Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Winter Olympics Games

hendrick vs davis

in case you have an interest in this showdown, the event is scheduled for tuesday (tomorrow).

i think it's gonna be really intersting.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060220/...N5bnN1YmNhdA--

(on another note, pair figure skating yesterday was pretty impressive. what made it even more interesting is the number of falls. in the case of the italian pair, if looks could kill, the guy would have been dead 20x over! man, she was pissed at the guy for dropping her! note: they were in first place but after the fall, dropped to 6th!)
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
      [...](on another note, pair figure skating yesterday was pretty impressive. what made it even more interesting is the number of falls. in the case of the italian pair, if looks could kill, the guy would have been dead 20x over! man, she was pissed at the guy for dropping her! note: they were in first place but after the fall, dropped to 6th!)
      I think one of the commentators mentioned that stink eye (face to face with direct eye to eye contact) lasted something like 30 seconds before they turned to the crowd for the normal end of routine accolades.

On another figure skating note...I've watched bits and pieces of the skating and was thinking, like I was while watching 'Dancing with the Stars, how much the costumes had changed over the years and how beautiful and sensual they were, esp. when they were designed for the movement of the routine. Then I heard on the news that, over all, the costumes are drawing a lot of ridicule and negative feedback; IOW, over the top. A comparison was made to Peggy Fleming's costumes of over 30 years ago and that those costumes seemed to represent figure skating much better.

Oh well...I'm not the flashy type nor fashion conscious but I do think, under the circumstances, the skating costumes for both male and female are extremely creative and have added greatly to the entire visual effect. But, that's just me! YMMV...

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
        I think one of the commentators mentioned that stink eye (face to face with direct eye to eye contact) lasted something like 30 seconds before they turned to the crowd for the normal end of routine accolades.

On another figure skating note...I've watched bits and pieces of the skating and was thinking, like I was while watching 'Dancing with the Stars, how much the costumes had changed over the years and how beautiful and sensual they were, esp. when they were designed for the movement of the routine. Then I heard on the news that, over all, the costumes are drawing a lot of ridicule and negative feedback; IOW, over the top. A comparison was made to Peggy Fleming's costumes of over 30 years ago and that those costumes seemed to represent figure skating much better.

Oh well...I'm not the flashy type nor fashion conscious but I do think, under the circumstances, the skating costumes for both male and female are extremely creative and have added greatly to the entire visual effect. But, that's just me! YMMV...
        Well, there's a BIIIIIG difference between the costumes being worn by the women ice dancers v. the women figure skaters. The women ice dancers are wearing some pretty risque clothes (bare skin). But then again, they tend to be older than the figure skaters who usually are no more than about 20 years old. I was reading a commentary today that said the ice dancers are all wearing costumes in safety cone orange this year...supposedly to better attract the attention of the judges. The figure skaters will be more conservatively attired when they skate this week.

And the Shani v. Chad huhu is just a reflection of the state of affairs of race relations in this country right now...sad.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          Well, there's a BIIIIIG difference between the costumes being worn by the women ice dancers v. the women figure skaters. The women ice dancers are wearing some pretty risque clothes (bare skin). But then again, they tend to be older than the figure skaters who usually are no more than about 20 years old. I was reading a commentary today that said the ice dancers are all wearing costumes in safety cone orange this year...supposedly to better attract the attention of the judges. The figure skaters will be more conservatively attired when they skate this week.

And the Shani v. Chad huhu is just a reflection of the state of affairs of race relations in this country right now...sad.

Miulang
          Aha! Thanks for the clarification, Miulang. My brain was thinking ice dancers while my fingers were typing figure skaters! Regardless, Peggy Fleming's costumes were held up as the good example against the ice dancers costumes as the bad example.

I saw an interview a few days ago with Shani. It was the first I'd heard of him and so I was taken aback by his negative attitude and aloofness. I forgot who did the interview (one of the NBC news team) but s/he was also caught off guard. Shortly thereafter I heard there was a Shani/Chad feud. I haven't been able to watch much TV so am not aware of the details.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
            While we love the Olympics, winter and summer, we haven't been able to devote as much time to watching them this year as we have in the past. (Though we did enjoy the surprise Italian gold in the 4x10 relay.) So it's only in quick evening news recaps or online discussions like this where I'm getting the highlights.

I missed the above "staredown," but here's a good write-up in the Times. If looks could kill, indeed.

The Shani-Davis thing is ridiculous and sad (and I personally think Davis is ruining an incredible opportunity, if he believes what he says he does about what his success could mean to kids). We're falling short against other nations and we waste calories bickering with each other (or, more directly, obsessing over athletes bickering over each other).

But, it's not a big deal, it's not a worrisome symptom that mankind is doomed or that the Bush administration is failing or proof that we all just can't get along... it's just athletes puffing up and pounding their chests and, to most everyone else, looking pretty silly. For those who need a soap-opera subplot to keep tuning in, though, I guess it works.

Comment

Regarding "falling short," Salt Lake's 34 medals was an aberration. The US had never won more than 13 before in a Winter Games. Last I looked (before today's results) we had 15 so far, with nearly a full week to go.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

man, it was so funny. after all the buildup, neither davis nor hedrick walks away with the gold!

i think the women's free skating will be tomorrow and it looks pretty exciting.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/torino2006

cohen was pretty impressive last night; the big question is whether she'll fall (as she has in the past) when it comes down to the wire....
                525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
                X