X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Monday Afternoon Football

Originally posted by timkona
    I did not see a listing for the replay of the game.....and I looked

I have called ESPN in New York AND Connecticut....also ABC New York and any other telephone number I could find.

We gotta get the replay at 7pm....who can watch a game at 2 in the afternoon....we all gotta work for a livin !!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videocassette_recorder

Comment

I have always liked Mike Tirico, and have grown to like Joe Theismann. Kornheiser's role in the booth is not to be the football expert, but to be an advocate for the fan who's not a die-hard sports-geek, much the same way Howard Cosell was on the old MNF. That's why, going into the second half, when Theismann said something about a silent count, Kornheiser suggested that when there was a moment, Theismann explain to the audience what a silent count is. Kornheiser's there to keep things interesting and meaningful for the casual fan. I kinda liked him, but I have always felt that three people in a booth is one person too many.
      Last edited by scrivener; August 15, 2006, 01:57 PM. Reason: "how long 'til my soul gets it right?"
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
        I did not see a listing for the replay of the game.....and I looked

I have called ESPN in New York AND Connecticut....also ABC New York and any other telephone number I could find.

We gotta get the replay at 7pm....who can watch a game at 2 in the afternoon....we all gotta work for a livin !!
        Are you on Oceanic Cable or on Jones? Oceanic rebroadcast it (in full, too; no editing, as far as I noticed).
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          Having Tony Kornheiser add color on NFL football is like having Roseann take Alton Brown's place on "Iron Chef:America"!
          Having a nationally-recognized sports columnist do color commentary for a sporting event isn't that far-fetched of an idea... moreso when you consider that they brought in a stand-up comic to do the job a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
            Having a nationally-recognized sports columnist do color commentary for a sporting event isn't that far-fetched of an idea... moreso when you consider that they brought in a stand-up comic to do the job a few years back.
            Even Dennis Miller wasn't as big a leap as Howard Cosell was back in the early days. The guy was an opinionated loudmouthed lawyer with very little sports background, as I recall. And Cosell lasted about 15 years, give or take.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              Having Tony Kornheiser add color on NFL football is like having Roseann take Alton Brown's place on "Iron Chef:America"!

Miulang
              Hey !!! I liked (still like) Roseann !!! Such a gorgeous lady. I'd bet she'd be great on "Good Eats." Naah, maybe not. Nobody would buy her telling us some scientific mumbo-jumbo.

On topic, Kornheiser, like Cosell / Miller, will add a little sumpin that maybe Theismann, being sensitive to fellow athletes, wouldn't (or couldn't) say.

I heard / read somewhere about when Art Shell's qualification for re-upping with the Raiders came up; Kornheiser made the obviously sensitive statement about no other team wanting him. After all, no one hired him after he was fired by Al Davis !!!

Palama Kid
              Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid
                After all, no one hired him after he was fired by Al Davis !!!
                Despite a .581 winning percentage over three seasons.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Establishments that used to show the satellite broadcast of Monday Night Football will be losing money.

Comment

I don't think so. "Establishments" that showed those games were getting the just-off-work crowds (or the snuck-away-early crowds). These people are not going to go home to watch a game alone when they've been going to the same establishments to watch the games and make wagers with the same people for years. There are a lot of these places in my neighborhood (ah, Kalihi!) and I'm interested in seeing if the parking lots are full again on Monday afternoons. I'd bet they will be.
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                      I don't think so. "Establishments" that showed those games were getting the just-off-work crowds (or the snuck-away-early crowds). These people are not going to go home to watch a game alone when they've been going to the same establishments to watch the games and make wagers with the same people for years. There are a lot of these places in my neighborhood (ah, Kalihi!) and I'm interested in seeing if the parking lots are full again on Monday afternoons. I'd bet they will be.
                      I was one of those guys that went to those establishments after work making wagers on MNF.

Comment

Working...
                      X