No announcement yet.

Tiger Woods injured in car accident!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tiger Woods injured in car accident!

Originally posted by Random View Post
    Sighs.

Times like this, I long for the days of having concubines.

Who knows. Maybe when gay marriage become acceptable, polygamous marriage is not too far behind.
    I can accept anything that's not lied about or hushed up.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sighs.

Times like this, I long for the days of having concubines.

Who knows. Maybe when gay marriage become acceptable, polygamous marriage is not too far behind.
      Why wait? Polygyny is already legal in Iran and in most of the Middle East.

As for concubines, it's legal in the form of temporary marriage.
      Last edited by Vanguard; December 21, 2009, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
        I don't have a very lofty opinion of the legal system.
        Now THAT subject is worthy of a whole 'nother thread. I'll sit on my hands for the time being rather than hijack this thread. We might be better off if we had the matapule sytem in the US rather than the current legal system. This matapule would give Tiger Woods some Whack, Whacks in public.
        Last edited by matapule; December 21, 2009, 03:55 AM.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Neuropsychologist Vaughn Bell offers his take on the eagerness from some quarters to label Tiger's behavior as "sex addiction."

So-called Internet addiction is just one of many new behavioral addictions to break into the mainstream: there's also shopping addiction, sex addiction, eating addiction, love addiction, and others.

This creeping medicalization of everyday life means that almost any problem of excess can now be portrayed as an individual falling foul of a major mental illness. While drug addiction is a serious concern and a well-researched condition, many of the new behavioral addictions lack even the most basic foundations of scientific reliability. In light of Tiger Woods' extramarital trysts, "sex addiction" has been widely touted by the global media despite the fact it lacks official recognition and scientific support.
          Our enthusiasm for labeling new forms of addictions seems to have arisen from a perfect storm of pop medicine, pseudo-neuroscience, and misplaced sympathy for the miserable.
          Bell goes on to dispel some popular myths and exposes flaws in some research studies into various behaviorial addictions. He then spells out the very real consequences of society's addiction to labeling almost every problem of excess as an "addiction."

Currently, we are concerned about young people using the Internet, eating too much, spending irresponsibly, and being promiscuous, and these worries are being expressed in the language of addiction.......For these problems, addiction is little more than a fig leaf for a realistic understanding that would address why people return to unhelpful ways of coping with isolation, stress, and depression. Instead, we prefer to rely on a trite and unhelpful catch-all label that prevents people from getting appropriate help for their difficulties. We need to break the addiction habit, before it breaks us.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
            [...]We might be better off if we had the matapule sytem in the US rather than the current legal system. This matapule would give Tiger Woods some Whack, Whacks in public.
            Last I heard that was the Auntie Pupule system!

Comment

Okay, I get that people use the "I'm an addict of ________" as an excuse for their behavior. However- after studying addictions and chemical dependency, I do know that addiction is partially genetic and some people are predisposed to being more vulnerable to being tempted by addictive behaviors. This is regulated by a certain part of the brain. Gambling can be and is an addictive behavior, just like sex can be, and drinking, drugs, etc. Using these as a crutch pisses me off, but some people truly have problems and need help.

Does Tiger have an addiction? I don't know and wouldn't even want to venture a guess. I don't have any info about his medical/psych records. I agree with Dr. Bell about the ridiculousness with which people are hurrying to label him an addict. But the way he seems to dismiss any other addictions beyond alcohol and drugs pisses me off.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                I can accept anything that's not lied about or hushed up.
                Mmm. I wonder if Elin wouldn't mind Megan Fox in the mix.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                  Okay, I get that people use the "I'm an addict of ________" as an excuse for their behavior. However- after studying addictions and chemical dependency, I do know that addiction is partially genetic and some people are predisposed to being more vulnerable to being tempted by addictive behaviors. This is regulated by a certain part of the brain.
                  There's no doubt that many folks would concur with you. Bell's views may be controversial, but his criticisms of the scientific methodology (or lack thereof) used by some mental health professionals is something that is worth examining. One example is the direct corelation that some "experts" have made between addiction and the neurotransmitter dopamine.

