No announcement yet.

Banning Alcohol at UH Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aiona lotta beer, and I goin drinkum!
    "Alcohol-related misbehavior at the stadium is the driving force behind the fast-tracked proposal."

"Aiona, who has been a UH season-ticket holder for about 20 years, said fan misconduct has escalated to a point where, 'It is just not fun anymore. In fact, my children don't even go to the games anymore.'"

"Chris Masuda, 34, of Honolulu, however, said drinking and football games '(go) hand in hand. I would be bummed if they banned beer. But I would still go. It's not the end of the world.'"

"The proposal still needs approval from the nine-member Aloha Stadium Authority when it meets Aug. 25."

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      ho da spooky. an evil mind passion/hellbent to change the landscape to his warped cult vision of how his society should control with their religious ferver, the masses.
      visionms of the SS, third reich.
      soon, this will be another revolt.
      Keep religion and govermnent away from private lives!
      Well isn't Dukey boy just a reflection of the current sorry state of affairs going on in government nationally? I'm sure he wouldn't have the 'alas to propose something like this if people of his religious ilk weren't in power.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
        "Aiona, who has been a UH season-ticket holder for about 20 years, said fan misconduct has escalated to a point where, 'It is just not fun anymore. In fact, my children don't even go to the games anymore.'"
        No, it IS fun anymore.
        and who said we want HIS kids there?!

Comment

No, it IS fun anymore.
          and who said we want HIS kids there?!
          Dass right brah. After all, we can't be letting da keeds have all da fun! For crying out loud, it's a game, right? It's not supposed to be for young keeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
            How come nobody else has wondered about the man's real agenda, in light of this story from back in June?
            I asked this very question when the anti-beer crusade resurfaced last week in my podcast. Most of the response, including from my wife, has been that it's unrelated, particularly because Catholics don't have a particular beef with alcohol.

I think it's still relevant because (1.) Aiona is clearly in a very specific, and certainly evangelical category of Christian (not strictly Catholic), and (2.) for all his protestations to the contrary, he does seem to have a problem keeping public policy and personal faith separated.

An affirmation of personal faith, or participating in a religious event, is one thing. But how can you not construe these objectives as crossing into scary territory?

• "I would like God to bless the people of Hawai'i and see God's love transform our state."
            • "Our schools will become God's schools; our community will become God's community; our city will become God's city; our Islands will become God's Islands; our state will become God's state; and our Hawai'i will become God's Hawai'i."
            What's especially entertaining is how the group Transformation Hawaii is adamant that they're inclusive of all churches, not just one brand of Christianity. Heck, all religious groups think they're diverse and open. But just ask any church that's not in the group's clique, and they'd probably affirm that they're "not part of that movement."

Still, how this relates to the anti-alcohol thing is purely conjecture, because as far as I've seen, Transformation Hawaii doesn't exactly have a policy paper that says, "Beer=Hell."

Comment

Maybe it's an outgrowth of Aiona's anti-drugs efforts. It's not such a big leap to go from drugs=evil to alcohol=evil. Or maybe he's been hanging out with Mufi and that ol' Mormon no-booze-no-coffee-no-nothing attitude is rubbing off.

Comment

For crying out loud, it's a game, right?

it's a game.

of a couple gangs. in their colors. meeting on neutral turf. to beat up each other. pound hell outa each odda till they submit. gang up on and piledrive. I can't see myself sitting there with tight legs crossed sipping tea. Noooo thanks.

Comment

I can't see myself sitting there with tight legs crossed sipping tea. Noooo thanks.
                  You already gotta do dat at home with KimosWahine, right? I can relate to dat, brah.

Comment

I just voted in da Hon. Advertiser's unofficial poll, which then allowed me to view da current standings as of dat moment, which if they hold true to da bitter end, would allow all da beer-guzzling "bleacher gladiators" to prevail.

I just heard one "yee-haw!" out deya. Was dat from
                    somebody who's been busy stacking da votes maybe?

Comment

You already gotta do dat at home with KimosWahine, right? I can relate to dat, brah.
                      wot. Kimoswahine oah deah too!?

akshully, right now, da wahine steh lookin all mahke-die-dead on da floor, empty primo bottles surrounding her....
                      here's a little song about dat and it goes sumpin like dis;
                      http://tinyurl.com/e4jsh

Comment

Comment

I just voted in da Hon. Advertiser's unofficial poll, which then allowed me to view da current standings as of dat moment, which if they hold true to da bitter end, would allow all da beer-guzzling "bleacher gladiators" to prevail.
                          Wow. I have mixed feelings on the possible ban (and I don't even drink!), but I'm surprised it's a relatively even poll (for what little online polls are worth). Shows how much times have changed. Suggest banning alcohol at football games a decade or two decades ago, and you'd be run out of town. Now, from what I'm learning, several college sports leagues have alcohol bans as part of an overall policy. Interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

(for what little online polls are worth)
                            Yes, especially if one might be akamai enough to know how to disable their cookies, which would theoretically allow them to continually stack the votes in their favor until the poll was shut down. But, I'm sure nobody here would do that. Would they?

Comment

Banning Alcohol at UH Games

Why is it that when a handful of idiots get out of hand, authority-figures want to end everybody's fun ? What I'm talking about is Duke Aiona's plan to ban alcohol at UH homegames? Now I don't live on O'ahu ...but I support ones right to celebrate team pride as long as your of legal age and can control ones self. In the recent Advertiser poll it was pretty close: 669 for-720 against. If Duke gets his way tailgating with a beer will be a thing that the kupuna will talk about.

What's will happen when the NFL wants to serve alcohol at the Pro-Bowl? Where does this punishing the masses end? I would ban the troublemakers for life and leave the others out for fun and relaxing alone.
                              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                              Flickr

Comment

Re: Banning Alcohol at UH Games

Originally posted by alohabear
                                Why is it that when a handful of idiots get out of hand, authority-figures want to end everybody's fun ?

that is their job. as misplaced as the expenditure of energy is, they have an easy target and they go after it. That way, their mug stays in da news and they can write a poorly designed overly costly book later and say "looka all da junk i wen do fo you guys! aren chew grateful?!"

Comment

Working...
                                X