X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WWJD? SMU Courts June Jones

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    I hate to be blunt, but that kind of thinking and rationalization is why we will never be in a BCS conference. Hawaii fans are good at coming up with excuses NOT to attend the games when the team is struggling.

Now, for saying that, I know I'm gonna get blasted by some folks who call themselves "UH fans." And you what the irony is gonna be? Some of them will be "fans" who watched most (if not all) of the UH games on TV. And they'll be taking shots at me, a season ticket holder of UH football and baseball games for the past 15 years.
    Again, it's because the school has no tradition. It's. Not. Money.

The school's spirit blows, and that's coming from an alumni that went to every home women's volleyball, men's basketball, and football games for 7 years. The only regular attendees are senior citizens, who seems to make up about 80% of people in the arenas, but those people have headphones on all the time.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      Callahan over Chow? I don't think so. You know Norm is coming home someday, whether after his time as a coach is up, or to close out his career. He might as well come home now.
      I foresee him retiring to spend time with family before he'd coach UH.

But we shall see if Tennessee loses against Daygo.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
        That's one elaborate hoax.
        Tim Chapman did it, to divert attention away from his own story.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
          The only regular attendees are senior citizens, who seems to make up about 80% of people in the arenas, but those people have headphones on all the time.
          Those weren't headphones, they were hearing aids.

Okay, I must be getting tired if I'm getting silly. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Those weren't headphones, they were hearing aids.

Okay, I must be getting tired if I'm getting silly. Sorry.
            hahaha...those are some strong hearing aids, 'cause they picked up bobby curran from wherever he's broadcasting from.

flickr

Comment

Something wrong about listening to 1420 AM while watching the game there?
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

hahaha...those are some strong hearing aids, 'cause they picked up bobby curran from wherever he's broadcasting from.
                He's broadcasting from the floor right in front of them.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Something wrong about listening to 1420 AM while watching the game there?
                  there are passive fans and active fans. most of hawaii's fans are passive. all too often I see people calling themselves a "fan" just because they attend games and wear a school t-shirt.

hawaii had bonfires and pep rallies the night before big games in the past, but from what I saw, they were attended by dorming (especially from the mainland) students and students living near campus. hardly any alumni or so-called "fans". I understand if old age makes it hard for fans to attend and or participate, but damn.

flickr

Comment

AHA! Liz Chun, on the KGMB 10pm News just now, said that she talked to June tonight and he confirmed that he wrote the letter, that he was surprised it had gone public, and that he hadn't sent it to Frazier... yet.

Comment

hawaii had bonfires and pep rallies the night before big games in the past,
                      They still have that on campus? I thought you need a student ID these days.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        AHA! Liz Chun, on the KGMB 10pm News just now, said that she talked to June tonight and he confirmed that he wrote the letter, that he was surprised it had gone public, and that he hadn't sent it to Frazier... yet.
                        "Surprise it had gone public"? One of his friends blabbed? Or perhaps his agent?

Comment

They still have that on campus? I thought you need a student ID these days.
                          the last one I went to (2005) was open to everyone. joint was quiet.

flickr

Comment

there are passive fans and active fans. most of hawaii's fans are passive. all too often I see people calling themselves a "fan" just because they attend games and wear a school t-shirt.
                            Better passive fans who loyally "attends" games and supports the athletic dept. through their purchase of tickets and merchandise than loud-mouthed fair-weather fans who only comes to the games when the team is winning. JMNSHO.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

getting personal for a minute:

I am a pop warner football mom; the Boy has played tackle fb for three years. Our club has 100ish athletes and about a solid half of them are free/reduced lunch kids. Even so, we managed to raise the funds and get to HNL every year for the last three years to watch a game at the Aloha Stadium. It meant *everything* to those boys (and their daddies, mammas, and guardians). When you are talking these many people scraping it and planning for it, and bracing for the logistical nightmare that is Puppy Warner management, all for the sake of seeing the glory of college football in action and the stoking of those dreams that this young man could one day get there, it is a feeling unlike any other.

There are several in our club committed to doing the PPV thing and following our Warriors, if only to invite over the kids and their teammates and soak it all in.

And when that book came out this past year, how many of these boys could relate to the stories of those PagoPago boys brushing their teeth with soap and dreaming of getting off their rock and playing fb.

Maybe we don't put out press releases when neighbor island families do what they have to in order to get to a UH football game, but our experiences are nevertheless real.

Coach Jones, you are going to miss us. Yes, the System™ sucks in a myriad of ways. But will you find the same diamonds in the rough, the same athletes who trust in you so intently like your Poly-dominated team in Hawaii does? Mahalo nui for these last nine years.

If I had my way, he would go to the BOR and ask for the AD job.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                                Better passive fans who loyally "attends" games and supports the athletic dept. through their purchase of tickets and merchandise than loud-mouthed fair-weather fans who only comes to the games when the team is winning. JMNSHO.
                                I'm sayin tho...the loud active fans are few and far between. We need to breed them.

flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X