Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colt Brennan

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
    I'd bet he's stayin... what do you think, PZ? wanna settle this over Paypal?
    Saved some money there, Mike.

After postponing his announcement twice, I was pretty sure he wasn't going pro. If you're going to make that step, you're going to know. Decisiveness is one of those personal qualities you'll want to have well planted before trying to join the NFL.

Good for him, and good for Hawaii. Hope next season is even better than this last one.

Comment

He's staying for senior year!!!!
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
        He's staying for senior year!!!!
        Yippeeeeeee!

Quarterback Brennan will return for senior season

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...720185934.html

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

It's about time one of these kids made the right decision. I guess us fans can be grateful that he's friends with Matt Leinart.
          Don't be mean,
          try to help.

Comment

Leinert went from a 1st round lock to an 11th pick. I think I talked about this somewhere else.

Betcha it cost him a small fortune. (or a large one by my standards)
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
              Leinert went from a 1st round lock to an 11th pick. I think I talked about this somewhere else.

Betcha it cost him a small fortune. (or a large one by my standards)
              If you mean a 1st overall lock, I think Vince Young or Reggie Bush woulda been more of a lock for 1st overall--but Houston surprised everyone by not selecting any of the three.

I think things worked out good for Arizona and Leinart. He has the most explosive receiving corps in the NFC, a good tailback in Edge, but he needs a better OL to protect him and open holes for Edge.

Back to thread topic: I'm glad that Brennan came back to potentially vault UH into the top 20 or even 15 next year. But still...Go Bruins!
              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                Saved some money there, Mike.

After postponing his announcement twice, I was pretty sure he wasn't going pro. If you're going to make that step, you're going to know. Decisiveness is one of those personal qualities you'll want to have well planted before trying to join the NFL.
                And especially if you're a quarterback, where split-second decisions are part of the job description.
                http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Originally posted by Keith H. View Post
                  And especially if you're a quarterback, where split-second decisions are part of the job description.
                  I don't think he has a problem there. Apples and oranges if you're comparing doing three to four check downs before releasing the ball in less than 3 seconds to making a calculated decision that could impact the rest of his and his family's life.

I honestly thought he was gonna go pro. Especially when the lady announced before the pc that he needs to leave in 20 minutes. Then he started talking about the oppurtunity to go pro in the past tense, I was like "woohoo he's staying!" . Turns out he needed to get to a class.

Comment

I'm certain there's a lot more to the story than the warm, fuzzy, "I owe these guys!" story. The twice-postponed press conference suggests a lot was going on behind the scenes that wasn't just personal soul-searching on Brennan's part.

I suspect he was casting about for representation, or some sort of assurance as to his prospects in the NFL, tracking especially what other underclassmen decided to go pro versus finishing their senior year. Not getting the guarantees he wanted, he decided to stay. That is, he would have gone pro, but stayed behind for more for practical reasons than the sentimental ones presented to the press.

Soundbite or not, though, I agree that his sticking around is good both for UH and for him. Perhaps this next season could go badly, but it could also give him a chance to really impress the world.

Comment

Colt's biggest risk in staying at UH would be if he suffers some kind of career-ending injury.
                      Also, I question June Jones' comment that Colt gave up $25 million. There's no possible way that a rookie would make that in their very first year. Over the term of a multi-year contract, maybe. But just missing one year of pro ball? Sure not worth $25 million. I wish one of our sports reporters had asked Jones to clarify that statement.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Signing bonus ... which is gauranteed money.
                        just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          Colt's biggest risk in staying at UH would be if he suffers some kind of career-ending injury.
                          Also, I question June Jones' comment that Colt gave up $25 million. There's no possible way that a rookie would make that in their very first year. Over the term of a multi-year contract, maybe. But just missing one year of pro ball? Sure not worth $25 million. I wish one of our sports reporters had asked Jones to clarify that statement.
                          haha, me too...but then again, JJ has been known to over-exaggerate the abilities of his players. I remember when Isaac Sopoaga was heading into the NFL draft, he remarked that Sopoaga is the most athletic player he's ever coached, citing his ability to dunk a basketball doing a 360 from the freethrow line. (In case you're not familiar, very rarely do we find a basketball player that can dunk from the freethrow line with a running start sans the 360).
                          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

It's definitely multi-year. The same article quoted Matt Leinart's deal at $51M over the contract period as the 10th-pick of the first round. So, at a possible 20th-pick of round one, $25M is not out of the question.

I believe that Jones was quite clear. We'd have to question how his answer may have been edited.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                              JJ has been known to over-exaggerate the abilities of his players.
                              Ya mean like when he claimed for 2 years that Timmy Chang was guaranteed to win the Heisman Trophy? Sorry, June. Wasn't gonna happen.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Ya mean like when he claimed for 2 years that Timmy Chang was guaranteed to win the Heisman Trophy? Sorry, June. Wasn't gonna happen.
                                I don't remember JJ making such a bold guarantee. But I did a little googling and found this quote at http://uhathletics.hawaii.edu/tcforheisman.html :
                                "I see his ability to anticipate, I see his vision, and I see his release, which is Dan Marino-like, to be major pluses. He has some skills you just can't coach and other quarterbacks just can't do. I think he has a real shot at breaking the NCAA single-season and career passing records. He is working in the weight room and spending endless hours throwing. He's doing all the things the great ones do and taking all the right steps to be one of the best quarterbacks in the nation. He could do it this year, but barring injury I guarantee you he'll have a great shot at winning the Heisman Trophy his senior year."

Hawai'i Head Coach - June Jones

FWIW................

Comment

Working...
                                X