X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pomai
    replied
    The Fleecing of Hawaii.. and the Nation

What's most disturbing is how consumers are accepting $2.99/gallon regular unleaded gas prices as "cheap".

Wasn't it just 6 months ago that it was over 30% less?

Folks in Hawaii seem especially jaded about sticker shock such as HOUSING, that gas prices are forgiven as just another fact of late 2005 economics.
    Last edited by Pomai; October 24, 2005, 11:28 PM. Reason: Sticker Over-Shock

Leave a comment:

• Alarick
    replied
    Re: Simple vs. High Tech

I've thought about picking up an old CRX just for the gas mileage, but with all the modified Hondas around here, i'd give in to my competitive side and start to modify mine.

They are all slow, but it comes down to who has the fastest slow car

But back to V8's now, coasting will help a lot, as will the transmission and gear ratio.
    My DD will cruise at 70mph all day long and be in the 2100 RPM range.
    If i had the 6 speed manual the RPM's at 70mph would be closer to 1800.

Now if i romp on it, you can just about watch the gas gauge drop

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied
    Simple vs. High Tech

Anyone remember the Honda CRX HF?

Far from a V-8 muscle car, this little 2-seater was sold in the late 80's to early 90's designated as "High Fuel-efficiency". The thing got 45 to 50mpg right off the showroom floor with nothing more than a lightweight compact chassis and an anemic, yet sufficient fuel-injected inline 4-banger. If not mistaken, the max. speed was no more than 85 mph (depending on conditions).

Not bad though for cheap and simple power-to-weight ratio common sense vs. expensive, high tech hybrid (Prius) hoo-haa.

While the HF model was the cheapest model in the CRX line-up, gas prices weren't an issue at the time, so most consumers opted for the higher-powered SI model.

Leave a comment:

• Jonah K
    replied
    Re: Have you changed your driving habits?

Originally posted by sinjin
    This is where I must call BS. What 5.7L V8 gets 30mpg at 65mpg? You'll have to back that one up Alarick. Nothin' personal.
    Btw wind resistance is part of aerodynamics.
    If one is mostly coasting, it's possible for a 5.7L V8 to excellent gas mileage. I've managed to squeeze out 24 mpg in a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD with a 5.7L Hemi and it weighs nearly 4,000 lbs and has the aerodynamics of a brick.

Unfortunately, I've only managed to get 26 mpg in a Lexus RX 400h, despite it having a 3.3L V6 engine and an electric motor.

Leave a comment:

• Alarick
    replied

A 4 speed automatic with 3.23 gears.

And i'm more than willing to take anyone for a ride with me to show them.

So let me know when your flight comes in, and i'll pick you up at the airport

And in the meantime, i'd suggest doing a little research on unmodified LS1's.

*Edit*

I should probably rephrase myself a bit.

In north Texas where i can drive for hours with out more than a 4 foot change in elevation, i get 30mpg at 70mph.
    Here, it's 28-29mpg at over 70.
    Last edited by Alarick; October 23, 2005, 09:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sinjin
    replied

Originally posted by Alarick
    That really depends on what car the person is driving.
    My daily driver for example will get about 24mpg at speeds under 55mph, but when i drive over 65, it gets 30mpg, and it's a 5.7L V8.

Wind resistance is not so much of a factor as aerodynamics, gear ratio, and engine size are.
    This is where I must call BS. What 5.7L V8 gets 30mpg at 65mpg? You'll have to back that one up Alarick. Nothin' personal.
    Btw wind resistance is part of aerodynamics.

Leave a comment:

• Alarick
    replied

Originally posted by Composite 2992
    So many drivers spend inordinate amounts of time waiting to get gas at Costco for 15 percent less but drive at speeds that waste 15 percent more gas.

Go figure!

That's right. Due to wind resistance, increasing your speed from 55 to 65 burns about 15 percent more gas. It gets worse if you go even faster. As a rule of thumb, it takes about 4 times more power to go twice as fast.
    That really depends on what car the person is driving.
    My daily driver for example will get about 24mpg at speeds under 55mph, but when i drive over 65, it gets 30mpg, and it's a 5.7L V8.

Wind resistance is not so much of a factor as aerodynamics, gear ratio, and engine size are.

Leave a comment:

• cezanne
    replied

Originally posted by kimo55
    yea. why can't this be like the mainlnad where we can shoot and/or run over inconsiderate people in our way like that!?
    Well maybe he had his reasons...maybe he was gonna cut everyone's grass in his neighborhood...for the next couple years.

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

legal, not legal, hell... dat don't stop nooobuddy. some o dose peeps in their deathmobiles would sooner shoot ya than lookatcha.

Leave a comment:

• MadAzza
    replied

Originally posted by kimo55
    yea. why can't this be like the mainlnad where we can shoot and/or run over inconsiderate people in our way like that!?
    It's legal there? I had no idea.

going off now to write my lawmakers ...

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied
    Rubber Neck for Rubbermaid®

Originally posted by cezanne
    At Costco Gas... why do I always have to be in the same line that has gramps putting gas in his van and then in 5 gas containers?!
    Funny you mention that. Fire departments around the country are concerned about consumers stockpiling gasoline in their homes, which could become serious fire hazards.

Retailers around the country have also reported abnormally brisk sales of plastic gasoline containers.

Leave a comment:

• kimo55
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cezanne
    replied

At Costco Gas... why do I always have to be in the same line that has gramps putting gas in his van and then in 5 gas containers?!

Leave a comment:

• Linkmeister
    replied

I saw one of those "pricier gas still in the ground tanks" situations today. Shell station on Kamehameha Hwy Pearlridge had $3.19 R/U, while Chevron right across the cross street had $3.03. I still have a 1/4 tank, though, so I didn't bother with it.

Leave a comment:

• Composite 2992
    replied

While cruising along on the freeway at 60 today I got passed by lots of people going in excess of 65.

So many drivers spend inordinate amounts of time waiting to get gas at Costco for 15 percent less but drive at speeds that waste 15 percent more gas.

Go figure!

That's right. Due to wind resistance, increasing your speed from 55 to 65 burns about 15 percent more gas. It gets worse if you go even faster. As a rule of thumb, it takes about 4 times more power to go twice as fast.

Interesting that these same people slow to less than 55 when there's a cop up ahead. I'll hold steady at 60 and pass them in the center lane.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X