Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh Man, Let the Finger Pointing Commence.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oh Man, Let the Finger Pointing Commence.

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    honestly, I've gradually moved to using "Caucasian" more than "haole" because I'd be a hypocrite to continue using "haole." I kinda don't like being referred to as a "Flip," "monkey," "dog eater," and worse, when on the mainland, "n_ _ _ _r".
    Aw gee, Mikey...I just deleted that post.

I notice locals at work using "caucasian" more frequently too. And I noticed that it happened after the Waikele haole-beating incident. It was very obvious, to me at least.

I have to say that I saw it as a bit of an attempt at reconciliation. I know that the people who were now referring to us white folks as caucasian had very certainly referred to us as haole only a short time ago.

I think they were ashamed, frankly. They didn't want to be part of something ugly. What else could I think?

The word haole, to me, has now come to approximate the N-word. Larry Price, the Waikele incident....there ya go.

It's not cute, it's not a homely Island colloquialism. It's an insult, and clearly meant as one. I didn't think that way when I first moved here. I think that way now.

I don't use Flip, Bukbuk, Chink, Jap, Nigger....why should I tolerate the use of a term of equal vitriol applied to me?

Oh yeah...because I deserve it. That "kernel of truth" crap.

And on that happy note, on California time, I'm outta here.
    Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; May 30, 2007, 07:17 PM. Reason: Lika corrected me...>smile<

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
      Aw gee, Mikey...I just deleted that post.

I notice locals at work using "caucasian" more frequently too. And I noticed that it happened after the Waikele haole-beating incident. It was very obvious, to me at least.

I have to say that I saw it as a bit of an attempt at reconciliation. I know that the people who were now referring to us white folks as caucasian had very certainly referred to us as haole only a short time ago.

I think they were ashamed, frankly. They didn't want to be part of something ugly. What else could I think?

The word haole, to me, has now come to approximate the N-word. Frank Price, the Waikele incident....there ya go.

It's not cute, it's not a homely Island colloquialism. It's an insult, and clearly meant as one. I didn't think that way when I first moved here. I think that way now.

I don't use Flip, Bukbuk, Chink, Jap, Nigger....why should I tolerate the use of a term of equal vitriol applied to me?

Oh yeah...because I deserve it. That "kernel of truth" crap.

And on that happy note, on California time, I'm outta here.
      Wonderful insights, you!

I figured I may as well stop making another wrong to make a right, because my family will never receive reparations for mistreatment on the plantations.
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Frank Price, the Waikele incident....there ya go.
        [whisper]
        Larry Price.
        [/whisper]

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
          Wonderful insights, you!

I figured I may as well stop making another wrong to make a right, because my family will never receive reparations for mistreatment on the plantations.
          Okay, one more shot.

I am now preparing petitions to be presented to Her Majesty the Queen of England, applying for reparations due my family for the decimation of Ireland in the late eighteenth century. I would, at the very least, like to be reimbursed for the fees incurred by my grandmother when she was forced to leave Ireland for the shores of Americay (not a misspelling) at the age of 16 thanks to the cruelties imposed by the English. I'd like a huge cash award but would be happy with a token settlement of a sack of potatoes. It's the thought that counts.

I would also like a bit of remuneration for the many family members who "disappeared" in Eastern Europe during the years preceding WWII. Parties in the lawsuit TBA (the principle players keep changing the names of their countries).

Class action suits for the Trail of Tears participants. Papa Doc victims. Can you say Idi Amin? I thought you could.

"Arbeit Macht Frei." Survivors---call 1-800-L'CHAIM.

The possibilities are endless.
          Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; May 30, 2007, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I don't think twice about using the word haole. I use it freely, without any qualms.

I certainly refuse to let transplants dictate the definition of hawaiian words to me.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              [whisper]
              Larry Price.
              [/whisper]

LOL---do I have time to change it? Yeah...I think I do!

:::Where the heck did I get "Frank"??:::

Edit: done.
              Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; May 30, 2007, 07:18 PM. Reason: Self-explanatory

Comment

At present, the word "haole" doesn't bother me. I know the difference between "haole" and "haole," and I am NOT local, nor do I attempt to pass myself off as such.

But future circumstances may dictate a change, and I'm okay with some people being uncomfortable with the word.

Yes - that is a purposefully vague comment. G'night.

