Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And so the 2008 Beijing Olympic begins

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    Wow, Jenn Stuczynski's coach is a butthead. Dude just chewed her out for winning a silver medal in the pole vault (gold medal winner set WR in women's pole vault).
    Now, now. You don't want to offend all the buttheads.

But I agree, what an Olympic-sized jerkitude.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
      When I watch the gymnastics, I wonder about the spotters. Especially for the women in the high bars. What, exactly, would they do if one of the women fell off? It seems that the spotters would only possibly get bonked on the way down and not prevent the gymnast from falling.
      You're wondering about the spotters? I'm wondering about the tie-breaking procedure.

Comment

Wow, Jenn Stuczynski's coach is a butthead. Dude just chewed her out for winning a silver medal in the pole vault (gold medal winner set WR in women's pole vault).
        Oh yeah. I wondered if he deliberately chewed her out in front of the cameras to try to humiliate her and if he was so unaware that he didn't realize that it would only document what a complete idiot and jerk he is.

Random: I don't claim to understand why gymnastics no longer allows ties when apparently other olympic sports still allow ties but as I understand it, the issue is not so much with the tiebreaking procedure (to determine the scores, drop the top and bottom scores for each gymnast, in the event of a tie, drop the next bottom score for each gymnast and hopefully that breaks the tie) as it was with the judging by judges who may not know what they're doing (to avoid the conflict of a judge from the same country as a contestant).

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
          Random: I don't claim to understand why gymnastics no longer allows ties when apparently other olympic sports still allow ties but as I understand it, the issue is not so much with the tiebreaking procedure (to determine the scores, drop the top and bottom scores for each gymnast, in the event of a tie, drop the next bottom score for each gymnast and hopefully that breaks the tie) as it was with the judging by judges who may not know what they're doing (to avoid the conflict of a judge from the same country as a contestant).
          That could also add to the controversy. Still both issues should be reviewed so when the gymnasts gather in London by 2012, either the tie-breaking procedure be overhauled or eliminated, and qualified, tested, competent judges with no conflict of national interest are in placed.

Comment

(gold medal winner set WR in women's pole vault).
            Like anybody could have surpassed Isinbayeva, who has been at the top of her game for several years now; she's another of those athletes who makes it look effortless.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Like anybody could have surpassed Isinbayeva, who has been at the top of her game for several years now; she's another of those athletes who makes it look effortless.
              Effortless? She could do a pole-dance and yet clear the bar on her vault attempt.

Comment

We might have the coach's twin in Jim Bolla who coaches the UH Wahine Basketball team.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                  Effortless? She could do a pole-dance and yet clear the bar on her vault attempt.
                  Pole Dancing? Did she make it rain?

Comment

yeehaw to the women's indoor and beach volleyball teams. indoor going for the gold and beach already won over china.

congrats also to the women's soccer team!
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    reflect, repent and reboot.
                    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

• Re: And so the 2008 Beijing Olympic begins

yeah, the write up of the women's soccer match sounds fantastic! i hope they show the entire game on tv tonight or at least all of the overtime; the story around hope is so fascinating; i'd love to see every block she made! wish natasha could have scored in that game but oh well; not a big deal.
                      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

• Apparently...

...the IOC is going to investigate gold winning gymnist He Kexin's age.
                        If they actually do a true investigation, and find that she is underage and that the Chinese gov. is responsible for the deception, it will be the tarnishing downfall of these Olympics, and for what China will be remembered, all for needless cheating.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

The Chinese gymnasts look sooooooo young it's almost scary. When I first saw them early on during the Olympics I just shook my head. There's no way on this earth many of them have even reached their teen years much less 16. But, how does one investigate a possible government deception if the government has knowingly issued new birth documentation and trashed the old, accurate documentation? Inquiring minds wanna know!

And a HUGE WAY TO GO to Kerri and Misty! Whatta match. I was hooting and hollering so loud that I met my new neighbor! Ho, da cute!

Comment

That the IOC even announced that they would investigate was a shock to me. What they will do is yet another matter. I don't expect much.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                              yeah, the write up of the women's soccer match sounds fantastic! i hope they show the entire game on tv tonight or at least all of the overtime; the story around hope is so fascinating; i'd love to see every block she made! wish natasha could have scored in that game but oh well; not a big deal.
                              It's not so nervous to watch when you know the score and isn't shown live. KHNL had the USA-Cuba women's volleyball match live after the late night news yesterday. Even though the match went 3-0 in games, the Cuban players all look like terminators.
                              The U.S.A track & field team needs a "Don't drop the baton!" coach.
                              Last edited by Walkoff Balk; August 21, 2008, 07:28 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                                That the IOC even announced that they would investigate was a shock to me. What they will do is yet another matter. I don't expect much.
                                considering the quick turnaround time, i'd say it's pretty bogus....

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...yhoo&type=lgns
                                525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
                                X