This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pet Peeve of the Day - Chapter 2

don't forget that you heard it from "a close personal friend" of hers, leo! *insert stick tongue emoticon here; blackberry version of HT does not have it available for me*
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
      *insert stick tongue emoticon here; blackberry version of HT does not have it available for me*
      Hmmm...how should I interpret that?

Comment

if you need to ask, dear sir, then you obviously need to educate youself on the proper use of emoticons. nevermind that my own application of them may or may not align with the generally accepted use.
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

if you need to ask, dear sir, then you obviously need to educate youself on the proper use of emoticons. nevermind that my own application of them may or may not align with the generally accepted use.
          Of which generation?

(P.S. - to everyone else - this is a private joke that Cyn & I are in on; apologies for hijacking - unless your peeve is not being "in" on a joke, in which case, I'm happy to put you back on track. Carry on.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            Of which generation?
            oh, i don't know if i can be as general as a generation. but it's definitely more than fifty.

okay, back on topic...

my pet peeve today is this situation: someone approaches you for advice bcs they know they're about to get in over their head if they go the wrong way. you advise them to take a path which is protective versus...oh, something that might open them up to getting hurt (and i'm not talking about merely emotionally--i'm talking about harm that potentially will last for years)...but yet - god help them! - they choose to do otherwise.

gives me a headache.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              *insert stick tongue emoticon here; blackberry version of HT does not have it available for me*
              Hmmm...how should I interpret that?
              Oh shush, Leo.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

my pet peeve today is this situation: someone approaches you for advice bcs they know they're about to get in over their head if they go the wrong way. you advise them to take a path which is protective versus...oh, something that might open them up to getting hurt (and i'm not talking about merely emotionally--i'm talking about harm that potentially will last for years)...but yet - god help them! - they choose to do otherwise.

gives me a headache.
                Ha Ha Ha....... I thought that was the definition of parenthood.......

Comment

People who get upset by how others respond to them on a message board (this is NOT about anyone on HT), then leave in a huffy snit with a big "well, fine - this is the LAST you'll hear from ME" attitude.

But they come back later, when they have a personal activity they want to promote.

And they repeat this action, again and again.

That behavior shouldn't be tolerated from anyone over the age of twelve.

Comment

• C'mon, which is it, yes or no?!

In the last few years, even from 'professionals', but very often in general public use, you now hear "yeah no" or "no yeah", mostly the former, suddenly being injected into their conversations.
                    This is much like the similarly unconscious "uh" or "like" which so often contaminates speech.
                    But the 'yeah no' thing particularly drives me nuts.
                    I heard an interview with Ben Stiller this morning and in a few minutes he used it at least 3 times!

Which is it people?!
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I don't think this is a 'pet peeve', since it only happened once, but yesterday my sweet bf and I went for a hike down Maunawili Demonstration trail. The hiking guidebook led us to believe it was an easy hike and relatively short, so we planned it for in the afternoon when it was cool. Left one car in Waimanalo, then set off from the scenic point by Pali lookout.

Hike, hike, hike through the gorgeous mountainside we went. After 2 hours, we were sure we had to be getting close to the end. Nope, we just seemed to be getting higher up, deeper into the mountains, and farther from Waimanalo. Huh? Every corner we hiked aroud, well I was SURE that the car was just around the next bend. About 20 next bends later, it got dark. Then we hit the 5 mile marker, which according to the book was a mile too far. Huh?

Long story short, we calmly hiked out of the woods at 11pm!!! I'm glad we had a flashlight, and Sven has the night vision of a cat, as I'm the sort of person who usually heads home once the streetlights come on. Thankfully Hawaii has no lions, tigers, or bears, or any big scary mammals that like to eat people. But it was still a little bit freaky, especially the cliffs and ridges in the dark.

So, there's my peeve for yesterday - misleading guidebooks, especially when the wrong info could potentially have been dangerous.

2nd peeve - the dark. I hate not being able to see!
                      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I'm glad you two made it out OK. I know one woman who was in a similar situation, except when she held on to her boyfriend's arm, out of fear, he got angry with her and made her walk alone.

Needless to say, they're no longer together.

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                        I'm glad we had a flashlight
                        Atta girl!

*smile proudly at TG and Sven*

With today's LED technology, you can carry a useful, compact flashlight with you at all times. They make ones which work off of a single AA or AAA battery. You can easily carry them in your pocket, on a key chain, or in your purse.

Not too many people will be stuck on a hiking trail at night, but we've all found ourselves in a building during a power outage. If we're walking in an unlit area, my girls always feel better when I pull out the pocket floodlight.

/flashlight fetish off
                        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                        "
                        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

ah, shucks! i'm a little peeved that the bulbo (spelling) birds ate my lemon cucumber flowers. bummers as the plant was loaded with them. i was so happy to see a honeybee pollinating them only to have those birds feast on them. a neighbor said that these same birds ate up his budding orchids.
                          "chaos reigns within.
                          reflect, repent and reboot.
                          order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Incompetent lending institutions!

Back story...2 years ago I was able to pay off what little was still owed on my Makaha mortgage. I received a payoff letter from the lender.

Last year I finally did my estate planning and had the estate attorney do the paperwork that put the condo into the name of my trust. Eventually I received a rejection letter from land court due to a discrepancy. Atty. suggested a title search (cost, $300) to find out what was going on, if anything. It seems the property was still encumbered by a mortgage. And not by the the lender who gave me the payoff letter. Rather, from the very first lender of a refi done in 1995. The mortgage was sold many times after that (last count, 5). Not one of those 5 lenders picked up on the mistake of the first lender.

I've now had to hire a real estate attorney to right this messy wrong...messy because the first lender has gone out of business. Wonder why!!! RE atty's guestimate, based on other similar problems that he's handled, is that it will take close to a year to finalize with a legal cost of up to $5,000. All because of some idiot, lender employee's mistake.

While I could easily let the mistake slide and let my heirs deal with it the issue of wanting or needing to sell the property before then comes into play. I've always said I have no desire to sell but one never knows what tomorrow will bring. If I do choose or need to sell down the road no buyer will want to wait up to a year for the property to become unencumbered. So...best to take care of the issue now. Good grief, I can think of so many other ways I'd rather spend that kind of money. In today's economy, I really prefer to save it.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              it will take close to a year to finalize with a legal cost of up to $5,000. All because of some idiot, lender employee's mistake.
                              *whistle*

What a pain in the butt

I bet you rather be learning more about iMovie, than learning about banking and real estate law
                              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                              "
                              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                                [...]
                                I bet you rather be learning more about iMovie, than learning about banking and real estate law
                                You can say that again! The Apple Store is a lot more fun than an attorney's office!

Comment

Working...
                                X