Comment

I am now preparing petitions to be presented to Her Majesty the Queen of England, applying for reparations due my family for the decimation of Ireland in the late eighteenth century. I would, at the very least, like to be reimbursed for the fees incurred by my grandmother when she was forced to leave Ireland for the shores of Americay (not a misspelling) at the age of 16 thanks to the cruelties imposed by the English. I'd like a huge cash award but would be happy with a token settlement of a sack of potatoes. It's the thought that counts.

I would also like a bit of remuneration for the many family members who "disappeared" in Eastern Europe during the years preceding WWII. Parties in the lawsuit TBA (the principle players keep changing the names of their countries).

Class action suits for the Trail of Tears participants. Papa Doc victims. Can you say Idi Amin? I thought you could.

"Arbeit Macht Frei." Survivors---call 1-800-L'CHAIM.

The possibilities are endless.
                  K-den. Wea do I stand in line foa mine....I'm a Lemurian descendant!

Yeeeehaaaaa!

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

[QUOTE=Keanu;148074]I don't think twice about using the word haole. I use it freely, without any qualms.

Deleted. Not worth the keystrokes.
                    Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; May 30, 2007, 07:56 PM. Reason: Again, self-explanatory

Comment

Forget it...Neba mind.

Carry on.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                        The question for this thread was "So......with that in mind....where do you think the rudiest people come from when visiting?"

And so it began.

Before it gets uglier.

STOP!!!

Life is too short to be wasted on fighting over an issue like this.

Love and ALOHA

Auntie Lynn
                        You're right, Lynn. I'm tired and getting nastier by the minute.

I'm headed for the edit button before it's too late.

Comment

You're right, Lynn. I'm tired and getting nastier by the minute.

I'm headed for the edit button before it's too late.
                          heheheh

You caught it before I took it off and I'm glad you did.

Good night RN!!

It's been a long day for me too.

Good night EVERYBODY!

I Love you ALL!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            At present, the word "haole" doesn't bother me. I know the difference between "haole" and "haole," and I am NOT local, nor do I attempt to pass myself off as such.

But future circumstances may dictate a change, and I'm okay with some people being uncomfortable with the word.

Yes - that is a purposefully vague comment. G'night.
                            :::Adjusting protective gauzy veil of vaguery about myself:::

G'night back atcha.

Comment

Fine. In that vein, let the use of N****r prevail.
                              I don't see the connection. I was born and raised in Hawai'i and "haole" was always used to describe caucasians. Thanks but I don't need to be educated on the proper definition of a word I have used since I was a child.

My father refers to my son as his "haole" grandson because he is fair like his New York raised mother. Should I be upset at my father just because there are those like you who have a problem with the word? If you have a problem with the word, that's your problem, not mine.

Why should the silly sensitivities of those being insulted be considered?
                              Why should locals bend to the whims of transplants who lack the ability to conform? When I am a guess in someone's home, I don't dictate their house rules to them.

Pfft. Wimpasses should just toughen up already.

Oh...did I forget to mention slopeheads and gooks?

I don't use those words, either.
                              I'm not concerned about your choice of the usage of words.
                              Last edited by Keanu; May 30, 2007, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                                I don't see the connection. I was born and raised in Hawai'i and "haole" was always used to describe caucasians. I find it extremely insulting that you, a transplant, feels so bold as to try and educate me on the proper definition of a word I have used since I was a child.

My father refers to my son as his "haole" grandson because he is fair like his New York raised mother. Should I be upset at my father just because there are those like you who gets their knickers in a bunch over the usage of the word? If you have a problem with the word, that's your problem, not mine.

Why should locals bend to the whims of transplants who lack the ability to conform? When I am a guess in someone's home, I don't dictate their house rules to them.

I'm not concerned about your choice of the usage of words.
                                Oh my. Substitute the mentality of the Old South, the vernacular used there, and it is a perfect analogy.

"It's what we've always called them." (Said with precious affection.)

Oh well....after all, it's only a word.

I'm not all that concerned with your choice of word usage, either. Just observations. No demand to "bend to the whims."

Do what you want. Continue as you have always done. Whatever.

Just don't try to convince anyone with half a brain that it is nothing but an affectionate non-pejorative term.

That, Keanu, is truly insulting.

Comment

Working...
                                X