Rainbow Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rainbow Stadium

Aloha Stadium will be moving into football configuration for possibly the final time next Tuesday, August 8. After that, it will apparently stay that way and not be moved back to baseball.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      Don't forget Joe Rose and Les Keiter.
      Craig, my Islanders site (linked above) has a page for radio, and it mentions Keiter, but who the heck is Joe Rose? If I'm missing someone who did Islander games I'd like to correct it. Can you provide more info?

Thanks.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
        but who the heck is Joe Rose? If I'm missing someone who did Islander games I'd like to correct it.
        who is joe rose?
        where you been?!
        mainland?

ok, we dig out a lil for you.

But no more.

http://www.tv.com/joe-rose/person/31521/summary.html

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          who is joe rose?
          where you been?!
          mainland?

ok, we dig out a lil for you.

But no more.

http://www.tv.com/joe-rose/person/31521/summary.html
          Piffle. I want real people, not "played-one-on-tv" people.

I guess I never watched enough 5-0.

Comment

Piffle. I want real people, not "played-one-on-tv" people.

I guess I never watched enough 5-0.
            one is now reminded of an old saw...
            “Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and trod upon you also”

Comment

Joe Rose did play by play recreates on KGU going way back even before Al Michaels. He and The General Keiter worked together during the heydays of the Hawaii Islanders in the PCL (Pacific Coast League).

Later Joe did the recreates for MLB on KGU. I used to run the board during those recreates with Kim Kanoa running back and forth getting stats from the UPI wire service and watching the TV feed. Joe had this hollowed out block of wood and a two sided hammer. One side with a wad of masking tape and the other bare metal. When the batter hit a line drive or a foul tip he'd use the masking tape side for a muffled pop up sound. A base hit to second or a pop up deep into center field or a home run used the bare metal side on the wooden block.

I ran the crowd loop carts from low crowd murmers to ambient crowd cheering to full on cheering. Going into breaks I ran the MLB theme music.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Joe Rose did play by play recreates on KGU going way back even before Al Michaels. He and The General Keiter worked together during the heydays of the Hawaii Islanders in the PCL (Pacific Coast League).

Later Joe did the recreates for MLB on KGU. I used to run the board during those recreates with Kim Kanoa running back and forth getting stats from the UPI wire service and watching the TV feed. Joe had this hollowed out block of wood and a two sided hammer. One side with a wad of masking tape and the other bare metal. When the batter hit a line drive or a foul tip he'd use the masking tape side for a muffled pop up sound. A base hit to second or a pop up deep into center field or a home run used the bare metal side on the wooden block.

I ran the crowd loop carts from low crowd murmers to ambient crowd cheering to full on cheering. Going into breaks I ran the MLB theme music.
                Boy, I sure don't remember his name at all. 'Course, I didn't start listening to Islanders games till 1978, when it seems to me it was all Keiter and later Alan Elconin. Hmm. I wonder if Mel has him listed in the Hawai'i Radio/TV files.

(later): Nope, Mel doesn't have anything about him. Darn. I'd really like to get as much info as I can on that Islanders radio page.
                Last edited by Linkmeister; August 6, 2006, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Boy, I sure don't remember his name at all.
                  wel, then he must not be a real people.

Comment

wel, then he must not be a real people.
                    From all I could tell from the link you posted, the guy was an actor, not a radio guy moonlighting as an actor.

Comment

I remember Joe Rose doing play-by-play recreates from the 60's, mostly major league games on KGU. I don't think he did Islander games, though.

Comment

From all I could tell from the link you posted, the guy was an actor, not a radio guy moonlighting as an actor.
                        well, since I am the source of all knowledge, with my links I post here, then he can't be anything else.
                        'tho IF...you were to talk with Joe back in the day, he would be happy enough with his H50 checks to admit he were moonlighting as a radio guy.

Comment

For the uninitiated, Rainbow Stadium is an old generic term for Les Murakami Stadium on UH-Mānoa’s lower campus, before it had an official name. Kind of like the Special Events Arena before they named it Stan Sheriff Center. Honolulu Stadium was an old stadium with a storied history that they tore down and built a park on in Mo‘ili‘ili on King Street and Isenburg. And Aloha Stadium is the 50,000 seat “rust bucket” in Halawa where they hold a swap meet, state fair, and other periodic events in the parking lot.

Just in case anyone reading this is a malahini or just confused.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

well, since I am the source of all knowledge, with my links I post here, then he can't be anything else.
                            'tho IF...you were to talk with Joe back in the day, he would be happy enough with his H50 checks to admit he were moonlighting as a radio guy.

Joe Rose was a well-respected man (he died in the 90's) in radio. There are a few local radio announcers that never had their fame locked away in Google but they're out there. He was a wealth of knowledge on the early days of professional baseball in Hawaii. He once told me there was a professional league before the Islanders, something about the merchant marines (I can't remember the exact link).

Anybody who has worked at KGU back in the 80's will remember Joe. And yes I do believe he did a stint with Hawaii Five-0 as a stadium announcer but that wasn't his profession.

While at KGU he also did a weekly radio commentary called, "Kaleidoscope" which covered of all things, politics.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

J And yes I do believe he did a stint with Hawaii Five-0 as a stadium announcer but that wasn't his profession.
                              he actually had quite a few 'guest appearances' on h50. as did Bob Sevey. J. Moore. Tindall, etc....

Comment

Speaking of radio and Hawaii Islanders, the highest-attended Islanders game on July 4th in 1977 was due not only to fireworks but also the the K59 Islanders jackets that were being given out that night. General Admission prices were $1.00, and my shrewd mother entered and exited a few times, paying the dollar entry fee and we went home with a load of the yellow K59 jackets. A lot of people did the same, so it's safe to assume the attendance numbers were slightly inflated.

It was the first time I had seen anyone sit in the outfield bleachers at Aloha Stadium because of the large crowd. And if memeory serves, the game was punctuated with a bang by Adrian Garrett's grand slam, the first time my young eyes had ever seen such a feat.

Nothing like spending summer nights at Islanders games, eating S&S saimin for dinner, then patrolling the bleachers up the baselines, and almost always going home with foul ball souvenirs.

Oh, and to stay somewhat on topic, I remember going to see the Derek Tatsuno-led Rainbows at Rainbow Stadium and its aluminum bleachers. I seem to recall Tatsuno-mania being so big that a game was moved to Aloha Stadium. anyone remember this?

Comment

Working...
                                X