Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zapatag: Don't Get Mad on the Road; Get Even Online!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zapatag: Don't Get Mad on the Road; Get Even Online!

Not to derail this thread, but this video is funny. Especially the last one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wT7zM8XgXQ

Personally, I'm not saying anything about women drivers, but this video is still funny.
    ~~~~~~
    Hanalei Bay Resort | Waipouli Beach Resort | Kuhio Shores

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
      A honk is but momentary, a zap is forever?

Well, not forever, but at least as persistent as anything on the Internet, which as many of us know, has a much longer memory than most of us would prefer...
      Sometimes passive aggressive is preferable to straight-up aggressive, horn honks or otherwise, given that an in-person confrontation is much more likely to go wrong if your target happens to have a weapon or anger control issues!

ryan, we've had this discussion before, so i'll be super brief.

given how much exposure you have online and elsewhere, that "crazy woman in a Ford minivan (who) failed to yield exiting Dole driveway, then went straight from right-turn only lane by IHS"--had she both anger issues and a weapon--can much more easily find her way to your home or work and wreak havoc on your and yours when you least expect it than she would chasing me down while i'm in my car after i've honked at her.

i wouldn't be so smug about your mandate against honking when your option is actually more dangerous for you specifically.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        Later, when I'm sitting in front of a computer, I am almost never annoyed or upset enough (if in fact I even remember it) to go through the process of zapping these tags.
        Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        I've had more than a few people say the same thing, and I've experienced it myself. I make note of a license plate of a particularly horrible driver while on the road, begin composing the perfect rant, but by the time I get to a computer I forget the tag number... or even that I'd thought about a bad driver at all during the trip.
        It'd be easier if we could do it from a cell phone while the moment is fresh!
        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

This makes me very uncomfortable. I realize these photos are taken on public property, but it feels mean and wrong. Sorry, just MHO. Maybe this is the way of the world now, and I'm too old and can't catch up.... or maybe I'm too paranoid. I know many people who have access to license plate information and can find out names and addresses, heck, even SS# and DOB. It only takes one twisted person with a vendetta against sloppy drivers to make problems.
          Last edited by Sharilyn; August 11, 2009, 05:09 AM.

Comment

I heard Zapatag mentioned on the CNET Buzz Out Loud podcast today. They were at CES and joking how zapatag needs to partner with apps that transcribe voice to Twitter. Cool.

Comment

That was a nice shout-out by Tom Merritt, who I met on his last visit to Hawaii with his wife. That he remembers Zapatag, given all the other sites that do essentially the same thing, was cool!

Comment

Cool site and great idea! As far as this being mean, I believe in consequences for one's actions and if you are so inconsiderate that you'll take two parking spots etc then you deserve to have a picture of your car posted online.
                Suggestions - have a filter by state in the pictures section so you can browse photos in your statet. Have different sections like bad parking, bad driving, interesting car/license plate etc.
                What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                  cause we keep trying to tell you - honking your horn is rude (but much quicker)
                  Is honking the car horn =,<,> than half the peace sign?

Comment

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37940000...s-honolulu_hi/
                    A website added a new service this month that can tie license plate numbers to many driver's names.
                    By law, motor vehicle registration records in Hawaii are secret, except for use by law enforcement. The new service offers a backdoor to that information, for free.
                    Ryan, is someone mashing up this website with Zapatag?
                    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Nope. The website in question is providing information that isn't technically public. Frankly, Zapatag somewhat relies on the buffer provided by the general anonymity of license plate numbers. "You drive like an old man, EFC 555!" is considerably less biting than "You drive like an old man, Michael J. Smith!"

Comment

On a slight tangent here, but why do tv shows almost always blur out license plate numbers? Is this to meet all privacy laws so that the shows won't be banned in certain states or cities? I never understood this blurring practice.

Comment

It's surprising how many organizations have access to the license plate database... financial institutions, insurance companies, car dealerships, tow truck companies, etc. If you really needed it done, it's probably not too hard to find someone who can look up a license plate for you if you can't already do it yourself.
                          Last edited by zff; July 4, 2010, 08:30 AM.

Comment

The website in question was finally outed, and it's actually the state government that's putting license plates and names online:

http://www.hawaiiweblog.com/2010/07/...e-plate-search

Of course, your name or license plate won't be in there if you've never been cited for something. But even expired parking meters are included. I'm in there for not having a valid safety check.

I typed in a few license plates that people posted on Zapatag, and most of them were in the database for various infractions. Perhaps not surprisingly, if someone was annoyed enough by your driving to post it on the web, you've probably also garnered the notice of law enforcement!

Comment

Holy cow, I thought I was the only Weeder in this state but apparently there's another one out there who also jaywalks..
                              Found some other family members on that website as well. It's like Facebook stalking only much more entertaining!
                              Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                              Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

There's no listing on that eCourt site for a fairly new bright yellow Toyota LandCruiser with blacked out windows all around and a vanity license plate that says SEX WAX, but if you see it please throw him one or two fingers for me.
                                The freakin' idiot came racing up behind me on the freeway and got within a foot or two of my rear bumper... stayed there for a minute or so... whipped into the next lane and flew past me than immediately cut back in front of me, missing my car by no more than a foot or two...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X