Roadside Fundraising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roadside Fundraising

Extortion through application of guilt mind control.

I'm a bit more discerning, but my 15-yr.-old is a sucker for this. I guess it's how we brought him up.... He wants to contribute to everything and everyone: every allegedly 'homeless' willing to 'work for food,' every grocery store door solicitor and, of course, the streetside 'net-flingers.'

Next time I think I'll tell him, "Sure, take it out of your allowance," and let the realities of supply and demand take root.

A friend once told me that he saw a 'folded cardboard "will work for food" sign' solicitor packing it in for the day, followed him a a discreet distance and saw him get into a nicer car than either of us owned. True or not it helped me realize that we just don't know a thing about the genuine needs of these people, and that certainly most people would rather donate cash than take them up on their offer.

I like to give, and I like to be generous when I can, but the times they are a changing....
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

A lot of folks want to contribute but can't always afford the tickets for fundraisers/benefits. However, they & myself can afford to put a few $$$ into the net. That's what I have to do, and buy my girl scout cookies in front of the grocery store, candy at the office, and laulau from my civic club, etc.

I think we could all just relax a bit about the fundraisers with their nets out. If you know a big fundraiser is going on, like this weekend's food bank drive - just avoid those intersections/locations. It's only once a year. and lets face it - how can we begrudge a place that helps feed SO many folks from using whatever legal means they can to get donations?
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
        A lot of folks want to contribute but can't always afford the tickets for fundraisers/benefits. However, they & myself can afford to put a few $$$ into the net. That's what I have to do, and buy my girl scout cookies in front of the grocery store, candy at the office, and laulau from my civic club, etc.

I think we could all just relax a bit about the fundraisers with their nets out. If you know a big fundraiser is going on, like this weekend's food bank drive - just avoid those intersections/locations. It's only once a year. and lets face it - how can we begrudge a place that helps feed SO many folks from using whatever legal means they can to get donations?
        I prefer to put a few $$$ into the envelopes they mail out or into the jars at counters or at the various food drives they hold throughout the year at many public places. Trying to avoid eye contact with the net people because I don't want them to come to my car means I'm not paying full attention to the road anymore. I don't mind people trying to get money for charities--I simply think there are less potentially dangerous ways to accomplish that goal.

Comment

Since I don't drive, I guess I may look at these things a little differently - I don't have to put up with the same driving distractions as most folks. But, I certainly do understand the problems with these methods of fund raising.

As a frequent political sign waver though - I'm always careful where I place that sign. It can be dangerous if the person with the sign (or the net) is not responsible. I mean, god forbid the driver has to watch out for sign waver/fund raisers while they're talking on their cell phones

I guess we all just need to take responsibility for how we try to get folks attention, and also how we are driving. It takes concentration on both sides.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
            There's an automatic guilt factor I have to fight every time I see those nets--I choose to donate many times a year thru various fundraising events I attend, so I don't like being made to feel like a miser when I see others donate from their cars. It's definitely a mind game that I don't appreciate. And I suspect it's probably even more annoying/frustrating/guilt-inducing for those having to drive thru, knowing that the punishing economic times are not allowing them to donate they way they might have in the past.
            I hate being ambushed, especially if I haven't had a chance to look into the charity. Donating anonymously, whether cans at a collection center or financially through a website, lets you feel good about saying "Thanks, I already gave this year and won't have any more until next year!"
            Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
            Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
            We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
            Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

A situation/location that has irked me lately:

On the intersection of School & Makuahine streets (right in front of Kapalama Elem. School), fundraisers have started using that area. A couple of weeks ago, it was a youth athletic team soliciting for donations. Then last week, it was another group selling boxes of Krispy Kreme doughnuts. That latter group didn't even bother with printing out a sign identifying who they were, so for all anyone knows, they could have been selling them for a profit. Hmmm.

The groups know that this particular intersection does get busy at rush hour and at such times, the cars coming down from Makuahine make slow progress, whether they turn left or right onto School St. What pisses me off is that there are only one lane each going in either direction. So when these groups are able to get a driver to donate, they sometimes miss a green light cycle and as a result, inconsiderately hold back all the cars that are behind them. Even if those "good Samaritans" are able to donate and get through the intersection before the light turns red, it still holds back some cars that could have gotten through had there been no delay in the first place.

I know times are hard and everything. But this is the kind of intersection that roadside fundraisers should not take advantage of. Next time I see anyone doing this, I will make a complaint to HPD.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
              X