RVs in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RVs in Hawaii?

I don't care what the folks across the street listen to in the privacy of their own home. I do care if they play it at decibels high enough for me to hear clear across the street (and it's a fairly well trafficked street, so their music blares ABOVE the street noises). And I don't care if it's Andy Williams, Pachelbel Canon or Eminem, they don't have any respect for anyone (sound familiar?) and don't care that they don't have respect for anyone else.

I never said white folk can't enjoy hip hop or gangsta rap and I never said only Hawaiians could listen to mele. Bzzzzzz....

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; August 8, 2005, 07:12 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

But there still is a lot of stereotyping about a subset of Mainland culture going on here, prompted by an innocuous, simple question about RVs. You can't go howling over people who have a gross misunderstanding about our way of life if you're simultaneously going to get your jollies ragging on "those trailer park people" and their "Amelika da hauna" ways.

Or, what's good for the goose... Go ahead and have your fun, but your protestations of Hawaiian misrepresentation carry that much less credibility.

Poor people on the Mainland may congregate in trailer parks. Poor people in Hawaii do it at beach parks. There are probably more similarities in circumstance and background than you'd think.

Can we get back on topic, please?

Adri, are you thinking about "camper tops" on pickups? There's a difference between those and a full-blown RV. These are RVs. At their smallest, they're heavily upgraded cargo vans. But they can get huge!

Since I know I've seen a lot of those custom vans -- you know, the giant GMC 13-passenger dealies that are so tricked out, they look like small living rooms inside -- so I really wonder why they're worth it but not an RV. Must be the price differential.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        You can't go howling... if you're simultaneously ragging on "those trailer park people" and their "Amelika da hauna" ways. Go ahead and have your fun, but your protestations of Hawaiian misrepresentation carry that much less credibility.

I, for one, aspire to Miulang's level of un-credibility

Comment

Adri, are you thinking about "camper tops" on pickups? There's a difference between those and a full-blown RV. These are RVs. At their smallest, they're heavily upgraded cargo vans. But they can get huge!

Since I know I've seen a lot of those custom vans -- you know, the giant GMC 13-passenger dealies that are so tricked out, they look like small living rooms inside -- so I really wonder why they're worth it but not an RV. Must be the price differential.
          Hey, wanna buy one of those babies cheap? About every other week the RV guys are having fire sales now because gas is so expensive. The $100,000 babies you could get for around $60k. I had a retired friend once who bought one of those RVs with the extension on the side that rolled out and made the living room about 10'x10'. Went all the way cross country in it. Parked most of the time in WalMart parking lots at night because those are generally well lit so he didn't have to worry about getting trashed. And when he parked in a one of those Super WM lots, he could get all his groceries there too. In fact, there's a club of RV'ers who have maps online that show where each WM is. Kinda like Motel 6, where they'll always keep the lights on.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Parked most of the time in WalMart parking lots at night

ya know, it just seems ta fit, don't it!?

Comment

An RV would need to tap in to a metered electrical box for powering appliances, and would also need to be able to connect to a billable county sewage tap-in. Unless the RV owner had those already in place somewhere like at their own home or at a friend's residence, I can't imagine that there'd be enough of a volume of RVs to justify creating RV parks and neighborhoods like we have here all over the place on the mainland. People here use RVs to zig-zag and travel cross-country. People in Hawai'i can only keep going in circles.

Comment

Working...
              X