Got my transmission flushed at Kiyo's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my transmission flushed at Kiyo's

I finally got my transmission flushed. Following some HTer's suggestions, I tried out Kiyo's Transmission Services. Nice guy. He wasn't pushy. His mom does the paperwork, and she's very friendly. IIRC another mechanic was working there.

The job took about 2 hours, which I assume is fairly quick. I walked over to the nearby Bale to eat and read. Kiyo (I assume that's his name) called me when my car was ready.

I'm not experienced enough to judge the work, but so far no problems. No leaking. No strange smells. No worrying sounds. He was thoughtful enough to lay down newspaper on the floorboard, so his shoes wouldn't stain the carpet. Attention to detail like that has to count for something.

Thanks to the folks who recommended him.
    Last edited by MyopicJoe; August 14, 2008, 07:30 AM.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Got my transmission flushed at Kiyo's

Glad you brought this up because I just had a safety inspection and they said that my transmission fluid was dirty and should be flushed. Can you give me an idea as to what price range they charge for the flush? Are appts. required? Thanks!!

Comment

Big fan of Kiyo's. We often go to Lex Brodie's to figure out whether something's wrong, and if it's transmission related, they refer to Kiyo's. Clearly a long-time family business, the facility the very definition of fire hazard, but friendly, straightforward, and reasonable. I don't look forward to the inevitable days when small shops like these are extinct.

Comment

I remember the old (and quite heated, at times) thread that discussed this a while back. Glad to see it's all worked out to your satisfaction, MJoe.

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
          Glad you brought this up because I just had a safety inspection and they said that my transmission fluid was dirty and should be flushed.
          Wow, that was a pretty thorough safety check.

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
            Can you give me an idea as to what price range they charge for the flush? Are appts. required? Thanks!!
            For my particular make/model, it was a bit under $200, after taxes. My car is on the medium to large size, and it was LONG overdue for a flush, so he might have had to clean out some gunk. He replaced the fluid, filter, and gasket. On my old post, craigwatanabe mentioned $100-$200 to be the expected price range (in general, not specifically at Kiyo's).

Kiyo's phone number is on the link I mentioned. You can tell him your make/model, and I'm sure he'll give you an estimate. He's not chatty, but he's friendly.

No appointments needed. It's first come, first serve (I don't know if he does appointments). I stopped by around 7:30AM, when his shop opens. I think he was already working on a car. He took down my cell number and called me back in 2 hours.

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
            Clearly a long-time family business
            His mom is a spunky tutu. Big smile, bright eyes.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            I remember the old (and quite heated, at times) thread that discussed this a while back. Glad to see it's all worked out to your satisfaction, MJoe.
            Thanks, Leo.

Haha yeah, it was rather heated. Get a bunch of guys together to talk shop, and it's bound to happen. Everyone has different experiences, and hence differing opinions.
            Last edited by MyopicJoe; August 15, 2008, 08:22 AM.
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
            "
            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
              Wow, that was a pretty thorough safety check.
              Oops..forgot to mention that I also got an oil change the day I got the safety check.

Comment

Working...
              X