Who was the best Mayor & Govenor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was the best Mayor & Govenor?

(btw I wasn't to sure if this topic was brought up yet but this question is inspired by a thread over in the TV section)

Okay Gang WHO was thee Best Mayor & Governor that served in office on Oahu?

Well I may catch flack for my choices but gotta say Ariyoshi for sure, I am kinda iffy on Mayor where Fasi does come to mind

Re: Who was the best Mayor & Govenor?

I'm going with Ariyoshi and Fasi... I'm too young to remember John Burns.

Comment

I vote for Quimby.

Comment

I would have to choose John Burns (voted for him in 1964) and Fasi. I thank him every time I get on a bus!
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Since statehood?

Best Governor: Burns.

Best Mayor of Honolulu: I'll pick Fasi, even though he was a crook and in his later years, had become a crazy old man. At least he didn't leave the city in an absolute mess, like Harris did.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I guess I'm not old enough to have really developed an affection for any governor. The ones I remember well I wasn't fond of. Lingle, I guess, would be my default pick, simply for novelty.

Mayor? Fasi all the way.

Comment

this is pretty sad, i just realized.

i'm of the same generation-ish as ryan, and like him, don't have a fondness for any of the governors of my lifetime. my mom would scold me for not saying "cayetano" and thereby supporting my kind, but then again, i was the kind of person who didn't make any effort to vote for jasmine on AI.

as for the mayors, it would be a list of who's the least bad/objectionable. i'd consider fasi (thebus is cool, even if i haven't ridden it much lately), but i am too young to remember much about him while he was in office. my memories-o-fasi are pretty much limited to his standing on the ewa-makai corner of bishop and king with a facial expression i'd seen only one other person--tiny tadani--make ("please come up to me and remind me how famous i am and assure me that i still matter!"). well, that and his geezey pronouncements on tv in his more recent runs for office.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Too young to go with the past, although if my NANNY and PAPA were still alive today they'd disagree, but in my current voting years I'd have to go with the current administration.

I hesitated, I thought of FASI, however I have to consider those after his terms, consistency(?) in maintaining his programs.

As far as a Governor, sheesh I kept going way back, and way back until I realized I was referring to my history books in school!
                ___
                "Be god to each other."

Comment

Back in the late '60's, I campaigned for then, Governor Burns, and also, for Frank Fasi.

Ihave had the honor and the privilege to have known Governor Burns, and his wife Beatrice. Many a times, I have been a guest at Washington Place, for state dinners.

When I was student ombudsman for Waipahu High School, I was invited to speak to the legislature on the ombudsman program; Governor Burns invited me to have lunch with him at
                  Washington Place, with a few of the legislators, and his staff members. He complimented me on
                  how such a program (student ombudsman) has provided the schools, to address some issues
                  concerning student life. Because he knew , that most student councils, only planned activities, and never got involved in the problems each school was facing. I was appointed to several student conference boards, and several business committees for economic development for the state. Again, I was honored and privileged to have experienced such a program.

Frank Fasi, well, that's another story in itself. Frank's wife, Joyce, and all is his children. Boy,
                  talk about a community. He had a community. Fasi, to me, was a good mayor. He not only dealt
                  with transportation issues, but housing issues that was crucial at that time. I believe he went
                  head to head with legislature on insuring that no royal lands, or any other lands, should be
                  sold to foreign investors. Among other head to head combats with the legislature, he made
                  sure that the transportation problem was not only a city of Honolulu's problem. He felt that the
                  state should be able to assist all the islands in having comprehensive transportation needs met.

As far as after Governor Burns died in 1975. I never returned to state government. Ariyoshi was
                  just another bureaucrat who just wanted to be governor.

As far as Lingle is concerned. Eh, she doing okay for a Republican, in a majority of Democrats.

Comment

Gov
                    Ariyoshi
                    Cayetano
                    Lingle
                    Squidwatah
                    (Don't know a lot about Burns so I left him out.)

Mayor
                    Fasi
                    Hannemann
                    Harris
                    Anderson

I liked Cayetano almost as much as Ariyoshi. Don't have a whole lot of good to say about the rest so better to say nothing at all. Fasi was the best hands down, everyone else had (has) a lot of ground to make up.

Comment

about dem gubanahs

Ariyoshi was Gov from birth-18. I cannot remember a single thing that he did in service to these islands, although I am not disputing that he did indeed leave a legacy.

Waihe'e was the first dude I was old enough to vote for. I remember that he pissed off the feds by lowering the flag on 1/18/93 (Onipa'a Day) and that he extended the DHHL leases from 99 yrs to 1999 yrs so that "Hawaiians will never have to be kicked off their land".

Cayetano--voted for him twice. Both times because I deeply appreciated him starting up the A+ program while Lt Gov under Waihe'e. I know that HSTA folks were *pissed* at him and that he married a lovely and independent business woman. Still, his decision with the A+ program directly affected my life and I was grateful, no matter what others said about him.

Lingle--love her. Articulate, smart, and kicked Maize's ass in their debate a few yrs back. I think she is doing a fine job as Gov.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
                        Mayor
                        Fasi
                        Hannemann
                        Harris
                        Anderson

I liked Cayetano almost as much as Ariyoshi. Don't have a whole lot of good to say about the rest so better to say nothing at all. Fasi was the best hands down, everyone else had (has) a lot of ground to make up.
                        Anderson? When was he mayor?

For me best Governor hands down was Burns and Honolulu Mayor..Fasi...no doubt.

Cayatano's two greatest feats to me was A+ and marrying Vicky.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: Who was the best Mayor & Governor?

I've met Ariyoshi in person after he was no longer Governor. He was a lot more understandable in person then when he was when he was in front of the TV cameras. It used to drive my mom batty that the Governor of Hawaii was such a mumble-mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                            I've met Ariyoshi in person after he was no longer Governor. He was a lot more understandable in person then when he was when he was in front of the TV cameras. It used to drive my mom batty that the Governor of Hawaii was such a mumble-mouth.
                            Quiet but effective was his campaign slogan. His son Tod(d) was one kolohe dude though
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              Quiet but effective was his campaign slogan.
                              Oh yes. And I'm sure you remember what his detractors changed it to.

Comment

Working...
                              X