X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UH vs USC

WHOA.
    It was just a game.
    And in the department store of Life, sports is still in the Toy section.
    (your choice of smiley goes here)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Gosh I don't know what was worse... the drubbing or the $6.50 I plunked for a 20 oz beer (twice!).
      Them: "OK that will be $6.50"
      Me: "No I just wanted ONE beer!"

I wasn't expecting a win but then again I didn't think we wouldn't help our own cause that much... too many mistakes on both sides of the ball. Offsides, blown coverages, delay of games, fumbles, interceptions.

The O-line seemed to be the only ones doing what they had to do... our quarterbacks seemed like they had all day to pass.

Comment

Still happy I didn't put money on this game... spent the money on bills instead.

But I would have made money! USC actually covered the 40-point spread. For the first game of the season, these guys looked like a well-oiled machine when all the starters were in the game.

And I gotta admit, I was more than pleasantly surprised by UH's performance. Hopefully the injuries aren't going to affect them, and they'll come out swinging next(?) week.

The national exposure was a huge deal, regardless of the outcome. UH won big with all the publicity that comes with a game like this against a team like USC.

Comment

It would have been great if the Warriors had been able to defeat USC or even scored more points. But considering the fact that USC is in one of the powerhouse conferences along with the likes of UW and UO, the Warriors put up a very brave front and gave their all. I always root for the underdogs in any sporting event (Lord knows how often the Huskies have been on the losing end of things in the last couple of years ). I'm sure the Warriors will fare much better and come out victorious when they play teams in their own conference.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

UH was picked to finish third in the WAC.

The Pac-10, while definitely stronger than the WAC, is still considered by some as not being at the same level as the SEC and ACC. There's always been a bias against teams from the Pac-10... just look back to when USC was forced to share the national title.

Comment

People up here are saying USC is for sure going to win the Pac-10 trophy this season, no ifs ands or buts, even though they are supposed to be in the process of "rebuilding". My hapless Huskies are rated even lower than our mortal enemy, Wazoo. Well, I guess that means we'll beat WSU's butt in the Apple Cup this year. That would almost be better than finishing second in the Pac-10!

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Why oh why did June Jones even consider this match up? I mean it makes me think he actually did it to bet against his own team! Now he has two sidelined players and it's only September!

I'm glad I was working that day and never got the chance to witness the carnage.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

You get better by playing the best

We get our ass kicked now but we learn what it takes to be a better program. You can make little mistakes here and there against a lesser team. But against a better team you have to be that much more precise and perfect to win. Maybe we should just play against lesser teams to be perfect. That's the case lets go down to Div 1-AA and play Cal Poly SLO and Cal State Sac every year. No, we play the best to get better as a program. Look at the rest of the world in Basketball. The dream team crushed em in 92, and in 04 we could only get bronze with losses to Puerto Rico and Lithuania as well as Argentina.

This was a good game to have. Scheduling good teams will only make us better in the long run. Who's to say those injuries wouldn't have occurred against some team like Montana? Injuries occur in every game and its up to the coaching staff to have to work through them.

Too bad you didn't see the game. There is much to look forward to. The defense attacks, Our QBs look like they will be okay and we have more team speed than ever. Heck it was USC, they trounced Oklahoma in last year's national Championship noone expected us to win. We gave it our best now we move on.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    Why oh why did June Jones even consider this match up?
                    For the chance to play on national television against a team with the history and reputation that USC has... they might have lost, but the publicity was fantastic.

You know UH is going to lose, but that's why we won't play them again until what... 2010? Maybe they'll cycle to the bottom of the Pac-10 by then.

Then again, maybe not... especially if Pete Carroll is still around.

Comment

And on top of those reasons, the broadcast fee was, what, $900,000? That goes a long way toward erasing that UH Athletic Department budget deficit.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Ding ding ding... we've got a winner folks.

Or should I say, ka-ching ka-ching ka-ching...

Comment

Weren't many of the games UH scheduled with the traditional powerhouses in D1A made in the afterglow of that great 2001 season? I seem to recall that when Herman Frazier came on board after the Hugh Yoshida era, it was his intention to schedule more Big 10, Southeast, and Pac 10 schools in order to "Move UH to the next level", a refrain constantly seen on the www.uhfootball.com and rsn web-sites.

I agree that UH, if they want to ultimately be considered for admission to the Pac-10, (which I believe will happen someday), they did indeed need to schedule these tough games. They will get kicked around, at times, but they too, are doing their share of kicking some okole, as in the reletively recent games and victories over Alabama, Michigan State, and Northwestern.

I don't know about those games with 'Bama and Florida, in their houses in the next few years, though...those are going to be tough ones!!

I mua, Na Koa! Best of luck to them against MSU!

Comment

Working...
                          X