; this is just mirror-imaging, but the same thing, you realize.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                ...and the relevance to these descriptives is...? People have gotten canned for statements like "nappy-headed ho" recently; this is just mirror-imaging, but the same thing, you realize.
                Oh, I knew someone was gonna go there with that part of the description.

Him being "clean-cut" was what made it even more amazing. You'd think someone with a neat appearance would be the last to see littering. Well, I guess not. Saying someone is "clean-cut" surely is much more positive than describing someone as a "nappy-headed ho". Now if I said "f'ing haole", than that might be a problem.

Describing him as being caucasian (I'm mostly caucasian b-t-w) wasn't intended as a way to shed light on a negative stereotype to any particular race, just a factual observation. If he were black, polynesian or asian, I would have said so.

Just the facts of the act.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

My bad for not adding the obligatory smiley face to show that I was just joking around

It's a bigger problem around here for people to just let their dog go in the middle of the sidewalk and leave it there. I'd be happy for them to put it in anyone's (mine included) garbage rather than to just leave it in the middle of where I'm walking.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                    Oh, I knew someone was gonna go there with that part of the description.

Describing him as being caucasian (I'm mostly caucasian b-t-w) wasn't intended as a way to shed light on a negative stereotype to any particular race, just a factual observation. If he were black, polynesian or asian, I would have said so.
                    's okay, Pomai - I wasn't upset with you, and I recognized the obvious red flag. I just wanted to get people thinking about the fact that race and gender aren't relevant to this sort of behavior (unless you're putting out an APB to watch for this lolo - in which case, you'd go into far MORE detail, I'm sure.)

Mentioning that it was a woman or an Asian or long-haired or whatever just adds a level of implication that should be considered with great caution, that's all. ANY comment of that kind will feed somebody's erroneous generalizations.

Stereotyping like that (which you may have done subconsciously - or not at all - but I know you see what I meant) qualifies as a pet peeve, I guess.

Comment

My bad for not adding the obligatory smiley face to show that I was just joking around
                      I got sucked into that one.

Yeah, there are worse things they could do. But then again, they could do better, too.

Comment

I got sucked into that one.

Yeah, there are worse things they could do. But then again, they could do better, too.

Nah, I forget that I'm new here, people don't know me yet. For all you know I was getting all offended over nothing. Pet owners can be weird (says the girl who keeps rats).

Of course, I live in a part of town where it's not unusual to see people peeing on the side of the building.. that's why I won't sit/lean on -anything-
                        ...and of course, you know they don't wash their hands after..
                        I have the sudden urge to wash my own hands..

But worst of all is the mounted police and their horses going right in the middle of the road, then people drive through it and it gets everywhere... urk! Should be illegal.

Comment

But worst of all is the mounted police and their horses going right in the middle of the road, then people drive through it and it gets everywhere... urk! Should be illegal.
                          Hmmm. I thought they required "diapers" for the horses. I think they do for the commercial horse-drawn carriages.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Stereotyping like that (which you may have done subconsciously - or not at all - but I know you see what I meant) qualifies as a pet peeve, I guess.
                            And so does your interpretation of it. As it is commonly, here at HT.

But I see your point.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

It's a bigger problem around here for people to just let their dog go in the middle of the sidewalk and leave it there. I'd be happy for them to put it in anyone's (mine included) garbage rather than to just leave it in the middle of where I'm walking.
                              I think I feel a dogpoop-on-French-streets thread coming.
                              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Do NOT flush when the train is at the station.

Because the poop just goes right out onto the tracks.

I don't understand why people don't bother to read the signs that are posted in the toilets, saying just this, in a number of different languages.

It's much more fun to flush while the train is moving, and look into the toilet to watch the tracks flash by.

SNCF, the French national railway system, uses pink toilet paper. This is what we saw on the tracks at the station, when we were there this afternoon.

http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X