Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you own a gun?

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
    There are varmits which need to be controlled including coyotes which will prey on weak calves. Then there are the inevitably sad times when an injured horse must be put down and the most humane way to do that is quickly. Wolves were not unknown in the area, and though we never shot one, we would fire a couple of rounds to scare them off.
    Ah. Got it. Yeah, I guess a gun's the best tool for the job when you need to kill something, or threaten to kill it.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
      Gun not my style, too humane. I prefer a spiked baseball bat. The feel of a caved-in skull vibrating through my bat up to my grip hands ... is orgasmic.
      Nah too fast. I prefer the slow painful death sequence. Hit em in the knee caps and watch em fall. Then a stab to the gut for the long and agonizingly painful death by bleeding.

That's why I love/hate Steven Segal movies. All that hatred he garners on the goons that are protecting the guy that wasted his wife ends up with a quick snap of the neck and the movie's over. DAS IT? No begging for mercy? No agony before death? What kind of Revenge movie was dat?

If it was my wife as the victim, the killer would see a very long painful death. No Mercy from me pal.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
        I'm fine with a person's right to own a firearm.

Personally I stay away from them.

I grew up with guns around the house, my dad went hunting regularly. I wasn't, however, allowed to play with toy guns... not even water pistols. My parents' idea being that a gun is not a toy. Aiming, pulling triggers, all that should never be done for "fun." When you pull the trigger, you are in the position to kill something. That should not be a form of fun.

Of course, as soon as I went to my friends' house, out would come the toy guns.

And that idea that a gun is not a toy has always stuck with me. I've been to firing ranges, I've taken gun courses. I've shot everything from a BB gun to an M-16. I've toyed with the idea of buying a gun for "recreational shooting."

But I always found myself coming back to the idea that a gun's sole purpose is to kill. I'm not comfortable having fun with that. Guns are serious business, and I feel they shouldn't be taken lightly for any reason.

As for having it in the house for protection, honestly, I don't know if I could actually kill a human. And the possibility for fatal error increases too much -- I hear a noise... must be an intruder... grab the gun... kill some guy holding a cell phone trying to rip off my guitar. Sure, a silly scenario, but you get the point. Not worth killing in my book. Anyway, I'd probably miss, the shot goes through the wall and through the neighbor's wall and kills him while he's sleeping. Talk about a completely avoidable farce. People often forget that in addition to your target, you have to be prepared to kill anything behind it as well.

Anyway, people "go down to the range" to "practice with their handguns" which they have "for protection." I'd venture that firing at a moving target in the dark at close range with loved ones behind several walls isn't as easy as shooting in broad daylight at a still target 45-yards away. But that's just conjecture.
        I could haven't said it better......Although my guns are not easily accessable.
        I have other forms of deterents in case intruders break in. but I wish we could have personal tasers.

Comment

If you gotta think if you could kill a person with a gun then you shouldn't own one because that moment's hesitation when confronting a person with a loaded gun will ultimately end in your demise.

Never point a weapon at another human being unless you intend on dropping him. Otherwise that person will drop you first.

Hesitation kills. That's what they taught me in Basic Training during wet fire.

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek View Post
            I could haven't said it better......Although my guns are not easily accessable.
            I have other forms of deterents in case intruders break in. but I wish we could have personal tasers.
            Yeah makes for excellent spousal control And speedtek, thanks for the laugh on your PM that was a riot

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
              I have 3 boys so my gun is locked up and trigger locked and locked some more.......I am the opposite of most. I don't feel safe in my home without a gun.
              Which brought me to my reasoning of just getting rid of my gun. First of all, exactly how safe is your gun from your children? Secondly, if it's that safe, how fast would you be able to get to it if you heard someone kick in your front door and start coming for you and your family?

I never could get to a satisfactory compromise.

I'm tellin ya, Rottweilers are the handguns of this century

Be safe

DD
              www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post

Be safe
                DD
                Just a couple of weeks ago an Allstate insurance agent said that their company would rather not insure a house that had a big dog. Nevermind that the big dog might actually behave like a 60-pound puppy.

But it was OK if you had a gun. Huh? Go figure.

For me: I got guns and dogs. The dogs run loose in the yard. The guns are locked up. Except for the air guns.

