Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boating booboo

Originally posted by LikaNui
    "A 65-year-old man was arrested on various felony charges last night after he allegedly crashed the car he was driving into a parked car on Ala Moana Boulevard, then crashed an 81-foot power boat into several moored vessels in the Ala Wai Small Boat Harbor while trying to elude police."
    Full story at this link. What an idiot.
    Okay, much better story and info here in today's paper.
    (Kimo, you related to the Browning brothers or what? )

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Sailing video

"The stage is set for the final act of the 2006 America's Cup competition
      season, Valencia Louis Vuitton Act 12, which begins on Thursday. At stake is
      the 2006 America's Cup Class season championship, along with Louis Vuitton
      Ranking points for the challengers.
      "OLN will broadcast coverage of the Louis Vuitton ACT 12 regatta with t2p.tv’s Tucker Thompson.
      Five shows will cover the racing action in Valencia at the following times:

Friday, June 30 -- 4:30 * 5:00 PM
      Saturday, July 1 -- 11:00 * 11:30 AM
      Saturday, July 1 -- 4:30 * 5:00 PM
      Sunday, July 2 -- 4:30 * 5:00 PM
      Monday July 3 -- 4:30 * 5:00 PM

And on a different item, check out the 4-minute video of ice sailing at this link.

Comment

Re: Sailing photos

3 pages of very good photos from the recent Long Beach Race Week are at this link.

Then see photos from the Sunfish North American Championship in Texas at this link and especially check out the first photo with 62 boats at the starting line!
        Tough job for the Race Committee boat if one of the Sunfish in the middle of that line is over early.

Comment

NEW WORLD RECORD:
          752 miles in just 24 hours -- that’s the headline to the incredible
          start Bruno Peyron has had on the maxi catamaran Orange II as he and his
          crew attempt to break Steve Fossett’s transatlantic record. That comes
          to mind-blowing average speed of 31.3 knots. Peyron and his crew are now 123 miles ahead of the pace set by Fossett in 2001. Peyron reports that
          since the start, there has been strong wind averaging more than 31
          knots, fog and flat calm seas.
          Photos of this huuuuuuge catamaran are at this link.

Also...
          Voyage to the Edge, a one hour recap of the 2005-2006 Volvo Ocean Race
          Round the World, will air on ESPN2 on Thursday, July 6, at 3PM. The show,
          produced and narrated by Gary Jobson, written by Roger Vaughan, features
          American skipper Paul Cayard, who won this race in 1998. He engineered
          an amazing comeback with Pirates of the Caribbean, taking second overall
          after sitting out Leg 1 with damage to his boat.

Comment

During a major storm that slammed the coast of southern California in January 2006, a Rhodes 33 yacht, with its anchors dragging, drifted dangerously toward the jetty outside Newport Beach harbor. The Harbor Patrol was on the scene, but high winds and waves drove them off. Minutes later the unmanned yacht was swamped and later sank in seconds. In less than an hour it was in pieces on the shore.
            What a sad end for a classic beauty.

In other news... the Pacific Cup race from San Francisco to Kaneohe is underway. Info and position tracking at http://www.pacificcup.org/ .
            Also, the singlehand race from San Francisco to Hanalei Bay is underway, and you can follow that one at http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/tra...006/index.html .

Comment

There's a great 3-minute video here of some foil-assisted Moth boats. Wickedly fast! I want one.

Comment

Reviving this thread because I just found a terrific video (1:14 long) of a 60-foot foil trimaran towing two wakeboarders; video was taken from a helicopter.
                Sailor or not, you'll enjoy this one.

Comment

WOW that was pretty cool! I emailed it to my brother, thanks
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Here's an amazing 39-second video of a sailboat getting smashed by a large high-speed ferry boat in Australia's Sydney Harbor.
                    I hope the ferry captain got fired instantly, since the sailboat clearly had the right of way. Ferry captain should've been arrested for "assault with a deadly weapon", "reckless endangerment", "failure to render aid", and a handful of other charges.

Comment

I own the DVD that footage is found on.

What isn't totally clear in this excerpt is that the collision occured during a race, the rest of the fleet had already jibed away from the ferry because it was clearly in a narrow channel that restricted its manuevability and, to make matters worse, there was other ship traffic in the channel further limiting the captains options. That particular skiff was the only boat with an American crew (i.e. less familiar with the venue), and they tried to push their luck and failed. Skiff sailing is a professional sport down there, and the three guys on that boat had already bailed out when it became clear they were going to be hit. Their sponsor is out of a boat, but the three sailors walk away with a good story and a bitchin video.

So, does it suck that the skiff got destroyed? Sure. But it's akin to a person in a factory works sportscar darting out in front of a fully loaded school bus.

By the way, I have a 14-foot skiff, and the rest of that DVD is INSANE.
                      Last edited by poinographer; December 15, 2006, 03:00 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer View Post
                        What isn't totally clear in this excerpt is that the collision occured during a race, the rest of the fleet had already jibed away from the ferry because it was clearly in a narrow channel that restricted its manuevability and, to make matters worse, there was other ship traffic in the channel further limiting the captains options.
                        But the ferry was under power, so the sailboat had more "restricted manuverability" than the ferry, and therefore had the right of way, if I recall correctly. (Way too many racing sailboats take advantage of that and cause some dangerous near misses, though.) The ferry could/should have throttled back until the sailboat was clear.
                        But still, the video proves the ultimate right-of-way rule: The BIG boat has the right of way.

Comment

I'm sure the sailors didn't press the issue. ;P

A ferry moving that fast does not simply stop on a dime, especially with a load of passengers who would have been thrown off their feet had the ferry went into full reverse...

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer View Post
                            I'm sure the sailors didn't press the issue. ;P
                            Indeed.

A ferry moving that fast does not simply stop on a dime, especially with a load of passengers who would have been thrown off their feet had the ferry went into full reverse.
                            Well, it could've stopped alot faster than a fully loaded tanker or container ship, who figure 5 to 10 miles to come to an emergency stop, and at that there'd be damage to the engines and trannies. They also have a blind spot up to 1/4-mile off their bow, too. But the ferry is far more responsive, plus the person(s) on watch should've seen the sailboat(s) long before they even got close, taken bearings to determine course, and eased back the throttles or sped up to get clear. It's not like the sailboat flew up on them at 30 or 40 knots, yeah? They were doing maybe 6 knots.
                            But you know what they say, Doug -- life's a reach, and then you gybe.

Comment

Here's a 45-second video of the giant catamaran "Playstation" hauling a** in some large waves, even with a double reef in the main. Wow!

Comment

Thanks for that link. Imagine trying to cook, eat, rest (forget sleeping) or use the toilet while the boat was in that state...

I did a TransPac on a boat where one of my crewmates was Jacques Vincent, who was part of the Playstation sailing program back in the day. His next gig is that doublehanded non-stop circumnav race (the name of which escapes me).

Comment

Working...
                                X