No announcement yet.

Michelle Wie Disqualified from SamSung!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michelle Wie Disqualified from SamSung!

Annika is the most dominating golfer, male or female, ever; perhaps she is the most dominating single athlete in any sport. Her winning this thing is not news; it's news when she doesn't win. Michelle's first tournament as a pro IS news. Annika doesn't care, I'm quite sure.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      Annika is the most dominating golfer, male or female, ever; perhaps she is the most dominating single athlete in any sport. Her winning this thing is not news; it's news when she doesn't win. Michelle's first tournament as a pro IS news. Annika doesn't care, I'm quite sure.
      i tend to agree, scriv...the nature of the game is to play "your game" and block out the static of hype, pressure and everything else that can make or break you...sorenstam's win is testament to her competive nature and remarklable consistency...you don't have those qualities if you're overly concerned with someone else's game...and...wie's near hegemony on coverage in women's golf is going to taper unless she begins winning...then the circus will start all over again...
      Don't be mean,
      try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha
        P&P (Perry & Price) just ran a radio interview with Mark Rolfing, the golf announcer that did the color for NBC on the day of the incident and yesterday. Mr. Rolfing says that he feels that since the Sports Illustrated reporter felt that Michelle Wie had dropped her ball incorrectly he should have immediately called an official and reported it. P&P think that maybe for whatever reason Michael Bamberger wanted to "stick it" to her!
        I agree...as does my husband....Bamberger should've called it immediately and not [insert bullshit-->>] "struggled with it overnight".

Advertiser online as a poll setup...."Was Wie treated fairly?" I think they should also include another poll as to reporting/questions to rules officials before the round is completed and the scorecards (for that round) are signed. I do know that once the entire tournament is complete and the money list has been handed out, that any penalty would be invalid.

The thing about this sport is that they don't have referees....maybe they should. I wonder how many other's would try to "stick it" to other golfers? Instead of following their favorite golfer, they would just follow golfers they don't like just in case they screw up and try to get them dq'ed.
        Lovena

Comment

Subject: Conspiracy

Man, have you guys got it all wrong !!!

Imagine the Sunday broadcast without Wie??? No one would watch. If she had been DQd on Saturday, I would catch the NFL games, watch a movie, take my weekly shower, read a chess book, etc. Anything but watch Annika blast through the rest of the field. Boooorrring . . .

Like having Tiger in a PGA tournament, Wie's gonna be the reason to watch the LPGA for years to come.

So, with buku millions at stake, NBC told everyone to keep it quiet. How's that for a conspiracy?

Palama Kid
          Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

I've been trying to find out if Michelle Wie is officially going to play at the 2006 LPGA US Open in Newport, RI....I can't imagine why she wouldn't enter it, now that she's a pro, and in my opinion, the LPGA US Open is the most prestigious tournament in the ladies golf circuit...anyway, I came across this link about how Michelle is the talk of the town in Newport.

Newport wants Michelle in 2006

She has rapidly become "the event" in any golfing tournament she enters.

Note: Article was written in this August before she officially went pro. Based on what I can construe from the article, Newport is going to go crazy if Michelle officially enters.

Comment

Ferd Lewis at the Advertiser has finally brought up a question I've been waiting to hear anywhere in the media (or anywhere else, for that matter): Why has no blame been thrown onto Wie's professional caddy?!?
              It's his job to prevent problems like that, and his failure to catch the mistake is shameful.
              See Ferd's column at http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...36/1142/SPORTS . (I actually think it should've been even stronger in condemning the caddie, but at least he brought it up.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Did you see Corky's cartoon today? It says it all.
                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                  Did you see Corky's cartoon today? It says it all.
                  who is the 40 year old chunky cartoon woman?

Comment

There was a Letter To The Editor in today's Advertiser that said, in total:

It'll be a snowy day in Waikiki before Michelle Wie grants an exclusive interview to Sports Illustrated.
                    Dick O'Connell
                    Makiki

I disagree, and feel it would show even more of Michelle's class and maturity if she did grant them an exclusive interview. Hopefully, one that's on the topic of, or at least includes, what their own reporter did.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                      There was a Letter To The Editor in today's Advertiser that said, in total:

It'll be a snowy day in Waikiki before Michelle Wie grants an exclusive interview to Sports Illustrated.
                      Dick O'Connell
                      Makiki

I disagree, and feel it would show even more of Michelle's class and maturity if she did grant them an exclusive interview. Hopefully, one that's on the topic of, or at least includes, what their own reporter did.
                      I'm a subscriber, and it'll be interesting to see if the writer/editors discuss the magazine's role in this episode.
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I'm surprised at the reaction by the golf public. It's as if she committed suicide. What's the big deal? She made a mistake... she'll learn from it. Gosh... are golfers really that fickle?

Comment

LA Times chastises Sports Illustrated. If its account of what SI is doing in this week's issue is accurate, then SI is milking the controversy for all it's worth, which is not what I expect out of it.
                          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Hey Surfingrarmboy, I'm trying to get my husband to buy us tix for the practice rounds and maybe one tournament day for the US Women's Open! Don't know yet as it's near an annual tourney that he usually competes in.

Linkmeister, thanks for the article. Like the article says, " Bamberger erred in not dealing with the situation Saturday. That would have prevented Wie's disqualification." If he would've just said something/complained then, she would've back-track her strokes, or even conferred with a rules official then. Any corrections could've then been made prior to signing her scorecard.

Yeah, Bamberger and SI are milking it fer sure! And Bamberger is getting his 15 minutes of fame and more.....
                            Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                              Thanks for the explanation. It looked really weird to me until you pointed that out. I won't even say what it looked like!

Further proof I should avoid HT at 1:30 a.m. when I'm tired and cranky ...

I apologize for being rude, TalkStinkDotCom.
                              No problem, I get worse verbage on any given day.

Although I don't think I want to know what you thought you saw in the footage of the monkey washing the kitty.

Back on topic:

As for Bamberger, it's a shame he wasn't considerate enough to report the infraction, but if that's the rules of golf as they play it then it ultimately comes down to the player's understanding of the rules.

The money lost would be a huge issue for me, but then I didn't sign a $10 million dollar endorsement deal the week prior.
                              Oy? Visit these sites why don't you?
                              Talk Stink, Hawaii Media News, Rumors, Gossip & LOST.
                              WIEblog, Where the whole world watches Wie.
                              Hawaii Club Scene, Photos of Hawaii Men and Women out on the Town

Comment

Working...
                              X