Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Little League World Series

Originally posted by mel
    Lastly, this is a point that Rick Hamada at KHVH also agreed on. So finally someone is in the same company as Rick other than myself on this board. Way to go Scriv!
    I'd like to ask that we look at it a different way: That Rick has finally had enough sense to agree with me. We should be welcoming Rick Hamada aboard, not me!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      I don't think it's fair to say that the tone of my contributions or mel's contributions really qualifies as "father-bashing."
      Sorry, I was in a hurry this morning. You're right, it's not been "bashing" and that was too harsh of a term for me to use. But I did feel it brought a bit of negativity into something that should be celebrating the kids victory. In hindsight, probably should've been a separate thread, that's all.

We didn't seem to care what Malia Song or John Berger thought
      True, Scriv, but they're adults and are used to the pitfalls of being in the limelight.
      Carry on, folks. I guess I just wanted to keep this all kid-friendly.

What the team did is wonderful. The boys and girls should be proud of their accomplishment. Someday, I hope they find other, more mundane things to be equally proud of, including a commitment to a family and to co-workers and employers.
      Point well taken.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
        It all boils down to financial responsibility IMO. He should have stayed home and kept his job.
        And I'm willing to bet you've never been a father.

Comment

Congratulation to the Ewa Beach baseball team and their supporters.

Looks like you guys won us
          Hopes to see Ewa Beach Next year again, curacao will be back for sure

Good play

you can find more info about those curacao boys here www.curacao.com
          they made a little ection about them
          Originally posted by lavagal
          I guess those Curacao boys will be staying stateside for a little while, at least until the storm is through.
          Nopes they came back monday in the afternoon
          Originally posted by waioli kai
          It is interesting that the last 2005 Little League World Series playoff was earned by two teams from small islands in different oceans; one Pacific island (O'ahu 1+ million people) the product of United States' economic imperialism, one Atlantic island (Curacao 150,000 people) the product of Netherlands' economic imperialism.
          Carribean Island , true we got around 100.000 to 150.000 people
          Originally posted by LikaNui
          I watched the entire game and loved it! Thought it was over for our boys when the umpire made the bad call on tagging the Curacao kid sliding into home plate, but the Ewa Beach boys fought back beautifully.
          I think he didnt touched the curacao kid , almost touched ,that was a good play
          Originally posted by jdub
          i was watching one of those talking-heads sports shows, and the question came up about whether or not ABC should have showed the losing Curacao kids bawling after their loss...i figure, hell, it's part of the game ain't it? how 'bout it?
          Well we didnt lose everything , we won the international Champion
          Originally posted by Moto
          I think it just showed how much those kids really wanted to win this game. It could also reflect some frustration because they were just 3 outs away from being the repeat champions of the world and it slipped away. I hope that most of the viewers realized that the team from Curacao had nothing to be ashamed of. They played a great game as did our team from Ewa Beach. It is a shame that one team had to lose.
          Last year we was the first carribean island that won the World champion and if we did won we would be the first ever to win 2 year in a row

Both teams played great, both pitched great.

But did you guys saw 1 of the homerun of the curacao, the ball when over the second wall

Good play hopes to see both teams play again ech other again

Comment

Originally posted by dabvz01
            I think he didnt touched the curacao kid , almost touched ,that was a good play
            The replay clearly showed the catcher's glove hitting the Curacao kid on the lower leg, hard enough that you could clearly see his leg get knocked over from the tag. No question about it at all.
            But fortunately, in the end the umpire's error didn't matter.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
              KITV said several times last night that they were trying to get permission to rebroadcast the entire game, so keep watching. They're also doing a 1/2-hour special Friday night; more info will probably be provided then.
              It's gonna be on ESPN Classic either Friday or Saturday (I think Saturday, but I didn't pay that much attention). Watch KITV for updates.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

"Offers pour in for jobless Little League dad"...and game rebroadcast info.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                  It's gonna be on ESPN Classic either Friday or Saturday (I think Saturday, but I didn't pay that much attention). Watch KITV for updates.
                  From the S-B story linked above:
                  ESPN Classic (Time Warner 23 or digital 218) will rebroadcast the World Series championship game at 2 p.m. Friday.
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

From Link's link:
                    His resignation from a well-paying job has raised eyebrows, but he's not being faulted.
                    Except on HawaiiThreads, I guess.

Overall, I think it's interesting that the debate Mr. Enos' decision has spawned has been a more practical one - fairness to employers and coworkers - rather than the initial concerns our dear Scrivener raised about the broader call of priorities: staying and earning a living, or being by his son's side on the Mainland.

Mr. Enos does express some discomfort with all the money and job offers being thrust at him, and that only makes sense. His story is noteworthy only insofar as the media seized upon him as a symbol of a larger story arc they wanted to tell.

I'm glad also to see that Francis Kuhn's situation at Island Ready-Mix is also getting acknowledgement. Though I imagine the only reason why Kuhn felt compelled to issue a formal statement was because his role in the story was initially being depicted negatively.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

From Link's link:
                      Link's link? Which Link's link? Oh! You must have me on Ignore too! No biggie.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                        You must have me on Ignore too!
                        Wow, you've pissed off that many people already?

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe

Wow, you've pissed off that many people already?
                          Adono...maybe it's my MQ (Moke Quotient). And I don't even live on Ahe St.

Comment

Working...
                          X