The idea that all these behavioral problems can be reduced to brain chemistry is also linked to a vacuous piece of pseudo-neuroscience. According to many popular discussions of the topic, dopamine equals addiction. That fallacy is often touted by mental health professionals as a substantive explanation when it is nothing of the sort. The popular myth goes something like this: Dopamine levels increase when we do something pleasurable, and this is what causes the addiction. When anyone wants to convince you that something should really count as an addiction, they'll quote the fact that it "raises dopamine levels."
                  While acknowledging that there is some factual basis to support this, Bell points out that the science is so much more complex than that.

There's no direct one-to-one relationship between dopamine and addiction, and knowing that this particular brain chemical is released during an activity predicts nothing about how problematic the activity might be. As the dopamine system starts working when we encounter anything pleasurable, the popular myth would suggest everything we like could be addictive: reading books, scratching an itch, building model steamships out of matchsticks, whatever floats your boat.
                  I think the point Bell is trying to make is that there's a whole lot of dopamine-fueled behavior that takes place with everyone. Some of it can have social and personal consequences. Others would be negligible. Does it merit entering a treatment clinic in order to receive addiction rehab? Be very careful before you answer. There's some enterprising "therapists" out there. As Bell mentioned in the beginning of his article, for $15 grand, you too can break your addiction to playing World of Warcraft.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Last I heard that was the Auntie Pupule system!
                    Mui Houma make Auntie Pupule honery matapule, firs' eba!
                    Last edited by matapule; December 21, 2009, 01:37 PM.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      At best, any interview will be carefully scripted and crafted, which will make him sound insincere and evasive at a time when the public is expecting him to be heartfelt and candid about his infidelities.
                      I don't expect him to present himself publically with a heartfelt and candid statement about his alleged infidelities. Why? My belief is that people DO SEND A MESSAGE about who they really are, and if we just look and listen, we CAN SEE who they are. If someone can lie to their spouse and cheat on their family's unity, well, that would paint them as a liar and cheater. I don't expect a liar and cheater to give a "heartfelt" statement to the public.

One other thing to note: Setting aside a couple of UH football play-by-play commentary threads, this thread is the quickest growing thread of an ongoing, developing story in the Player's Place forum. Only 24 days old, and it's already up to 174 posts, including this one. It just goes to show... this Tiger Woods story is big news and has taken a life of its own.
                      The story has the makeup of a good diversion from our everyday lives. The toppling of someone else off a high pedestal, the public's belief of a celebrity's "dream marriage" being broken, sex and sex and more sex, money and money and more money. This is the stuff of romance novels, well, once the wife gets her ton of $$ and finds happiness elsewhere.
                      Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Better, perhaps polyamorous marriages, which are fair equally for both genders...uh all genders.... (whew)!
                        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                        ~ ~
                        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Neuropsychologist Vaughn Bell offers his take on the eagerness from some quarters to label Tiger's behavior as "sex addiction."
                          Bell goes on to dispel some popular myths and exposes flaws in some research studies into various behaviorial addictions. He then spells out the very real consequences of society's addiction to labeling almost every problem of excess as an "addiction."
                          Good one Frankie. It's too easy to excuse away our behavious as 'not my fault!' when ultimately,our society expects responsibility for our actions.

Perhaps out 'lenient judges' are partly to blame, in letting people off for so-called psychologic defects, but that's a slippery slope, a convenient excuse, and occasionally a valid defense.

K.:.
                          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                          ~ ~
                          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

He then spells out the very real consequences of society's addiction to labeling almost every problem of excess as an "addiction."
                            Matapule have excess addiction to HT and ohana there, and he no care!

Comment

and Trojan Condoms. (Last one being subject to cancellation if Tiger has an illegitimate "Cub" out there, somewhere.)
                              I just heard a joke on Jay Leno about Tiger not using condoms.

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                              Why wait? Polygyny is already legal in Iran and in most of the Middle East.
                              He could be a Mormon. So, you might see Tiger coming to your door in a white shirt and tie. Just don't hide and pretend you're not home when Tiger knocks on your door.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                                He could be a Mormon. So, you might see Tiger coming to your door in a white shirt and tie. Just don't hide and pretend you're not home when Tiger knocks on your door.
                                The main Mormon church is against polygamy, so hypothetically it would have to be the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Comment

Working...
                                X