This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WWJD? SMU Courts June Jones

The resignation story that aired on KITV isn't on their website yet, but KHON has it at this link.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Moments ago, the lead story on KITV's 5pm news is that several friends and family of June Jones claim they received an e-mail from him today saying that he has resigned from UH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      (Herman Frazier denies it.)
      That's because Herman Failure is not opening JJ's envelope on his desk. Kinda like what I do when I receive an envelope from a collection agency.

Sighs. Now I remember why I'm not a betting man.

The story also broke on KGMB9.

If JJ goes, Herman gotta go.

If by some great miracle (like being visited by three Hawaiian ghosts) JJ stays, Herman still gotta go.

That leaves the UH Chancellor Virginia Hinshaw.
      Last edited by Random; January 5, 2008, 04:22 PM.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

The resignation story that aired on KITV isn't on their website yet, but KHON has it at this link.
        Sooo... Shall I expect a smirk or chuckle from Joe Moore come Monday on 5:30 or 6pm?

Comment

I just read this story at The Honolulu Advertiser.

June Jones has resigned as University of Hawaii head football coach according to his close friend, Al Souza. Jones resigned this morning, citing among other things a lack of loyalty and commitent from athletic department leaders.
          * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
          - Anna Quindlen

Comment

I hope Hawaii can convince Bill Callahan to coach here.
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
              I hope Hawaii can convince Bill Callahan to coach here.
              Wow. You're quicker than Herman Frazier.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                Sooo... Shall I expect a smirk or chuckle from Joe Moore come Monday on 5:30 or 6pm?
                Beats me. I haven't watched Joe Moore for years. What has he had to say about all this?
                Back to the resignation letter. Most sources refer to it as a "draft", but the Advertiser story implies that the resignation is a done deal. Maybe Herman Frazier intentionally hasn't opened his e-mail?
                The letter supposedly lists 19 reasons for the resignation, and not one them is about the money. Jones also names 5 people he recommends to replace himself.

Comment

I just thought that it's funny...JJ passes what, 90% of the time? And the last running he does is from Tim Tebow.

flickr

Comment

From the Advertiser:
                    Souza said Jones broke down in tears as he mulled his decision last night. "He cried like a baby," Souza said. "He doesn't want to leave."
                    But Souza said each item on a long list of Jones' requests for his staff and program was rejected, leading to Jones' emotional decision.
                    "This breaks his heart," Souza said.
                    I can't imagine that the items on this list were so outrageous that not a single one was accepted. Why does UH hang on to Herman Frazier??
                    * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                    - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Does anyone else remember that Hugh Yoshida had the same problems with the facilities when he was AD before Frazier?
                      Remember Colt having the cojones to complain to the media that there wasn't soap in the showers. And remember how ESPN blasted our facilities just a few weeks ago when they were here for the Washington game.
                      The problem goes higher than Frazier, clear to the top -- the Board Of Regents. They are the ones with the final say. Most of the rest of UH is also in need of major improvements, not just the athletic facilities.
                      And imagine what this does for recruiting. All those verbal commitments? How many will bail out with Jones leaving?

Comment

Does anyone else remember that Hugh Yoshida had the same problems with the facilities when he was AD before Frazier?
                        Remember Colt having the cojones to complain to the media that there wasn't soap in the showers. And remember how ESPN blasted our facilities just a few weeks ago when they were here for the Washington game.
                        The problem goes higher than Frazier, clear to the top -- the Board Of Regents. They are the ones with the final say. Most of the rest of UH is also in need of major improvements, not just the athletic facilities.
                        And imagine what this does for recruiting. All those verbal commitments? How many will bail out with Jones leaving?
                        BOR is more concerned with academics than athletics.

flickr

Comment

BOR is more concerned with academics than athletics.
                          And of course that's exactly as it should be.
                          The problem is that when June Jones was hired, the BOR promised that a long list of things would be done, and not a single one has been done yet. That is, apparently, the specific reason (19 of 'em!) that Jones resigned.

Comment

And of course that's exactly as it should be.
                            The problem is that when June Jones was hired, the BOR promised that a long list of things would be done, and not a single one has been done yet. That is, apparently, the specific reason (19 of 'em!) that Jones resigned.
                            and BOR promised several other improvements on campus before JJ came, most of which have not yet begun. If JJ can't wait for these things to happen, then tough...he's not the only UH employee with needs. the UH system is hard up on cash.

But since the school did have a little BCS pay day due to JJ's work, who knows, the school could've started on fulfilling some of the promises that they made to him.

flickr

Comment

Perhaps there is more to the story than what is spelled out in the letter. Whatever. One thing that he had (note: past tense) at UH was job security. He probably could have coached here as long as he wanted. As long as he didn't have, like, 3-4 mediocre seasons in a row. At other places, you're already dangerously skating on thin ice if you fail to make a BCS bowl appearance a couple of years.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

BOR promised several other improvements on campus before JJ came, most of which have not yet begun. If JJ can't wait for these things to happen, then tough...he's not the only UH employee with needs. the UH system is hard up on cash.
                                Oh, I agree completely. Thought I made that clear earlier. However, the deplorable state of the UH system, and the reasons for it, are a discussion for another thread in a different section of HT, methinks.
                                As for June not waiting for things to happen, well, it has been 9 years already, so why would he or anyone think anything would ever change? Especially since June is well aware -- and agrees -- that academic needs come first.

Comment

Working...
                                X