Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: tips to sell stuff at swamp meet

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
    I bought the skateboard with the profits from the corn...complete with helmet, it was two Euros (about $2.50).

The 'funniest' part about the skateboard was that it wasn't until I was paying for it that I knew who was selling it...it was a kid that had, with a group of others, vandalized and burned down my house. I told him that he ought to GIVE me the thing as part-payment.
    And I thought I had some wonderful chance meeting, talk story sessions at the swap meet!
    ___
    "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
      How much for the skateboard?
      lol

And, if I buy ALL that corn, can I have it in that fashionable leopard-print bag under the table? Or is Susie going to put it in one of those cheap white plastic bags?
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
        I bought the skateboard with the profits from the corn...complete with helmet, it was two Euros (about $2.50).

The 'funniest' part about the skateboard was that it wasn't until I was paying for it that I knew who was selling it...it was a kid that had, with a group of others, vandalized and burned down my house. I told him that he ought to GIVE me the thing as part-payment.
        Wait.....he vandalized your house and burned it down and is still out running around?

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
          Wait.....he vandalized your house and burned it down and is still out running around?
          I was thinking the same thing. Guess that's how they do things in France...

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            lol

And, if I buy ALL that corn, can I have it in that fashionable leopard-print bag under the table? Or is Susie going to put it in one of those cheap white plastic bags?
            Nice bag, huh? They're the ones you can buy at the supermarket checkout to carry your groceries. The cost about a dollar each...these are a special World Wildlife Fund edition....comes in leopard, tiger, zebra, and giraffe. You like I send you some?
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I just came back from "touring" the Aloha Stadium Swap meet, and the Kam Swap Meet. First off, the admission for buyers at the Stadium Swap Meet is $1, and there's a lot of tshirt vendors there - mostly screen shirts, and I only saw one embroidered shirt vendor there. Based on what I saw, I think we need a few things before we even step foot into there. Oh, and when I arrived there around 0730, probably 25% of the sellers were still setting up, while there was a good number of people walking around.

At the Kam Swap Meet, it was 50¢ for admission, but they cut the seller's places by half to increase the parking - which was packed (I noticed my Dad's truck near the entrance, so I guess I should have woke up a bit earlier). This is where the locals go - especially the filipinos. Of course, there's the usual mini garage sales, pirated media, and unlocked phones. As for shirts, there isn't that much compared to Aloha Stadium, so that's probably where we'll start first.
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Amazing as it sounds, try setting up around 10am after all the thieves have run off with their finds to sell at their booths or professional garage sales.

I've found out that selling at the break of dawn is risky business. Darkness will mask the seller from seeing sticky fingers especially when these people work in teams. One distracts you while the other picks the goods from you. In some cases they will mob your booth overwhelming you. Even if you see the person pocketing your stuff, you cannot get to them because someone else is holding that digital camera you're trying to sell and taking your attention off of the camera to get the thief taking your straw hat.

By 10am most of these teams are gone or leaving, and quite honestly that's when most honest people are starting their venture at the swap meet.

That said keep a change box with plenty of dollar bills and lots of loose change. Sometimes a fanny pack secured to your waist is a great way to hang onto your money. And always have at least two people present at all times in your booth.

For security purposes I'd take a disposable camera or even use a camcorder to record any conflicting issues that will arise.

Sell stuff dirt cheap! If you're there to make money your prices will reflect that high cost and nobody will buy from you. If you're there get rid of stuff and make a small profit in the process, sell it cheap enough where even the casual onlooker will be interested.

If they're not interested make an offer. "I'm sorry I really don't need that". Respond with, "I know you don't need it but let's say you could have it for a rediculous price...remember by 2pm I don't want to carry this stuff back home" And then I tell them, "give me a price...any price" Remember you're selling stuff to get rid of junk out of your house. Any price is better than taking "Junk" back home.

For teasers if they want it for a dollar I tell them I'll give it to them for 50-cents. That reels them in to wanting to buy more junk. Pretty soon by lunch time you're ready to pack up and go home.

