Astounding crash in Kaneohe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Astounding crash in Kaneohe

Uninsured vehicles should be seized on the spot. If the registered owners fail to provide proof of financial responsibility (valid no-fault coverage or the $20K bond required by law) within 30 days, the vehicle will be forfeited.

Drunk driving: first offense, one year suspension of license. Second offense or caught driving on a suspended license, five-year revocation of license. Third offense, jail time.

Speeding: excessive speeding, as defined by statute (over 80 mph or 30 mph over the limit), minimum one year suspension of license. Second offense, five year revocation.

"Regular" speeding: first two citations - normal fines. Third offense within a twelve-month period - one-year suspension + $1000 fine.

Gotta get tough. Too much carnage on the streets so far this year.
    Last edited by oceanpacific; March 6, 2009, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
      [...]
      Gotta get tough. Too much carnage on the streets so far this year.
      I agree...and no wrist slaps from the judges.

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
        Personally, I've never understood why cars are manufactured to go up to 150mph, when the highest speed limit in the US (barring the autobahn thing in Montana or wherever) is 75. Maybe if they quit making cars that went stupid-ridiculous speeds, people would literally be forced to slow down.

It honestly makes NO sense. I'm sure someone on here can give me an explanation of why cars are made to go so fast when our speed limits are so slow. Even US-manufactured cars that are mostly likely not going to find their way to Europe.
        I think it's because if an engine can run top end at 120 mph, then it will run at optimum efficiency at 60 mph. This saves on gas and gives better mileage. I'm really just guessing here. Gecko may just have it right.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
          I think it's because if an engine can run top end at 120 mph, then it will run at optimum efficiency at 60 mph. This saves on gas and gives better mileage. I'm really just guessing here. Gecko may just have it right.
          Actually, the technology exists right now for the auto companies to place a top speed limit on cars via programming on the computer module. (In fact, I talked about this on HT in a thread that discussed the "nanny mode" that some new cars have, which allows parents to control things like max speed and sound system volume whenever their children uses the car.)

But the thing is this: if someone has the money and the equipment, it's not hard to remove such restrictions. And aside from voiding the factory warranty, the car companies can't do much to stop owners from modifying their vehicles and adding "go fast" parts. The bottom line is that it is up to the owners to drive their cars in a responsible manner. And whenever they don't, then the law needs to step in.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            Originally posted by zff View Post
            When Hawaii Raceway Park was open, there was a lot more going on there than just boring 1/4-mile drag strip racing.
            I am well aware of the different forms of motorsports that took place there.
            Ah, ok. You didn't make that apparent in your previous post.

I was just trying to point out -- for the people here who might not know -- that HRP offered more than just "boring" drag racing. Like you said (and I agree), even with a race track available, there will still be drivers who race on the streets. But that's NOT because only "boring" forms of legitimate racing are available.

Comment

how did this thread about a horrific accident get off into street racing? they are two very different subjects and according to all reports I've seen - there was no racing involved.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                how did this thread about a horrific accident get off into street racing? they are two very different subjects and according to all reports I've seen - there was no racing involved.
                everyone likes an escape goat. and its easy to point the finger at racing...

If its an import (honda, nissan etc) it was "racing"
                if it was a domestic (Ford, GM, etc) it was "speeding"

Comment

Originally posted by asuhoru View Post
                  I responded to this call.

This was one of the worst accidents I have seen in my 14 years with the fire service.

Very very sad for those involved.

Be safe, everyone.
                  ho man sorry to hear that. that audi was crazy looking after the accident. Scary.

Comment

the technology exists right now for the auto companies to place a top speed limit on cars via programming on the computer module. (In fact, I talked about this on HT in a thread that discussed the "nanny mode" that some new cars have, which allows parents to control things like max speed and sound system volume whenever their children uses the car.)

But the thing is this: if someone has the money and the equipment, it's not hard to remove such restrictions. And aside from voiding the factory warranty, the car companies can't do much to stop owners from modifying their vehicles and adding "go fast" parts.
                    I’ve often wondered about this, because I hear so many “enthusiasts” talk about “removing the speed limiter chip” from their on-board computer. Without it, the car simply tops out at the engine’s actual maximum performance, rather than an artificially “limited” speed. How difficult is it to pull this off, and would the dealer even know that you did it? I imagine something that can be removed, can also be put back before the car is due for ‘factory servicing,’ thus making even the “voiding of warranty” deal an empty threat.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                      Personally, I've never understood why cars are manufactured to go up to 150mph, when the highest speed limit in the US (barring the autobahn thing in Montana or wherever) is 75. Maybe if they quit making cars that went stupid-ridiculous speeds, people would literally be forced to slow down.

