Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Punahou in Seattle

Originally posted by pzarquon
    How exactly did Punahou come to be scheduled to play against Eastlake? Is it just there are lots of Punahou alums at Eastlake (versus Prosser or Auburn) or in the area? I gather this Emerald City Kickoff Classic is a regional tradition... but Punahou's invite is purely an exhibition-type attraction, right? That is, one big party, so it's not like a Hawaii school is going to try and "win" a Washington school sports tournament?
    You are correct in that it is only an invitational exhibition game, but it is a prestigious one for top high-school teams. There are a lot of Punahou grads in the area (as there are for just about all Hawai`i schools), so when the football team was invited, the Alumni association decided to also set up a lu`au and volleyball game. When folks from Hawai`i throw a party, they don't skimp.

Comment

Thank you, Leo, for answering the question. I wasn't familiar with the event's prominence in area sports or why it was significant to Punahou or high-school sports fans in particular. Wish I could be there!

Comment

I'm amazed no one has picked up on the fact that Punahous Girls VOLLEYBALL team will also be there playing in the "Emerald City Volleyball Invitational"
        At the same time! (less yet to be played at EastLake Highschool)

http://www.eckclassic.com/eckc/ECVI.pdf

Comment

Well, I did mention "volleyball" in two previous posts in this thread - but I didn't follow up with any details that it was the Punahou girls' team.

One of our best-known Punahou grads in Seattle is Gail Stringer, owner of the top Hawaiian gift shop in the Seattle area, the Hawai`i General Store. She's also one of the radio show hosts (and is the mother of twins.)

Comment

Leo... if and when you get the results... could you post them please if you have the chance?

and I'm also interested in the other games too (can pm me those...don't think that will excite too many here)

I guess the Football game is just a one gamer and the volleyball is more tournament style....

Mahalo
            Manoa

Comment

Dang... I wonder how vacant Punahou might be toomorow?
              With all the parents and family members of the players... Cheerleaders...boosters and their kids...Faculty and kids.... Alumni and kids.... etc...

Less yet both sports...Football and Volleyball!

I bet punahou like a ghost campus toomorow!

The mana is going to be strong in the northwest for a few days.

Comment

Punahou wahine volleyball - Punahou ruled! Results at
                http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._ringer02.html

Comment

Congrat's Punahou Girls Volleyball...

I figured they would take it... Volleyball is not nearly as popular in Washington as other sports...

In fact... do they even have a guys state tournament for Volleyball?

My school had close to 1500 people and no Mens Volleyball team.

Comment

Congratulations Punahou Volleyball Girls!

"Punahou players raved about the treatment they received from host Eastlake, which threw a barbecue Thursday for the volleyball and football entourage, which included nearly 200 people."

"Eastlake has been really great hosts to us," senior Larissa Nordyke.

"They really took care of us," Kaaihue added."

And they also said how they were treated well by their hosts! Wow! they represented Punahou and Hawai'i Proud.

Tonight the young men will play Football. Win or lose they're all winners in a city where Aloha is shared and is a given as in Hawai'i!

Mahalo Leo Lakio for the Link.

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

It was close.............

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...STLAKE+punahou
                      You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Congrats Punahou -

Eastlake is a very respected and "feared" football powerhouse in Washington...

Sounds like you quieted the crowd early and kept on top of them most of the game...

Hope you guys had fun up there too.

Comment

Working...
                        X