X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pet Peeve of the Day

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
    the many fairy tales that tell girls that someday, some handsome, rich, and charming man will sweep her off her feet, marry her, and they will live happily ever after, simple as that = media poisoning.
    The July 24, 2007 issue of Mother Goose & Grimm has Grimm and Attila encountering Prince Charming who is trying to juggle things with Snow White, Cinderalla and Sleeping Beauty. In fact the entire week seems to be parodying the various fairy tale genre.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      Why are job applications leading to spam?
      Spammers harvest e-mail addresses from resumes posted online. Employment counselors advise that you set up an e-mail address exclusively for your job searches, separate from your regular address. Looks like Adrian has already done so - and is reaping a harvest of spam already, which reinforces the counselors' advice. Once you get a job, you can trash (or ignore) the address.
      Along those lines, let me pitch "media poisoning" - the endless repetition of something in the media to the point that we believe it's true. Like shooting out the tires of a car will cause it to stop. (Seems to come up every time the cops end up having to shoot a driver that's a danger to everyone.)
      I believe Mythbusters tackled this one recently, didn't they?
      I wonder how much media poisoning affects our love lives since most adolescents experience love on the big and small screens far more then in their personal lives.
      Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
      ah-ha! then here's my pet peeve for today:
      the many fairy tales that tell girls that someday, some handsome, rich, and charming man will sweep her off her feet, marry her, and they will live happily ever after, simple as that = media poisoning.
      Songwriters are some of the best at addressing this kind of stuff. Canadian musician Stephen Fearing, in "Race Of Fractions" (about the way we divide ourselves in society - I'd put this in a certain thread about Women and Men, but that's a radioactive zone at present), has this verse:
      We teach our little girls submission
      As the best way to survive
      And the measurement of beauty
      Becomes the ruler of their lives.
      The little boys are marched away
      And everything is fine
      Till they fall hard upon the road
      Their emotions far behind.

Comment

My pet peeve of the day is having too many pet peeves and not doing anything about it.

cool.. thanks for reading
        Ebb And Flow

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          Spammers harvest e-mail addresses from resumes posted online.
          OK, that makes sense. I couldn't figure out how an application would lead to one. If I post one on-line, I'll have to see how to best obscure it from 'bots.

I believe Mythbusters tackled this one recently, didn't they?
          Could be. But all you have to do is watch some of those police chase videos to see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
            Hmmm....I must write a story in my blog about the squat kind of Turkish toilets, which are commonly found, here in France.

Hope they don't have those in the bars there.
            My pet peeve today is any auto executive who ever thought the cost savings justified not integrating a car horn switch under the driver-side airbag. Could have prevented a rented Sebring from almost occupying my time-space existence last night. Vinyl-upholstered thumb-sized switches along the rim of a steering wheel couldn't have been the result of an engineering department brainstorming session.
            Luckily, my reflexes are almost what they used to be.
            "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
              Hope they don't have those in the bars there.
              My pet peeve today is any auto executive who ever thought the cost savings justified not integrating a car horn switch under the driver-side airbag. Could have prevented a rented Sebring from almost occupying my time-space existence last night. Vinyl-upholstered thumb-sized switches along the rim of a steering wheel couldn't have been the result of an engineering department brainstorming session.
              Luckily, my reflexes are almost what they used to be.
              Yep. In bars, schools, public places...my pet peeve is...using them is hard enough, especially if you wear trousers...but flush them and you get your feet wet!
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

My pet peeve is toward the overly-fragrant-gone-to-seed woman who rides my bus. I complained to the driver after the third time she sprayed something on herself as she was grooming during the ride. Each time it hit me, too. So today stinky pants sits behind me. I smell this sharp fragrance and looked around. She starts yelling at me. Do you smell something? I said yes, it smells bad. She says, IT'S NOT ME so quit turning around and giving me dirty looks. So I don't. I just continue to read my paper. Then she yells at me again. I don't look. (I STILL AM NOT SURE IF THERE IS A CAMERA on the bus, but that would be fun!) I plan to put my iPod in from now on, even if I don't turn it on. Flippin. Freak.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I did a reverse pet peeve this morning: Talking on the cell while waiting for the light in the turn only lane. Next thing I hear is horns honking. I proceed through the light but the delay was long enough where only a couple more cars could make it through the light. Sorry to the five other cars.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                    I did a reverse pet peeve this morning: Talking on the cell while waiting for the light in the turn only lane. Next thing I hear is horns honking. I proceed through the light but the delay was long enough where only a couple more cars could make it through the light. Sorry to the five other cars.

wasn't me, and wasn't eric either. twas a honk-free day.

cute how you confess over here, tho.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I hate automated email responses that links to 404 pages.

(I got a new vanity plate idea!)
                      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Once you get a job, you can trash (or ignore) the address.
                        Or in my case, delete it. Man, I love having my own domain(s).
                        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

We went to Farmer's Market. I've been craving foa Ake and Raw Squid. When I went to Haili's, no moa Ake. Had Raw Squid but the bugga looked ummm...neba mind.heheheh Don't you just hate it when you craving foa sumting and no moa?

I settled foa Korean Style Raw Squid and several types of Poke.

Bought Poi too.

Bliss.

No diet today and tomorrow.

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Neighbors who have a outdoor Karaoke party. I'm a block away and can still hear them. I'm very tempted to go outside and yell "you suck!"

Comment

Neighbors who have a outdoor Karaoke party. I'm a block away and can still hear them. I'm very tempted to go outside and yell "you suck!"
                              I have a song request!

You Light Up My Life by Debbie Boone!

Pretty please?
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

my PPOD is the lack of diet, non-caffeinated drink options at most food joints, particularly the national fast food chains. while i will grant that JITB chicken sandwiches & fish & chips aren't the healthiest things to eat, and that i could easily drink tap water (PUR water filter makes even turpintine-y kaimuki water good), twould be nice to have sierra mist free or diet sprite as an ubiquitous option. i can't imagine that it would cost much more to have one more choice at the fountain, tho i could be wrong.
                                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                                X