Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firing of UH women's basketball coach Jim Bolla

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/breaking/42930952.html

The attorney for Jim Bolla is going to use Title IX, a legacy of the late Patsy Mink in a lawsuit against UH. The UH women's basketball program has been the biggest lost of revenue every year under Jim Bolla. Shouldn't he have to pay back his salary for being so incompetent?

Re: Firing of UH women's basketball coach Jim Bolla

Patsy Mink might be turning over in her grave if she knew that someone was using Title IX legislation in order to hang onto a job after allegedly kicking a student-athlete.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      Patsy Mink might be turning over in her grave if she knew that someone was using Title IX legislation in order to hang onto a job after allegedly kicking a student-athlete.
      Hopefully we will hear from that student athlete (and those witnessed the incident) to see if the allegation is true.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Bolla will have a plaque in UH's Hall of Shame, right alongside Frank Arnold, Fred von Appen, Herman Frazier, and Evan Dobelle.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Can a white male claim discrimination for a firing in women's sports after only having losing seasons? The case with the Fresno women's volleyball coach who was awarded about 5 million dollars was fired after a winning season.

http://www.starbulletin.com/sports/2...ivas_case.html

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
            Hopefully we will hear from that student athlete (and those witnessed the incident) to see if the allegation is true.
            I think a big part of Frankie’s point (and correct me if I am wrong) is that the main purpose of Title IX (a.k.a. the Patsy T. Mink Equal Opportunity in Education Act) is gender equity in sports. So how does a white male coach with a losing record and accusations of abuse against female student athletes get off using it to vindicate himself?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              I think a big part of Frankie’s point (and correct me if I am wrong) is that the main purpose of Title IX (a.k.a. the Patsy T. Mink Equal Opportunity in Education Act) is gender equity in sports. So how does a white male coach with a losing record and accusations of abuse against female student athletes get off using it to vindicate himself?
              Yes,.... except that I don't think Bolla's win-loss record factors into the university's case for firing the coach "for cause" and to immediately terminate his contract, which had a couple of years remaining. This has everything to do with Bolla's misconduct and mistreatment of his players.

Good luck to Bolla's lawyer trying to prove sexual discrimination against UH. Out of the 19 head coaches employed by UH during the 2008-09 school year, 17 of them are men. (Those numbers include cheerleading, which has a male head coach as well.) Yeah, sounds like Manoa has a real hostile environment against male coaches.
              Last edited by Frankie's Market; April 18, 2009, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Jim Bolla took the saying Kickin' it ol' Skool, literally.

Comment

Yes,.... except that I don't think Bolla's win-loss record factors into the university's case for firing the coach "for cause" and to immediately terminate his contract, which had a couple of years remaining. This has everything to do with Bolla's misconduct and mistreatment of his players.
                  Which is why I want to hear from the athlete(s) that is (or are) the victim(s) of Bolla's misconduct and mistreatment.

His lawyer claimed it was a conspiracy against his client.

Comment

Is Jim Bolla's wife applying for the UH women's basketball coach position?

Comment

Bolla will have a plaque in UH's Hall of Shame, right alongside Frank Arnold, Fred von Appen, Herman Frazier, and Evan Dobelle.
                      FRANK ARNOLD had the good sense to resign after his 4-24 and 7-21 records for his two seasons here. FRED vonAPPEN was the living example of the "Peter Principle," an accomplished assistant coach who was not head coach material. EVAN DOBELLE was enamored with "celebrity," as evidenced by his selection of HERMAN FRAZIER, whom "Dumbbell" described as the "superstar of athletic directors."

It remains to be determined who was the "worst hire" in UH history, but, at the present time, my vote goes to FRAZIER, who took us for a ride with all his globe-trotting for the Olympic committee, traveling first-class on our dime with three-martini lunches to boot. He also took us for another $312K on the "buy-out," another word for "extortion." He also got another job at Temple University in his hometown of Philadelphia. WHAT A CON-MAN!

DOBELLE is a close second.

Comment

I don't think Bolla's win-loss record factors into the university's case for firing the coach "for cause" and to immediately terminate his contract, which had a couple of years remaining.
                        Maybe not, but it certainly doesn’t help him.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          Maybe not, but it certainly doesn’t help him.
                          No, it didn't. But then again, Hall of Fame coaching careers didn't protect Bobby Knight (Indiana basketball) and Woody Hayes (Ohio St. football) from being fired, either, when their personal behavior crossed the line.

Comment

Was it a good idea to hire someone that was out of basketball for a number of years? I think Jim Bolla was out of basketball when he was hired by Herman Frazier. And you saw how that turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              Was it a good idea to hire someone that was out of basketball for a number of years? I think Jim Bolla was out of basketball when he was hired by Herman Frazier. And you saw how that turned out.
                              I dunno. If the abuse allegation is true, then I don't see how the new coach (a local wahine herself) is going to be anywhere similar to Bolla-head.

Comment

Working...
                              X