Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The pain... it hurts!

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    My former s-i-l had a kidney stone when she was in her early 20s. She was writhing in pain for an hour before she woke us up. We got her right to the hospital. The pain didn't let up 'til the stone passed but she was given heavy pain meds in the ER. Poor thing.

Sue, "writhing" is right! I've had 5 kidney stone attacks since my early 30's (I'm now in my early 50's). My body produces too much uric acid (same condition that causes gout, which I don't have, thankfully), rather than the calcium-type stones. Two years ago, the attack was so severe, the doc knocked me out and performed a lithotripsy procedure in which they bombard the stones with shock waves to break-up the stones. Now, I take one pill a day to prevent future stones, since my body will automatically produce them if I don't take the meds. Both of my brothers have the same condition. Bummer!

My advice to Adrian is this: If, indeed, you have kidney stones, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. When you think you've had all the water you can handle, drink some more. If they're calcium-type stones, you may need to modify your diet to exclude dairy products and/or other foods rich in calcium. I've become quite the expert on this because I had to.

Poor thing. I know that pain, and it's a pain you never forget.

Comment

Working...
    X