Warriors: Hawaii vs. Idaho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Warriors: Hawaii vs. Idaho

I wonder how many people would have taken the points if bookmakers had been giving Idaho 40 points. Seems like the 72-point over/under was right on. I would have taken the under.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I got to meet Cezanne and his friends. Thanks for the ticket.

Opening kickoff return of 100 yards for a UH TD. TEN TDs scored. There was a lot of "high-fiving" going on in our section. The night was a WINNAH!

Comment

Yup great game! OP you're great football company and, not to forget, a walking UH sports trivia machine lol.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post

With Oregon State beating USC today... it sure makes for an interesting last game of the season for UH!

Would UH Turn down the "Hawaii Bowl" to go to a different more prestigious bowl if offered?
          What would really be nice, at least to me, would be if the UH/OSU game could be played at an earlier time to accomodate an national audience. I'm under the perception, if ESPN thinks the game is of enough national interest, that the starting time could be moved back to eariler in the afternoon. I'll be going to that game, but I have to say, that I will be dragging myself to the TheBus Express to the Windward Side, after the game, as I usually do after those typical late season non-conference shoot-outs are over at Aloha Stadium, if the game goes off as currently planned at 6:05PM. As I will have arrived from the East Coast the day before, I'll still be on East Coast time...those 10PM finishes feel like 3AM to me. By the time I get back to Kailua, it feels like 4:30AM to my internal clock...just about the time I normally awake here.

About UH going to a bigger bowl: Isn't UH contractually obligated to play in the Hawaii Bowl even if they simply become bowl eligible? Isn't the only way UH can "get out" of the Hawaii Bowl is if they become eligible for a BCS bowl game? Let's face it, the Hawaii Bowl just wouldn't make it financially if the football fans of Hawaii were going to get say, a UCF-Nevada match-up, while the Bows were off playing in a bigger pay-out bowl. Seems to me that the Hawaii Bowl is always a big bust if the Bows aren't in it. The WAC-CUSA match-ups that play-out when UH isn't in the Hawaii Bowl simply aren't attractive to most football fans anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
            Isn't UH contractually obligated to play in the Hawaii Bowl even if they simply become bowl eligible?
            Apparently not. If you believe Wikipedia, that rule was retracted in 2005.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              Apparently not. If you believe Wikipedia, that rule was retracted in 2005.
              What was retracted was the "guarantee" that UH automatically gets a bid if they are bowl-eligible. That provision was in effect only for the first three years of the bowl (2002-04). The bowl was NOT precluded from inviting UH in future years, however.

The effect of NOT having UH in the bowl was evident in 2005 when UH finished 5-7 and was not bowl-eligible. The game was poorly-attended, even with a Hawaii-grown star on Nevada playing.

The WAC-CUSA tie-in is generally not regarded as an attractive one. The truth is the Hawaii Bowl's survival is dependent on UH's participation. At present, the Hawaii Bowl does not have the latitude of inviting the "best" available teams from the national landscape as the Jeep Eagle Aloha Bowl did in their early years. The Aloha Bowl line-up included UCLA, Notre Dame, Washington, Michigan State, Kansas State, Maryland, etc.

The WAC has tie-ins with the three bowls in Honolulu, Boise, and New Mexico. The two top finishers are guaranteed bowl appearances among these three. Unless an invitation to a BCS bowl is forthcoming, Boise State and Hawaii will be placed in their home bowl games. Or, as with the situation with Boise State and the Liberty Bowl, a "trade" is arranged.

Comment

game was awsome

The defense put the hurt on the Vandals and the offense was it's usual dominant self.

Comment

With all of us that did go to the game....

We should try a tailgate for the OSU game...

Maybe Surfingfarmboy's get together before the game since he's coming across the country!

Comment

I would definitely make it to one of these HT get together things.

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                    With all of us that did go to the game....

We should try a tailgate for the OSU game...

Maybe Surfingfarmboy's get together before the game since he's coming across the country!

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                      I would definitely make it to one of these HT get together things.
                      That would be neat if all of the HTers attending UH football games could at least hui for even a small amount of time before the game. It's evident that many in the HT community attend Warrior games at Halawa, and as such, it would be a good opportunity, for those interested anyway, in meeting up in person. I myself do hope to meet some of you at the OSU game.

Comment

Working...
                      X