Banning Alcohol at UH Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Banning Alcohol at UH Games

Lee Cataluna (she's back!) comments that Aiona seems to have scaled down his ambitions considerably, if this is the best anti-drugs initiative he can tackle.

Comment

I tried to read it but she lost me at:
      "Build it over — clean, strong, new.
      So we sign on, sign up, buy into the battle cry.
      BUT ...
      Well, OK."

after a minute i couldn't tell what da hell she talking about.
      so i turn da page.

so i re-read it after you say she talking about Aiona's little Quixotic caper.
      She makes a good point. But sheeyyyiii.. what a circuitous way of doing it!

Comment

If you just read da last paragraph and sentence, I tink you get her point (no need read all da filla in between, oddawise you going get lost) : Why is Duke Aiona so fixated on "fixing" decorum Aloha Stadium, when there are so many more serious and pressing issues for the City? Cut da poor wahine some slack! She just had a very dangerous pregnancy and childbirth. I hope her child is doing OK now.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          Cut da poor wahine some slack! She just had a very dangerous pregnancy and childbirth. I hope her child is doing OK now.

Miulang

Oooop
          yea. sorry, eh?!

glad she's back too.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Cut da poor wahine some slack! She just had a very dangerous pregnancy and childbirth. I hope her child is doing OK now.
            She lost the baby, Miulang.

It's true there are "bigger fish to fry," but frankly, the Lt. Governor's office has always been the dumping ground of feel-good but ultimately pointless initiatives. It's interesting that Cataluna is saying, "He's lowering his standards" from drugs to alcohol, where I still see his latest efforts as stepping things up a notch. I guess I never saw his "ice" projects as particularly significant.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              She lost the baby, Miulang.
              Aw, I neva wen hear about dat part befoa. Mahalos for da correction.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Aiona lotta beer, and I goin drinkum!

Just took da Hon. SB poll...

Quite da contrast from da Hon. Ad's...

Comment

At any family event there should be a ban on alcohol. Note the period after that sentence?

I was at a baseball game at the Les Murakami stadium a few years back sitting in some very choice seats (three rows up behind home plate) enjoying a home game with three of my boys. By the 6th inning two men who had been drinking since the first pitch had gotten to the point where foul language and chair kicking (ours) were getting a bit annoying.

By the end of the 7th inning I was ready to turn around and beat the living crap out of them for their vulgar, profane and chair kicking actions but my kid's presence kept me from losing my cool.

Towards the end of the game one of the guys belched something nasty and I heard one of my kids scream! It seems one of my boys was wearing everything one of those guys had consumed during the whole game...all over the back of his head and neck with puke dripping down his shirt.

I was so furious but before I could do anything they took off leaving a trail of vomit up along the way.

On another occasion I was attending a Pro Bowl game at Halawa stadium. I kept circling the lot trying to find a parking space. Many tailgaters had taken up more than their alloted one space to have room for their spreads. Many of us missed pretty much the first quarter of action as we finally got spaces after security guards told those tailgaters to allow the rest of us to park. I unfortunately had to park next to a pretty rowdy bunch and they weren't happy at all about having their party squeezed out.

After the game (you guessed it) my car was keyed and the door panel was dinged repeatedly. Fortunately I took the license plate of the adjacent car before I left for the game and promptly called my friend at HPD. I managed to find out where that asshole lived and the next morning that bonehead found his car with a brick thru his rear window and his radio antenna twisted like a pretzel.

Yeah alcohol has no place at these kinds of sporting events. If you gotta drink to enjoy a game there's something wrong with that. I want to know what's going on when the play is in action. Being a total drunken jerk to everyone isn't what I call being a good sport.

Remember there are children present and when I used to go to any stadium event, there's always more than just a handful of drunken spectators. Heck one guy who wasn't rowdy at all was sipping his beer at a game once and even he was blurting out phrases like, "that F*ckka wen miss em again? Hoa dat f*ckka goin lose da game for us". Then he saw my kids sitting right next to him and apologized. Too late my kids already had to sit thru his profanity.

