No announcement yet.

Tiger Woods injured in car accident!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tiger Woods injured in car accident!

Originally posted by Amati View Post
    I don't expect him to present himself publically with a heartfelt and candid statement about his alleged infidelities. Why? My belief is that people DO SEND A MESSAGE about who they really are, and if we just look and listen, we CAN SEE who they are. If someone can lie to their spouse and cheat on their family's unity, well, that would paint them as a liar and cheater. I don't expect a liar and cheater to give a "heartfelt" statement to the public.
    So what we expect? Woods going to the mike and breaking his public silence with a defiant statement like, "I cheated on my wife and shattered my family life. Big f----n' deal! I'm just here to play golf."

I dunno 'bout dat. I'm not going to hold my breath expecting Tiger to become the WWE villain of his sport.

If Tiger wants to get back in the good graces of those fans who are open-minded towards giving him a second chance, it all begins with an apology that looks sincere. That's the first step in the healing process. How it all plays out over the long run is something that we'll be seeing in the months ahead.

The story has the makeup of a good diversion from our everyday lives. The toppling of someone else off a high pedestal, the public's belief of a celebrity's "dream marriage" being broken, sex and sex and more sex, money and money and more money.
    Totally agree with this. This story so much more than some pro golfer cheating on his wife.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
      I just heard a joke on Jay Leno about Tiger not using condoms.

He could be a Mormon. So, you might see Tiger coming to your door in a white shirt and tie. Just don't hide and pretend you're not home when Tiger knocks on your door.
      Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
      The main Mormon church is against polygamy, so hypothetically it would have to be the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
      OK, seriously you guys are cracking me up

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        There's no doubt that many folks would concur with you. Bell's views may be controversial, but his criticisms of the scientific methodology (or lack thereof) used by some mental health professionals is something that is worth examining. One example is the direct corelation that some "experts" have made between addiction and the neurotransmitter dopamine. While acknowledging that there is some factual basis to support this, Bell points out that the science is so much more complex than that.

I think the point Bell is trying to make is that there's a whole lot of dopamine-fueled behavior that takes place with everyone. Some of it can have social and personal consequences. Others would be negligible. Does it merit entering a treatment clinic in order to receive addiction rehab? Be very careful before you answer. There's some enterprising "therapists" out there. As Bell mentioned in the beginning of his article, for $15 grand, you too can break your addiction to playing World of Warcraft.
        I don't want to hijack the thread with discussion of the physiology of addiction. However, there is a lot more than just dopamine involved in the processes of the brain when dealing with addiction. You have to look at different parts of the brain, genetics, and other biological and sociological factors. This man is taking a very narrow view and generalizing it.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
          Using these as a crutch pisses me off, but some people truly have problems and need help.
          Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
          there is a lot more than just dopamine involved in the processes of the brain when dealing with addiction. You have to look at different parts of the brain, genetics, and other biological and sociological factors. This man is taking a very narrow view and generalizing it.
          SG, you get it, unlike so many folks. Thank you.

Comment

I don't expect a liar and cheater to give a "heartfelt" statement to the public.
            If Tiger wants to get back in the good graces of those fans who are open-minded towards giving him a second chance, it all begins with an apology that looks sincere.
            Yes, but therein lies the rub, I don't expect that a liar and cheater will give a honestly heartfelt and sincere apology. They can "pretend" though. Meanwhile, "fans" are often quick to forgive and forget their idols, no matter what the offense. Such is the power of fame.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Yes, but therein lies the rub, I don't expect that a liar and cheater will give a honestly heartfelt and sincere apology. They can "pretend" though. Meanwhile, "fans" are often quick to forgive and forget their idols, no matter what the offense. Such is the power of fame.
              Nope. Cannot Forgive Bill Clinton.
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                Nope. Cannot Forgive Bill Clinton.
                I don't, but it wasn't for the Lewinsky scandal, it was for wasting his presidency - I have fears of Obama heading down a similar path (but that's WAY off-topic for this thread, sorry).

Comment

Sexologist Dr. Logan Levkoff is another scientist/scholar who's skeptical about the idea of Tiger Woods being a sex addict.

Some people question if Tiger has a sex addiction. Perhaps that's the only way that some can justify his behaviors. "Our hero wouldn't do this. He must have a problem." In my personal - and professional - opinion, this is not a sex addiction. This is another example of a celebrity believing that he (or she) is entitled to certain allowances and freedoms. We have a system that has made monsters of mere mortals, suggesting that they are better than others; that they will not have the fate of a philandering "mortal" man. This is hubris, plain and simple.
                  Back to Tiger - some people are angry that a man's personal life is being scrutinized on the world stage. While I understand this (and agree that our media is over-involved), it's just not realistic in the world today. Our invasive and intrusive media is what helped to create the Tiger Woods brand; no surprise that it also contributed to his undoing.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Just a reminder that in my earlier posts about sex addiction, I emphasized that, while I am personally certain that said addiction exists, I know not whether it applies to Tiger Woods.
                    Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Don't anyone accuse me of defending Tiger Woods' behavior; I have no idea if "addiction" is his excuse or explanation at all.
                    I do wonder about Dr. Levkoff's statement:
                    In my personal - and professional - opinion, this is not a sex addiction.
                    I can understand the "personal" part, but without having examined the individual, I think she's stepping over the bounds of what is "professional." She's just playing another part of the media game (in my personal opinion).

