Speed controlled cars for teens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed controlled cars for teens

Well, it was bound to be introduced sooner or later when the technology made it possible. Starting in 2010 Ford Motor Co. will be introducing models that will allow parents to give to their teenager drivers special keys that will activate a speed limiter when the car hits 80 mph. It will also give parents the option to limit the volume on the audio system, as well as a "nag" chime if the seat belts are not buckled.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g...oc8fAD93L513G0

I'm sure that the other auto manufacturers will soon be following suit.

How many people think that this is a good idea?
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Speed controlled cars for teens

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    How many people think that this is a good idea?
    In a perfect world, yeah.

I think there should also be a GPS locator (or lojack) for parents to track the vehicle's whereabout. Also, a panic button in case of emergency, like someone is car-chasing your kid.

Otherwise, stop spoiling your kids when they come to you for car parts. There should be big warning flag in your head -- be it dad or mom -- when they want to install NOS system.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Speed-limited teenagers might be a great way to introduce this nanny-tech, but where do we stop? Special keys handed out by judges to those ticketed for speeding? Breathalyzer key fobs? GPS locator chips or road-mounted transmitters automatically slowing down your car for those 25 mph zones that everyone ignores? Accelerator limiters to avoid wasting gas with jackrabbit starts? Black-box recorders that automatically transmit your last six months of driving data to your insurance company when your policy is up for renewal?

Automatic cameras for speeders and red-light violators? Oh, wait, we already tried that.

I'm still not convinced that air bags are a good idea.

Originally posted by Random View Post
      I think there should also be a GPS locator (or lojack) for parents to track the vehicle's whereabout.
      Our kid thinks we have one of those, which has the same behavior-modification effect as if we'd actually installed one...
      Last edited by Nords; October 12, 2008, 06:01 AM.
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
        Otherwise, stop spoiling your kids when they come to you for car parts. There should be big warning flag in your head -- be it dad or mom -- when they want to install NOS system.
        Don't you know it!

Even with this technology, not every family will opt for it. Hey, if some parents feel that Junior Boy is entitled to a turbo-charged rice rocket with all the trimmings, it wouldn't take a whole lot more effort for Junior to convince (con?) his folks into giving him a key sans the nanny mode. Don't kid yourself. There will still be teens getting into speed/race related accidents. There is no way to totally eliminate the problem.

But the idea with the new key technology is to reduce such accidents. I don't see how it cannot succeed with that mission.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Hmm. Up this way, I see just as many "young adults" as I do teens getting stupid. Yeah, where does it end?

Comment

Most of the technology is already in the cars. When they come off the assembly line they have the speed limiter set so you do not exceed the speed rating of the tires. But guess what is the first thing altered by the teens when they hook up the laptop to the car?

In some cars the body computer recognizes the driver by the key and sets various things like seat position to that driver’s preference. So all Ford is doing is a software change to allow the car’s speed limiter to recognize the driver and adjust accordingly. The kids will just slip in a new PROM and off they go.

And Da Rolling Eye is correct. Some of the worst road racers are young men that have bought their own car.
            "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
            Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
              Most of the technology is already in the cars. When they come off the assembly line they have the speed limiter set so you do not exceed the speed rating of the tires. But guess what is the first thing altered by the teens when they hook up the laptop to the car?

In some cars the body computer recognizes the driver by the key and sets various things like seat position to that driver’s preference. So all Ford is doing is a software change to allow the car’s speed limiter to recognize the driver and adjust accordingly. The kids will just slip in a new PROM and off they go.
              What you say about the max speed limiter being set by the car's on-board computer system (in this case, Ford's EEC unit) is correct. However, in jumping to your conclusion, you leave out some important bits of information. As Paul Harvey would say, "Now comes the rest of the story."

First of all, it wouldn't be too hard for Ford to program the transponder chip in the "nanny" key to lock out any attempt by the teen driver to alter the EEC's settings. This would disable any normal attempt at trying to use a performance chip/module, like those made by Diablosport or Hypertech.