Sporting events are for everyone to enjoy but when some drunken asshole starts affecting my kids then it becomes my problem and I applaud anyone who is willing to stand up and say: Enough is enough...stop the alcohol so the rest of us can enjoy the game too! There is no place in this world for a drunk except in a detox center.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

ho, Craig you one beeg bumboocha moke you, eh!? i goin steh on yer good side from now on.

dass pretty damned disgusting re; da upchuck....
                    ho man...

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55

ho, Craig you one beeg bumboocha moke you, eh!? i goin steh on yer good side from now on.
                      So what kimo...how much wen cost fo fix da glass on your car's rear window?

Comment

Craig,
                        Those were unfortunate incidents that you experienced. However, those things could have happened (maybe with the exception of the puking) without alcohol, too. It's like saying since kids from 18 - 22 are involved in 70% of speeding accidents, let's ban driving for this age group. This may merely represent 5% of drivers between those ages, however, you'll punish everyone instead of getting to the root of the problem. Yes, I do drink alcohol. No I do not attend football games. I have gone to baseball games in the past, and usually did not drink at the games.

People are just inconsiderate (and hopefully it's just a minority) and spoiling it for everyone else. There are many that do drink responsibly and I do not believe they too should be punished.

Then again, after making these types of arguments, stupid actions make people want to react to say that they are doing something to solve the problem. Stupid actions like the kid at Yankee Stadium that jumped into the backstop net at yesterday's game.
                        Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by Moto
                          Craig,
                          Those were unfortunate incidents that you experienced. However, those things could have happened (maybe with the exception of the puking) without alcohol, too. It's like saying since kids from 18 - 22 are involved in 70% of speeding accidents, let's ban driving for this age group. This may merely represent 5% of drivers between those ages, however, you'll punish everyone instead of getting to the root of the problem. Yes, I do drink alcohol. No I do not attend football games. I have gone to baseball games in the past, and usually did not drink at the games.

People are just inconsiderate (and hopefully it's just a minority) and spoiling it for everyone else. There are many that do drink responsibly and I do not believe they too should be punished.

Then again, after making these types of arguments, stupid actions make people want to react to say that they are doing something to solve the problem. Stupid actions like the kid at Yankee Stadium that jumped into the backstop net at yesterday's game.
                          Don't they have crowd control people at these sporting events? Up here, if people are acting rowdy, they're usually watching what's going on. If you see something (like drunk people causing problems), wave those ushers over and have them deal with the problem. They can get those people kicked out of the stadium. If it gets really bad, they have cops in the area too (have started to have them around ever since 9/11).

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                            So what kimo...how much wen cost fo fix da glass on your car's rear window?
                            wot!? You know we...

Oh, yea. You not heah.

We jezz leav um li dat. more air circulation.
                            easier fo grab da nex beer next tailgate.

Comment

No beeg deal

That's why you pre funk in the parking lot. Its funner to drink before you watch the game than drink and watch. For those of you who do, you know what I mean

Comment

Being at a game is all about full-on emotions even without alcohol in the picture. I've tried to high-five a friend once at the end of a Wahine volleyball game, missed, and accidentally karanged him full force in the head...and my friend is a head taller than me and twice my weight. And that was in the heat of the moment, and I hasten to add, when I was stone cold sober. In fact, for the record, I don't drink. And not because of religious convictions, but because my dad had a drinking problem. I could care less if anyone else drinks socially around me, but I refuse to do so myself.

If someone like me could inflict damage when sober, imagine if I had had something to drink?

Duke Aiona's religious convictions aside, I don't blame him. It's getting downright dangerous out there. Too often people drink to excess. I would prefer not to feel like I'm going to get caught in the middle of a drunken brawl at Aloha Stadium. Or to get caught behind someone yelling at the Warriors in a drunken rage.

I say, do whatever it takes to get the violence under control.
                                http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Working...
                                X