Comment

I can understand the "personal" part, but without having examined the individual, I think she's stepping over the bounds of what is "professional." She's just playing another part of the media game (in my personal opinion).
                      According to the bio on her website, Dr. Levkoff's credentials are as follows:

Logan Levkoff is an AASECT certified sex educator. She received her Ph.D. in Human Sexuality, Marriage, and Family Life Education from New York University and an M.S. in Human Sexuality Education and a B.A. in English from the University of Pennsylvania.
                      Logan frequently appears on television including Good Morning America, The Today Show, Oprah, Fox News Channel, CNN, MSNBC, VH1, and Fox Business Channel providing candid and informative insights. In addition to her on-screen appearances, Logan is often featured as a trusted source for publications such as Cosmopolitan, Seventeen, Esquire, Ladies Home Journal, Brides, and Men’s Health. She has penned the sex column for American Health and Fitness magazine and acted as the sexual advice columnist for Ellegirl.com and The Sexual Health Network. Currently, Logan writes the sex columns for Fit Pregnancy, POZ magazine, Maximum Fitness, MarieClaire.com, and blogs for The Huffington Post. In addition to print media, Logan is a dynamic speaker. She has been a spokesperson for Trojan, serves on the Trojan Sexual Health Advisory Council, and is on the Board of Advisors for Maximum Fitness and Parenting Teens Online. She also wrote “The Espresso Dating Guide” (a joint project between Starbucks and Yahoo! Personals), and is the relationship expert for Bertolli’s “Dinner and Your Movie” campaign (Spring 2008) and Tupperware’s “Chain of Confidence” program.

Logan is also the author of Third Base Ain't What it Used to Be: What Your Kids are Learning About Sex Today and How to Teach Them to Become Sexually Healthy Adults (NAL/Penguin, October 2007), which helps parents to understand the role sexuality plays in their children’s lives and empowers parents to become better at-home sexuality educators.
                      Of course, all that doesn't make Dr. Levkoff's opinions infallible. But if it doesn't merit her statements re: sex/relationships as being that of a professional in the field, then I'd really like to see who's opinion does.

Comment

But if it doesn't merit her statements re: sex/relationships as being that of a professional in the field, then I'd really like to see who's opinion does.
                        Sorry Frankincense, to have a professional opinion she would have had to EXAMINE (or question) the subject.
                        Otherwise it's just professional speculation.

Everybody has opinions, remember? But only those backed by investigation carry any weight - if even then!

What is this, Wikipedia?

K!
                        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                        ~ ~
                        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Kaonohi beat me to it, Frankie - but yeah, I don't question the good doc's credentials, only the ability to give a "professional" opinion without doing the "professional" investigative and diagnostic work. All she gave was a "personal" opinion, albeit a learned one.

Merry Christmas, Kaonohi & Frankie's Market! And may peace reign on HT.

Comment

Merry Christmas, Kaonohi & Frankie's Market! And may peace reign on HT.
                            "Peace on earth and mercy mild,

FM and Kaonohi reconciled"

A prayer.

Comment

Kaonohi beat me to it, Frankie - but yeah, I don't question the good doc's credentials, only the ability to give a "professional" opinion without doing the "professional" investigative and diagnostic work. All she gave was a "personal" opinion, albeit a learned one.
                              "Professional" or "learned." Essentially, it's all semantics at this point.

Altho' it has to be admitted. If you go to a Xmas party where someone is describing their symptoms and someone who is an actual physician starts off by saying, "In my professional opinion,..." it would take a lot of cajones on your part to correct the doctor by saying, "Ahem! You mean, in your PERSONAL opinion."

Speaking of parties, I need to get back to my own. Merry Christmas and a happy 2010 to everyone!
                              Last edited by Frankie's Market; December 25, 2009, 10:50 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• FM & Kaonohi reconciled?

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                                "Peace on earth and mercy mild,

FM and Kaonohi reconciled"

A prayer.
                                FIE on ye!
                                Such prayers for homogeneity would strangle and suffocate the family of Man!

FM & K often disagree - but this is a GOOD thing!
                                We see things from different perspectives, not that one of us is wrong or right, but that we share our visions. By so doing we grow closer to the Truth, so long as we can put our egos aside and jointly seek Truth (a slippery devil...).

It is by such discourse that science learns new truths; are we less than they?

Frankie and I are but two parts of the anvil and hammer by which understanding is forged.

But we are yet infants in this enterprise, still learning our art.

When we can learn to do it peaceably, you will know we have taken our first step toward Humanity.

Give us time. We are but infants.

K~~~~~~~~<
                                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                                ~ ~
                                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X