I considered the possibility of shooting someone in self defense and agree with Craigwatanabe: If you gotta think about it when it happens, it's too late.

I decided that if I had to I would. If it's serious to warrant pulling a gun, then it's serious to warrant deadly force. And there ain't no such thing as a a fair fight if you have to protect your family.

When the time comes your mind has to be set. And when you do pull the trigger it has to be with the intent to make a decisive result. If the other person is armed, even with a knife, you can't fire a warning shot or hope to shoot them in the legs.

You have to shoot to stop them at that moment. And often that means a mortal wound.

Afterward, you have to be willing to carry the burden of what you did for the rest of your life. If you've never killed something before, not even a bird with an air rifle, you won't understand what it truly means.

If you can't stand the thought of it, then don't buy one for that purpose. But if the worst should happen, you have to accept the mayhem forced upon your family.

And then you have to be willing to accept the possibility that you might lose, too. Someone I met years ago, Toshio Kawano, lost a gunfight. He was an honest man trying to defend his business but some jerk trying to rob him managed to fire a fatal round.

Hopefully none of us ever has to face that.

Comment

I suppose if you look at the stats, there are more incidences involving attacks from big dogs rather than shootings. Risk management, dontcha know. Our agent didn't even blink when I included firearms in our HO policy.

As for self defense, I think it's sad if a person has to think first when his family is in peril. I for one will not hesitate in defense of my family. Anyone coming through my door with the intent to harm, mame or kill my family is toast. Unfortunately, thinking of all those great ways to make'em suffer a slow demise goes out the window in the heat of the moment. I know what you mean, Craig, but it's usually seen in hindsight. Aw, shucks, I shoulda....

In our house, we have early detection alarms. A bunch of small, yappy, nippy dogs.

Comment

Which brought me to my reasoning of just getting rid of my gun. First of all, exactly how safe is your gun from your children? Secondly, if it's that safe, how fast would you be able to get to it if you heard someone kick in your front door and start coming for you and your family?

Be safe

DD

HAH! unless MY Rottie was my big baby....i miss Makoa & Kekoa

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      [hackles]
                      Who wants to know?
                      Intersting that this is a "public poll."
                      [/hackles]
                      Just to be clear - I have no issue with guns, or the majority of gun owners. In my own experiences, I've found them to be responsible owners and users, quite aware of the dangers and willing to take the necessary steps to prevent any tragic circumstances.

But my original question stands, and I'm surprised that there haven't been more responses along these lines (yes, Craig - I saw you ask again.) Maybe I have a trickle of Libertarian in me, but it seems like the correct response is "none of your damn business." Ask me about shoe trees, no problem; but ask about gun ownership --- with a PUBLIC poll, so everyone can see who answers --- I have concerns.

Comment

But my original question stands, and I'm surprised that there haven't been more responses along these lines (yes, Craig - I saw you ask again.) Maybe I have a trickle of Libertarian in me, but it seems like the correct response is "none of your damn business." Ask me about shoe trees, no problem; but ask about gun ownership --- with a PUBLIC poll, so everyone can see who answers --- I have concerns.
                        Maybe they need to know which houses to AVOID!!
                        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                        Sharing withother survivors...
                        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Be safe

DD
                          Not for me, I LOVE rotties.
                          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Just to be clear - I have no issue with guns, or the majority of gun owners. In my own experiences, I've found them to be responsible owners and users, quite aware of the dangers and willing to take the necessary steps to prevent any tragic circumstances.

I don't quite understand the concern. Is there a reason one might want to keep this information private?
                            808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                            kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                            http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron View Post
                              I don't quite understand the concern. Is there a reason one might want to keep this information private?
                              We've been watching too much CSI and hearing about the government's abuse of its powers, dass why. I've heard of some people (who don't believe in owning or carrying guns), getting NRA stickers and putting them in highly visible places around their homes to deter criminals.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                                We've been watching too much CSI and hearing about the government's abuse of its powers, dass why. I've heard of some people (who don't believe in owning or carrying guns), getting NRA stickers and putting them in highly visible places around their homes to deter criminals.

Miulang
                                My neighbor does that. He came over and we were chatting about guns and he said he did not want to have one in his home but he has NRA sticker on his truck and on his window.

He said he thinks it scares criminals.
                                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                                Sharing withother survivors...
                                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Working...
                                X