Of course, it is "possible" (but certainly not easy) to defeat this kind of safeguard. Either the teen driver would have enough money and access to a dishonest locksmith/dealer or have the necessary equipment and training to duplicate a transponder key. A tall order for most teenagers to overcome. (And if they can overcome it, then chances are those unfortunate parents have more serious problems on their hands. Junior is on his way to graduating from the school of grand theft auto!)

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
              And Da Rolling Eye is correct. Some of the worst road racers are young men that have bought their own car.
              That may be so. But if they're adults, then they are fully accountable and responsible for whatever consequences result from their reckless driving. Minors are a different ballgame. Parents could be held liable for any death/destruction caused by their children. The nanny key technology is designed to allow parents to exert a greater control over the driving behavior of their kids.

Comment

not a bad idea.....it will disintergrate....by 2010 most teenagers will have saved enough to purchase their own vehicles....deciding on a different model excluding speed control vehicles.....

wait out till 2010 - it will become a different scenario

the speed control vechiles will not eliminate the problem

i smirk with doubt at ford with the idea of speed control vehicles...it will create more problems than anything....we are in the sect of the millinieum

let be

i say have the parents deal with their out of control teenagers.
                stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                  What you say about the max speed limiter being set by the car's on-board computer system (in this case, Ford's EEC unit) is correct. However, in jumping to your conclusion, you leave out some important bits of information. As Paul Harvey would say, "Now comes the rest of the story."

First of all, it wouldn't be too hard for Ford to program the transponder chip in the "nanny" key to lock out any attempt by the teen driver to alter the EEC's settings. This would disable any normal attempt at trying to use a performance chip/module, like those made by Diablosport or Hypertech.

Of course, it is "possible" (but certainly not easy) to defeat this kind of safeguard. Either the teen driver would have enough money and access to a dishonest locksmith/dealer or have the necessary equipment and training to duplicate a transponder key. A tall order for most teenagers to overcome. (And if they can overcome it, then chances are those unfortunate parents have more serious problems on their hands. Junior is on his way to graduating from the school of grand theft auto!)

That may be so. But if they're adults, then they are fully accountable and responsible for whatever consequences result from their reckless driving. Minors are a different ballgame. Parents could be held liable for any death/destruction caused by their children. The nanny key technology is designed to allow parents to exert a greater control over the driving behavior of their kids.
                  I will admit my knowledge on the modern auto computer systems is limited. I do know that if you want to keep the teens out of something don’t store it on a computer. You’re better off with “old school” technology. Even if Ford hired the best hacker to check the security on their system the kids will find a way around it. Keep in mind they do not work alone, they are online and “network” with millions of like minded people.

Of course there is still the “old school” way to get around it…. borrow the parent’s key in the middle of the night just long enough to reprogram the settings for their own key. Or if the parents sleep with the car keys under their pillows then comes plan B. “Can I barrow your car keys? I left mine in my locker at school and I have to go pick up (younger brother)”.
                  "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                  Ayn Rand

Comment

I thought there was already some car with a lo-jack for parents and a sensor so parents could track when the car went over a certain speed. I remember reading an article about this last year. And my friends and I laughed and said we would have just gotten around it by telling my parents (who were the most strict) we were going to such and such, then park my car there and take someone else's. Too easy to get around, although a little time-consuming.

I think the key is a great idea. I can't tell you how many times I've almost gotten hit by some stupid kid in a Corvette going 110 down the North Dallas Tollway. And there's always an accident on it on a Sat. night, and it usually involves a minor driving.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

When I was in high-school, my parents would check the mileage on their cars to make sure we didn't use them while they were away on vacation. We used to disconnect the speedometers and take the cars down to Hawaii Raceway Park, Waikiki, the North Shore, etc. and have a blast.

I'm sure the Internet is going to be filled with lots of ways to get around whatever restrictions auto manufacturers come up with.

Comment

Working...
                      X