Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Aloha Air files bankruptcy, again

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
    Hopefully some of the Aloha employees can start over.
    At the bottom of the seniority pile. That's gonna hurt.

Comment

Does anyone know if Aloha's transpacific division was making or losing money? With ATA bowing out, Aloha could have owned Oakland and Santa Ana (Think ATA flew out of Ontario). If AQ's transpacific was making money, they could have simply just folded their interisland ops.

Comment

I had the impression that the transpacfic division was not losing money but the papers were saying that it was.

Comment

The "Friends of Aloha" have apparently paid for a 30-second commercial paying tribute to the veteran island airline. I caught it during tonight's 6 p.m. newscast on KHON. I gotta admit, even though I didn't fly Aloha often, I got a little misty eyed.

Of course, the farewell message was cut from a longer montage put together to celebrate Aloha Airlines' 60th year.

Comment

Thanks for the links, PZ. Nostalgic for me and, yes, misty eyes, too. KGMB has been airing an aloha message to Aloha showing the last day, tears, hugs and sadness. It gets me every time I see it.

Comment

I just read that Hawaiian is now going to launch Honolulu to Oakland flights starting May 1. Tapping into the recently vacated flights by Aloha AND ATA.
              So that makes 3 bay Area airports now. San Francisco, San Jose and now Oakland.

http://sev.prnewswire.com/travel/200...3042008-1.html
              n'importe

Comment

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
                I just read that Hawaiian is now going to launch Honolulu to Oakland flights starting May 1. Tapping into the recently vacated flights by Aloha AND ATA.

Seems to me Hawaiian is the predator now. Aloha is still running farewell commercials and Hawaiian is stripping routes clean off of Aloha's carcass.

Talk about vultures.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post

Wow, in many ways, we are finally seeing the merger of Hawaiian and Aloha without all the baggage of unions and seniority because you know Hawaiian will be hiring quite a few ex-Aloha employees to fuel this expansion. Question is, where will Hawaiian find the extra planes needed? I don't think used 767s are easy to come by just yet since the 787 has been delayed. Will Hawaiian acquire ex-ATA 757s? The 757 shares common cockpit ratings with the 767s so training is minimal. And Hawaiian can essentially take over the ex-Aloha, ex-ATA routes with the lighter pax load markets.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Seems to me Hawaiian is the predator now. Aloha is still running farewell commercials and Hawaiian is stripping routes clean off of Aloha's carcass.

Talk about vultures.
                    Actually I think it's very wise to do so. If you don't, someone else will. And this aggressive expansion will only translate to a better chance for the ex-Aloha employees to get a job in the same field again without leaving the state. So I am fully cheering them on regarding this move. At least HA has a much better mgt team than AQ had.

Comment

If Hawaiian is hiring ex-Aloha pilots to fly the Hawaii-Oakland route they might as well get their 737-700 that flew that route too.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                        If Hawaiian is hiring ex-Aloha pilots to fly the Hawaii-Oakland route they might as well get their 737-700 that flew that route too.
                        That wouldn't be a smart move because the 767 and 737 don't have cockpit commonality, requiring different training. The 757/767 were designed together and intended to have the same cockpit, just one was a narrowbody, the other a widebody. ATA's 757s would be a better target, that is, if no one has dibs on them yet. Used 757s are in hot demand by UPS and FedEx.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                          Actually I think it's very wise to do so. If you don't, someone else will. And this aggressive expansion will only translate to a better chance for the ex-Aloha employees to get a job in the same field again without leaving the state. So I am fully cheering them on regarding this move. At least HA has a much better mgt team than AQ had.
                          I'm wondering if better management will equate to better treatment of Aloha's employees.

The amazing part is how fast it took for Hawaiian to structure flights on those routes vacated by Aloha...as if they all knew it was going to happen and worked in collusion to "stick it" to go!

I was talking to my wife at dinner (and boy dinner was fantastic!) about ATA.

How could an airline lose a contract during a contract and abruptly call it quits because of losing it?

How was their annual budget going along?

You don't simply lose a contract and suddenly revenue disappears in a flash. Revenue takes time to deminish, enough time to let employees and creditors that you will be ceasing operations on a given date in the near future because of financial difficulties (same goes for Aloha).

The timing of ATA and Aloha ending service so abruptly plus the structuring of routes taken from both airlines by Hawaiian reaks of a three-way collusion conspiracy. With Hawaiian recently taking lease on larger jets to accomodate a yet to see route to the Phillipines and suddenly seeing routes appear from not one but TWO island carriers that suddenly without warning shut operations.

SOMETING SNEAKY IS GOING ON HEA and Hawaiian Airlines seems to be the one coming out smelling like a bouquet of roses.

Let me make this wild but bold prediction: HAL stock will rise tremendously and there will definately be millionaires made from ATA/Aloha airlines demise in the very near future. And I'll even venture to assume that Banmiller has HAL stock. With a presumed golden parachute clause and HAL stock he'll come out amazingly wealthy.

That's my prediction.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

It's possible on the collusion theory but I think there's far too many variables to make such a collusion be successfully pulled off. When Aloha folded, ATA could have simply reneged on this collusion plan and taken over Aloha's mainland routes for themselves. ATA had been scaling back flights months before so they were already in hot water themselves. They just probably threw in the towel quickly instead of waiting it out like Aloha did. Now, if we see Banmiller become a Hawaiian employee, then yeah, total conspiracy for sure.

Comment

Down the road Hawaiian is going to have to retrain all of their pilots since they plan to eventually retire the Boeing 767 and move on to the Airbus 330 and later 350 models. Perhaps with this expansion and the possible lack of Boeing airplanes (especially 717s), HA may opt to bring new Airbus's including short range A320s into their fold or something else sooner than later.

According to Boeing's website at least 946 767s have so far been made. If Hawaiian is to acquire any of these, they'd have to be the long range models rated for ETOPS.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Talk about vultures.

Predator? Aloha is already dead. They're just moving into the vacancy. What do you want? Go! to move into the space instead? The faster HA moves in, the less Mesa can make their plan work. Since estimates show that Hawaiian has a lower cost them Go!, it's possible that Hawaiian can give Mesa a taste of their own medicine by pricing low enough that Mesa can't make a profit while Hawaiian can. Clean competition.

Between Aloha and ATA going under, I'd like to see someone else come in, like Virgin. We'll have to see.

The amazing part is how fast it took for Hawaiian to structure flights on those routes vacated by Aloha...as if they all knew it was going to happen and worked in collusion to "stick it" to go!
                                It's been, what, 4 days since the news broke? How long does it take to set up a new route? Maybe it just shows that Hawaiian's management is on the ball. I think the hardiest part is where to find a plane and crew. But maybe there was enough slack in the schedule to fit it in.

How could an airline lose a contract during a contract and abruptly call it quits because of losing it?
                                Yeah, that seems a bit odd. It would be interesting to find out what happened. How could this have taken them by surprise?

You don't simply lose a contract and suddenly revenue disappears in a flash.
                                Why would it take time to diminish? You loose the contract, no more flights, no more revenue. If you can't adjust the costs quickly enough (sell/turn back airplanes and layoff crew) you go under.

As for Aloha, what I've heard is that they were about to get bought out. It was near certain, but fell though. That's why it died so quickly. When you're bleeding money and the bank cuts you off, that's it.

[B]Let me make this wild but bold prediction: HAL stock will rise tremendously
                                Buy stock then.

Comment

Working...
                                X