Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UH Warrior vs. LA Tech

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
    Not likely to lose position in the next poll. Several other teams above UH lost today. A win is a win, no matter how thin, and is infinitely better than a so-called "GOOD LOSS."
    I guess you don't carefully look at how the polls operate. One can't even count the number of times a team achieving a "W" dropped when it was by a close margin to a team that is considered mediocre. Look at what happened to Texas last week. They started off #4 in both the media and coaches poll. The Horns then opened the season with a less-than-scintillating 21-13 victory over Arkansas St., and then DROPPED 3 spots.

So much for "win is a win."

A 1 point win in OT over a team that is coming off a last place finish in the WAC isn't going to impress the voters. If UH can hang on to their present spot, they will be very fortunate. But realistically, it ain't gonna happen.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

We all know UH has a great offense but it looks like the defense was exposed as a major weak spot. They gave up a lot of points to a 28 point underdog.

Comment

I agree with Scrivener ... Coach Dooley knew that he would have to match UH point for point so why not try to go for it early. I thought they would try to run the ball instead of pass it. In the 3rd OT, you have to go for two which is probably how Fresno State lost by 2 ... they didn't make it.

Usually though at home you try to play for the safer play. I thought La Tech would milk the clock in the 4th quarter.

Our WRs looked like they had a lot of speed near the end of the game. They could be better conditioned than the other team.
        just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

From The Honolulu Advertiser (Sep. 9, 2007: http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/p...plate=UHsports)

GOING FOR 2 WAS RIGHT

Jones said he understood Dooley's reasoning for going for two points — and the victory — in overtime instead of kicking the extra point.

"I think he made the right decision," Jones said. "He was at home, they didn't have much luck stopping us and they felt like it was their best chance to win it right there. To go 25 yards on offense (in overtime), I think the advantage would be ours."

Jones said "I play for ties at home and go for the win on the road; that's what I would do."
          LOL @ this. Jones and his big ego again. From what I saw, LA Tech went blow-for-blow with UH, so that was the reason for going for 2.
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

ANY win on the road for UH is sweet...I will TAKE it!

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
              Our WRs looked like they had a lot of speed near the end of the game. They could be better conditioned than the other team.
              I got a good laugh when the announcers said that the Warriors weren't used to playing in heat and humidity. Apparently the announcers have never been to Hawai`i.
              And those same announcers kept calling our team the Rainbow Warriors and sometimes just the Rainbows. Not sure if the announcers belonged to LT or to ESPN+, but.
              And I respectfully still say that the 2-point conversion was the wrong choice. LT had already proven that they were almost our equals, at least for last night, and LT had led the game most of the way and didn't seem to have much problem scoring on us. So kicking the point and going into a second OT would've given them a better chance at a win, in my humble opinion.
              However, I'm glad they made the wrong choice and handed us the win!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

We dropped four spots in the AP poll but stayed the same in the Coaches Poll.
                You can go to this link and see more of this about the AP poll:
                The University of Hawai'i football team dropped four spots to No. 24 in today's Associated Press poll.
                To view the poll, click here.
                And you can go to this link and see more about the Coaches Poll, including this:
                The University of Hawai'i football team remained No. 22 in the USA Today Top 25 Coaches Poll, released today.
                (...)
                Clemson (No. 20) and Oregon (No. 21) debuted in the poll ahead of the Warriors (2-0).
                USA Today's Coaches Poll Top 25 is at this link.
                Oh, and in my comments about the announcers in the post above, I forgot to ask if anyone heard them calling Lanai as "the garden island."
                Oops on them.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  We dropped four spots in the AP poll but stayed the same in the Coaches Poll.
                  You can go to this link and see more of this about the AP poll:

And you can go to this link and see more about the Coaches Poll, including this:
                  Well, I was partly right. UH did manage to hold its place in the coaches poll, but they weren't in the top 20 in that ranking. (They were #22.) I think the Warriors will be out of the top 20 and somewhere between the #21-25 niche in most rankings this week.

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  Oh, and in my comments about the announcers in the post above, I forgot to ask if anyone heard them calling Lanai as "the garden island."
                  Oops on them.
                  Ah, if so, then give them a break. There are locals here who still refer to Lana'i as the pineapple isle rather than the secluded isle.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    Ah, if so, then give them a break. There are locals here who still refer to Lana'i as the pineapple isle rather than the secluded isle.
                    Isn't either one acceptable?

Staying on topic--Looks like Hawaii is too slow to stop lateral runs. They'll have problems against Boise State and Fresno State, but could win. Washington looks like a L already.

flickr

Comment

The Lanai HS teams (boys) are the PINE-LADS.

Nothing really wrong with the UH passing game: 43-61 passing (70.5% completion pct.); 548 yards; 4 TDs; three receivers with 100+ yards. It was the defense that couldn't stop the LA Tech running game. Although the defense came through when it counted.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                        Isn't either one acceptable?
                        You do know that the pineapple industry in Lana'i has been dead for the last 15 years, right? The "Pineapple Isle" nickname is quite outdated, to put it mildly.

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                        Staying on topic--Looks like Hawaii is too slow to stop lateral runs. They'll have problems against Boise State and Fresno State, but could win. Washington looks like a L already.
                        Boise? UDub? UH can't afford to worry about them now! They're going to have their hands full next week against UNLV. The Rebs nearly pulled off an upset over Wisconsin. If UH thinks they can just show up at Sam Boyd Stadium, they got another think coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          You do know that the pineapple industry in Lana'i has been dead for the last 15 years, right? The "Pineapple Isle" nickname is quite outdated, to put it mildly.
                          And Oklahoma's still the Sooner State because people are sneaking to get a head start on the land grab.

I think UNLV should be no problem, as long as JJ wouldn't be so stubborn in sticking to his passing game. UH still loses 2 or 3 games tho.
                          Last edited by Mike_Lowery; September 9, 2007, 02:53 PM.

flickr

Comment

Take a look at today's (Sunday) Advertiser. Check out the photo on the very front page, and the same photo appears on the front of the Sports section in a larger size.
                            The photo shows UH offensive tackle Aaron Kia celebrating after the win. He's right in the face of an LT player. Check out his right hand.
                            It took me a little while to be sure which finger he was using. Funny photo.
                            Last edited by LikaNui; March 9, 2008, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Good call , bad play. Looked like the QB tried to audible or call time when he saw the blitz coming but the center snapped the ball.

Go Warriors!

Comment

Working...
                              X