When I sell stuff I price it to move not make a huge chunk of change. My time in the sun is limited to how fast I can get rid of things. The faster I can move it, the better it is for me. And remember this is junk that you'd normally get rid of anyway so sell it rediculously low where people can appreciate the bargain even if it's nothing they really need or want for that matter.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  [...]And remember this is junk that you'd normally get rid of anyway so sell it rediculously low where people can appreciate the bargain even if it's nothing they really need or want for that matter.
                  Maybe I misunderstood Adrian's original post but I got the impression that the swa(m)p meet is a sales outlet for his mom's "embroidered stuff" and not a place to dispose of junk. From other posts made by Adrian in the past his mom embroiders shirts as a home based business. Adrian, please correct me if I'm wrong. Craig, would your advice change knowing that the items are new clothing? BTW, a later start time makes sense to me!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Amazing as it sounds, try setting up around 10am after all the thieves have run off with their finds to sell at their booths or professional garage sales.
                    Not a bad idea.

Me and a friend was talking about it, and he told me about his experiences about selling at the Aloha Stadium swap meet. He mentioned about those stuff (that I apparently snipped), and that's why if I sell at the Swap Meet, I'll get at least two other people.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Maybe I misunderstood Adrian's original post but I got the impression that the swa(m)p meet is a sales outlet for his mom's "embroidered stuff" and not a place to dispose of junk. From other posts made by Adrian in the past his mom embroiders shirts as a home based business. Adrian, please correct me if I'm wrong. Craig, would your advice change knowing that the items are new clothing? BTW, a later start time makes sense to me!
                    Yes, you're right.

We're also thinking about selling at other events (I know, we just missed the local craft fair), but we're so boggled down with current projects, I don't think we can make the surplus to sell.

Oh, and can someone confirm something said by my friend: those 5 shirts for $20 are priced that low because those shirts either have small mistakes or they'll eventually fade in a few months.
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
                      [...]Oh, and can someone confirm something said by my friend: those 5 shirts for $20 are priced that low because those shirts either have small mistakes or they'll eventually fade in a few months.
                      In some cases (not all!), the t-shirts are made of thin, inferior material. They get all kapakahi after the first washing!

Comment

Oops sorry! In that case I'd stick to a decent price but still set up later in the morning. The clientele changes dramatically after 9am from early birds to real Swap meet shoppers looking for items that can't be found in stores. Craft fairs are another excellent way of selling items like that.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I have a whole bunch of videos and other stuff that I need to sell- ebay (after fees) got me like 10-26 cents profit on each ....sooo......does anyone know what are the vendor fees for like a one time/one day only deal at either the Kam swap meet or Aloha stadium swap meet.

Thanks in advance.

oh, does anyone know if videos are a good seller at swap meets?
                          you know with dvd's and all......

Comment

Originally posted by Senora View Post
                            I have a whole bunch of videos and other stuff that I need to sell- ebay (after fees) got me like 10-26 cents profit on each ....sooo......does anyone know what are the vendor fees for like a one time/one day only deal at either the Kam swap meet or Aloha stadium swap meet.

Thanks in advance.

oh, does anyone know if videos are a good seller at swap meets?
                            you know with dvd's and all......
                            Senora:
                            You migh want to try FreecycleHonolulu or oahu_yard_sale, both groups on Yahoo! To unload things, or Craig's List. I find actually having a garage sale to be less than a stellar experience. I've had luck with each of the three I've mentioned above.
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Send the videos to me.
                              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Senora View Post
                                I have a whole bunch of videos and other stuff that I need to sell- ebay (after fees) got me like 10-26 cents profit on each
                                Why so low? Was the winning bids that low? eBay doesn't take that much. And if you're not adding shipping to the bid, then you did yourself in.

Yes, the swap meets have a fixed price for the sellers. ($5? anyone know?)

But you might want to shop there once or twice to see what the stuff goes for.

You might also see what a place like Jelly's will buy them for.

Comment

Working...
                                X