It honestly makes NO sense. I'm sure someone on here can give me an explanation of why cars are made to go so fast when our speed limits are so slow. Even US-manufactured cars that are mostly likely not going to find their way to Europe.
                      Aside from performance cars, standard production cars aren't specifically manufactured to go up to 150 mph but in the quest to build cars capable of decent 0-60 times and lane changing performance attributes, the result is a car with far higher capacity limits that one really needs in the real world. Putting a limiter can tone it down but that's added production costs.

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                      I’ve often wondered about this, because I hear so many “enthusiasts” talk about “removing the speed limiter chip” from their on-board computer. Without it, the car simply tops out at the engine’s actual maximum performance, rather than an artificially “limited” speed. How difficult is it to pull this off, and would the dealer even know that you did it? I imagine something that can be removed, can also be put back before the car is due for ‘factory servicing,’ thus making even the “voiding of warranty” deal an empty threat.
                      Car manufacturers are getting more and more clever at this. Removing and reinstalling a chip may trigger a code that the dealer can later pull off with proprietary onboard diagnostic software. Part of the downside of having cars with more and more electronic intelligence.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                        Car manufacturers are getting more and more clever at this. Removing and reinstalling a chip may trigger a code that the dealer can later pull off with proprietary onboard diagnostic software. Part of the downside of having cars with more and more electronic intelligence.
                        most cars that have this sort of chip upgrade are undetectable by the dealers ecu reader. And if it is detectable ,they normally re flash it back to stock before taking it in.

But most of the time, car guys who do that sort of extensive ecu upgrade wont take it to the dealer to get serviced.

Comment

If that's true, Gecko, then it indicates that more drivers are heeding the law than in the past. A 1997 article in the SB estimated that "one-fifth to one-third" of all Hawaii drivers at the time drove illegally without no-fault insurance.
                          Well, the article I pointed out was for the year 2007 and cautioned that things would get worse with the failing economy. So don't rejoice yet.

So it's better now than in the past. 1 in 8 is still too high.

Gecko, I don't know why we're even having this discussion.
                          You stated that the guys license should have been revoked for doing 118MPH. That's fine. It's an assumption on my part, but I think the reason you stated that was in part that it would have prevented this accident. I think that more likely than not, 3 people would still have died and we'd still have this thread. The only difference would be you'd be pushing for something to insure that drivers with suspended licenses are taken off the roads. Looking at it that way, I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm ahead of you.

I would think it is common sense for everyone to realize that even the strictest laws do not provide a 100% effectiveness. You will always have people who break the law because they think they can get away with it, or they just don't don't care.
                          I agree. But I'd hope that such lawlessness would be more closer to 1 in a 100 than 1 in 8.

If you feel that the mandatory no-fault insurance law is not working because 1/8 of drivers are supposedly uninsured, then what do you think the percentage of uninsured drivers will be without the mandatory no-fault law?
                          Uh, what does that have to do with anything I've said? I'm pushing for more effective enforcement, not getting rid of no-fault.

The fact that "more serious" crimes happen in this state isn't going to be a mitigating factor when it comes to sentencing.
                          Full prisons creates pressure for alternative sentencing, of not early parole. I theory there's no connection, but in reality, I believe there is.

Actually, the technology exists right now for the auto companies to place a top speed limit on cars via programming on the computer module.
                          It's called a top-end limiter. It's part of the computer's program. It comes from the factory set to the speed rating of the factory tires so you can't go faster then the tires can handle (probably mandated by a company lawyer). I've never done it, but apparently any tuner that programs the car's computer can remove it.

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                          The adrenaline from driving fast is present in both.

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                          I think it's because if an engine can run top end at 120 mph, then it will run at optimum efficiency at 60 mph.
                          I'd express it the other way around. Car manufacturers are under pressure to deliver cars with good highway mileage. The way to do that is put in a gear so that at highway speed of interest, the engine is at low RPM to minimize loss in engine friction. Now take that car in the same gear, run the engine up to red line and now you've got something that will easily do "excessing speeding".

Comment

I just saw the commercial for The Fast and the Furious 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                              The best advice would be to resist the urge to do something that can quickly lead to over-control and a roll-over. When cars come out of a violent maneuver it tends to heel over and snap back, veering one way and then the other. It's the springy suspension that's at fault.
                              Ahh, thanks for pointing out the "springiness" issue. That helps me visualize what and why cars do what they do.
                              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                              "
                              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Yet another motorist (likely speeding) kills himself on at the entrance of Wilson Tunnel going windward bound, Sunday night.

Alas, people never learn.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...ING01/90406015

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/breaking/42535817.html
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X