Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [UH Warrior] This is Haka, err Ha'a Nation

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
    I hope you WILL grab that rock and spear, bash skulls and toss the Unworthy off the Pali! Figuratively... of course!
    Awww!!!

*throws down rocks and spears*

You guys never let me have some violent fun.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I read this in an NZ paper online this morning... thought you guys would appreciate a little laugh... I think the All Blacks were trying to be diplomatic and not offend their hosts... but a French ballet company doing the haka??? WTF???

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4217374a1823.html
      Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
      My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

haven't clicked on the link yet, but that picture made me rofl...stilettos, bunny huggers and a haka.....uhyeeeaah....

pax

Comment

I'll eat your liver and still look fabulous!

I thought you'd like that one... and I don't know what it is about the French right now (maybe hosting the Rugby World Cup has made them a bit nuts) but check out what Jean Paul Gaultier is using to sell his new fashion line...

Maori have become vogue in Europe, with chic French designer Jean Paul Gaultier's cheeky plundering of the moko to promote his latest collection.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4199820a11215.html

What is hilarious to me is that they're using a "cannibal theme" - slogan of the year... "I'll eat your liver and still look fabulous."
          My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            "The Anacreontic Song," while it has lyrical references to drinking (Bacchus's vine), was not a "drinking song" per se.
            Ah, but the Anacreontic Song's reputation as a drinking song has nothing to do with its lyrics. It was associated with drinking because it was used by British taverns to test sobriety. The idea was that customers suspected of drunkenness could prove themselves fit for another round if they could sing the Anacreontic Song without going off-key. That is why it was known as a drinking song.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: UH Haka

My most recent 'letter to the editor' - as printed in yesterday's Honolulu Advertiser...

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...710010305.html

Posted on: Monday, October 1, 2007
              Letters to the Editor

HA'A

TEAM CONGRATULATED FOR CREATING WAR DANCE

I wrote a letter to the editor of this newspaper last year to express my view of the inappropriate use of a Maori haka by the University of Hawai'i Warrior football team.

I write now to congratulate the Warriors for doing the pono thing and creating their own unique war dance, the ha'a.

What a wonderful example of kuleana they have shown, and what makes it even more special is that the new chant was written and choreographed by three of the current players. I hope it is a legacy that will continue with the team long after these guys have moved on.

I also hope that all the other schools and teams here in Hawai'i and around the world that continue to perform haka that they have no right to, will follow the example of the Warriors and create a chant that is unique to their team.

Louisa Te'i
              Pearl Harbor

Comment

Re: UH Haka

That Ha'a the Warriors chanted at the Louisiana Tech game also caused them to get a penalty for "unsportsmanlike conduct" even before the opening whistle.

HAKA DRAWS PENALTY

UH was assessed a 15-yard unsportsman-like conduct penalty to start the game for doing the haka, Jones said.

The penalty forced UH to kick off from its 15-yard line and helped Tech to open the game at its 44, opening the way for a 56-yard scoring drive on its first series.

The officials, who were not available for comment, can impose such a penalty if they believe an unsportsman-like incident occurred.

UH was on a hill overlooking the field when it performed the haka. "We couldn't do the haka on the field so we came up here (on the hill) to do it and they penalized us for it," Jones said.

There is a WAC advisory not to face the opposing team when doing the haka but no rule against performing it.

UH performed a celebration haka after the game, facing the Hawai'i fans in the stadium.
                Watched a clip of the Warriors doing their new ha'a. That would be enough to intimidate anybody!

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Well, Reggie Torres (Kahuku Red Raiders Coach) tried to make his stand against his team doing the haka... but once again, they pushed him and guess what...

One compromise was allowing the team to perform a haka on the field, facing the home crowd before last week's homecoming game against Farrington.

The Red Raiders won, 27-7, and the game and post-game activities carried on without incident.
                  But now they're boycotting practice... too bad these kids can't just let their football do the talking...

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...ate=PrepSports

Comment

Wow! Just found this on a message board about the "commercialization" of the haka... I don't know what they are aiming for but this was obviously filmed here in Hawai'i (supposed to be NZ maybe?). I don't know what the fireknife dance has to do with the haka has to do with selling Toyotas...

http://www.wat.tv/concours-kamate

Comment

I dunno if it's right or wrong but I Love it!

AWESOME!

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hahaha... glad you liked it! I don't think I need to tell you what my reaction was but hey, each to their own...

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
                          Hahaha... glad you liked it! I don't think I need to tell you what my reaction was but hey, each to their own...
                          I know why you didn't like it.

But foa me...da men were HUNKS!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Naughty Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hahaha... good for you NAUGHTY Auntie!

For me... they looks familiar! Can't think where I've seen them... PCC, UH, some other lu'au? Anyone recognize these guys??

I do like how they mixed in capoeira (Brazilian style Martial arts/dance) with haka - I've never seen THAT combination before... hmmm... interesting...

Comment

[CBS News] Friday Night Lights Meet the Haka

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n3497992.shtml

For some of us, it's old news, but to others, it seems the war dance have made the national news.
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Re: [CBS News] Friday Night Lights Meet the Haka

Originally posted by Random View Post
                                http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n3497992.shtml

For some of us, it's old news, but to others, it seems the war dance have made the national news.
                                I saw that on the news tonight and was looking for the right Haka thread to post it. Then the phone rang...

Comment

Working...
                                X