Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Road to nowhere

Originally posted by ojosverdesdegato
    Road to Nowhere. . . sounds lke a Cat Steven's song from the seventies.

Malama Pono,

Claudia
    Sounds more like a Talking Heads song from the 80's to me.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
      Hawaiian Beaches is actually one of the few subdivisions in Puna with county water (they don't depend on rainwater catchment). The lots are small and the population is a mix of retirees, working class, working poor and young-on-welfare. They are mostly local and they have been ridden with problems over the years. I know many single moms who bought down there because it was affordable, but their kids sadly hit that bad spiral in their teens/early 20s, because of the environment and circumstances. Don't get me wrong; Pahoa High School has had at least two valedictorians come out of Hawaiian Beaches (one of my friend's kid was among them), but the subdivision holds no cachet with realtors.

The recent real estate spike did manage to gut some of the riffraff in Puna. Despite that, they will be back; there isn't any place else to go that is as affordable.
      Pua'i Mana'o...thanks for telling it like it is. I really didn't want to mention the demographics about HB but your description pretty much says it all. Needless to say if you buy there better be prepared for a culture shock if you are one of urban sheltered upbringing.

And as for county water, didn't the county of Hawaii mandate is going to mandate that all new homes must encorporate the use of catchment or something like that because the county's water utility lines are insufficient for the usage?
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I'd like to add to CW's comment about buying in HB.

If you build your house there... be prepared to live on the property as your place is getting built.

I've heard of houses being gutted of everything down to the kitchen sinks (literally) before the tenants even had a chance to move in.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
          Here is our "road to nowhere" in Foster Village. They decided to make the road go in a circle:

http://fostervillage.net/index.php?id=4

Hey I know that one, now it is this funny roundabout thingy, that I swear probably causes more close calls than anything else, I almost hit couple people trying to get outta there...its weird...
          Attached Files
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            Pua'i Mana'o...thanks for telling it like it is. I really didn't want to mention the demographics about HB but your description pretty much says it all. Needless to say if you buy there better be prepared for a culture shock if you are one of urban sheltered upbringing.

And as for county water, didn't the county of Hawaii mandate is going to mandate that all new homes must encorporate the use of catchment or something like that because the county's water utility lines are insufficient for the usage?
            I don't know about that, Craig. HB has its own water well and is bordered by the state reserve, so it cannot grow out. It might be, but I don't know what the current scoop is.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              Pua'i Mana'o...thanks for telling it like it is. I really didn't want to mention the demographics about HB but your description pretty much says it all.
              I had thought to pose the demographics question in PM so as not to encourage trash talking a community in open forum but I appreciate the frankness we share here.
              Thanks Pua'i.
              Last edited by sinjin; September 25, 2006, 07:05 PM.
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                Sounds more like a Talking Heads song from the 80's to me.
                Funny, the song started playing in my head when I clicked the thread...
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                  I had thought to pose the demographics question in PM so as not to encourage trash talking a community in open forum but I appreciate the frankness we share here.
                  Thanks Pua'i.
                  honestly, I don't think we trash talked the HB community. There are many good, good people who live there. I've known folks who have even ~loved~ being residents in HB. But what to do when kids are teens and unsupervised and no place nearby to get an afterschool job to keep busy? When they live too far away from the high school to stay there after school, keeping active in sports and clubs and so forth? It would be the rural blues, but the houses are too close to each other. So they cannot help it that they are in each others' faces, cruising the subdivision, aimless and looking for something to do.

All that angst and no real outlets.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                    I don't know about that, Craig. HB has its own water well and is bordered by the state reserve, so it cannot grow out. It might be, but I don't know what the current scoop is.
                    You sure it's Hawaiian Beaches that has it's own well? I thought it was the neighboring (and more eclectic) Hawaiian Shores?.

Then as you described Vacationland. First time I drove thru there I was astonished there was anything quite like that out there. Kinda reminded me of Enchanted Lakes in Kailua on Oahu.

One of my best friends who grew up in HB even tells me he couldn't wait to get out when he was old enough.

Hawaiian Beaches is one of those areas that can be a love/hate thing. Kinda like Pua Lane on Oahu. Lotsa pride but lotsa problems too.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Isn't Vacationland where the tidepools come up to private property?

Comment

Working...
                      X