No announcement yet.

What's a good, cheap young adult car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's a good, cheap young adult car?

Originally posted by lurkah
    Another reason I don't usually buy new either is to avoid the inevitable mental anguish and anger one goes through upon discovering each and every new nick, scratch or dent on that brand new shiny paint job caused by anonymous others who thoughtlessly opened their doors too wide.
    My Jewish mother (she "adopted" me when I was in Boston, always trying to line me up with a nice Jewish boy) once said to me: "Having a dent or scratch on your new car is like losing your virginity...after the first time, it doesn't matter any more!" ROFL

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

"Having a dent or scratch on your new car is like losing your virginity...after the first time, it doesn't matter any more!" ROFL
      This is a good example of how males and females think differently, and why the females should never be the ones who get the new cars. Just kidding, folks. My wife would kill me.

Comment

Another reason I don't usually buy new either is to avoid the inevitable mental anguish and anger one goes through upon discovering each and every new nick, scratch or dent on that brand new shiny paint job caused by anonymous others who thoughtlessly opened their doors too wide.
        Yep...those, too. Just last week my 18 year old car got keyed. It doesn't get any easier. Well, easier than a brand new car but still not easy. That's a first.

Comment

Anyone knows if any older-model cars has adjustable pedals? One major problem I remembered while I was driving my Mom's van, was that I couldn't proper reach the pedals. I always had to nudge forward and almost kick the brake pedals when I slowed down.

LOL I just checked thebus's website, and it looks like atleast two buses from Ala Moana will be working well into the night (heck, into the morning) so maybe I can survive w/out a car.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Then be like me. One month after buying my brand new 1984 VW Scirocco I'm coming off the H-1 freeway's Waialae Avenue offramp in a driving rainstorm. I'm wearing my seatbelt for the first time because HPD's Officer Hamasaki persuaded everybody at the Gas Company to do so for just one day (before the seatbelt law went into effect).

Coming off the freeway this big old car (like a Buick) loses control and ends up straddling the two off ramp lanes sideways. I end up slamming into the front fender of this car at 40-mph.

My first thought was, "My brand new car!!!" Then I got out to see if anyone was alright. Well the driver of that car was Helen Wiley Gillmore, the then Traffic Court Judge for the State of Hawaii. You guessed it she didn't want me calling the cops but hey my car was totalled and I didn't give a rats ass who she was. Well she's still a judge and a good one at that too so I didn't mar her career a bit didn't I.

But my first dent in my first brand new car was a doosey. And I couldn't have hit a nicer woman
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
              Anyone knows if any older-model cars has adjustable pedals? One major problem I remembered while I was driving my Mom's van, was that I couldn't proper reach the pedals. I always had to nudge forward and almost kick the brake pedals when I slowed down.
              D
              Um, you could always adjust the car seat (unless it's a bench seat). The only older model cars (or do you mean cars that are newer?) that would have adjustable pedals are the grandma/grandpa kind of cars...like the Cadillacs or the Crown Victorias. Most of the upgraded models of more high end newer cars have that as a standard option now.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

LOL I just checked thebus's website, and it looks like atleast two buses from Ala Moana will be working well into the night (heck, into the morning) so maybe I can survive w/out a car.

That's why there's an age restriction on when you can drive. You have to be tall enough

Comment

What is a good reliable make/model for a beginner?
                  My first car was a Mercury Comet. Gas guzzler, nothing special but somewhat powerful. No longer made and I would not buy one again.

I would go with Toyota Corolla as a good reliable transportation car. That is what I drive. Nothing fancy. Just a car that is good on gas and goes from A to B and back with no fanfare, speed or trouble.

Our family has owned several Toyota Corollas with one driven over 230,000 miles (we bought brand new) in 20+ years of ownership.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

But Mel that's so...ho hum....remember it's not just getting from A to B...it's getting there in style!

Hey your first car was the Mercury Comet? Mine was a 1962 Ford Falcon. Talk about a beater...this car had no oil drain plug, instead the previous owner rammed a broken broomstick handle to wedge the hole shut. I never had to replace the oil as it burned a quart a week. I had fresh oil in that sump every month.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                      But Mel that's so...ho hum....remember it's not just getting from A to B...it's getting there in style!

Hey your first car was the Mercury Comet? Mine was a 1962 Ford Falcon. Talk about a beater...this car had no oil drain plug, instead the previous owner rammed a broken broomstick handle to wedge the hole shut. I never had to replace the oil as it burned a quart a week. I had fresh oil in that sump every month.
                      My Comet was one of those 1973 Ford Maverick clones. It had a 302 V8.

The only fashion statement I make with my Toyota Corolla is when I sometime hang my iPod Shuffle on the rear view mirror when I have it connected to the radio via the cigarette lighter port using an $18 FM transmitter I bought from WalMart.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Well you got me beat...I only got an Alpine cd player with a dual 10-inch Q-Logic bandpass subwoofer setup and a Sony 250-watt per channel bridged Xplode amplifier running it in my BMW. I gotta get me one of those Ipods!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          That's why there's an age restriction on when you can drive. You have to be tall enough
                          My legs are the ones that are short.

Maybe I'll go along with my parents when we go car shopping (unless they decided to go car shopping when I'm home, then I'd be pissed) so that I can get a car that I can reach the pedals.

And I have no problem with driving Crown Vics. Maybe I'll paint it white and scare people

Comment

My legs are the ones that are short.
                            Okay as long as we know what's short around here

Comment

Okay, looks like they bought a car without my knowledge. Drum roll please...

Its a 1994 Ford Taurus. Yes people, not a fancy car, but not a bad car choice.
                              Now we got 2 white ford vechicles (the Taurus and my Dad's work truck) and 2 red vehicles (a truck and van).

They bought it at the Budget Car Sales near Midas in Waipahu near St. Joseph Church yesterday (paid 2 grand for it) and drove it home a couple hours ago.

I sat in it and its comfortable. I still can't see the front of the hood because I'm so low, but that's why there's phone books

EDIT: Apparently, the dealer gave them the wrong key, so only one of the keys worked for the trunk and gas tank.
                              Last edited by adrian; January 28, 2006, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Okay, looks like they bought a car without my knowledge. Drum roll please...

Its a 1994 Ford Taurus. Yes people, not a fancy car, but not a bad car choice.

It got so much power everything, that we can't even figure out how to either open the gas tank or the trunk. Now we got 2 white ford vechicles (the Taurus and my Dad's work truck) and 2 red vehicles (a truck and van).

They bought it at the Budget Car Sales near Midas in Waipahu near St. Joseph Church yesterday (paid 2 grand for it) and drove it home a couple hours ago.

I sat in it and its comfortable. I still can't see the front of the hood because I'm so low, but that's why there's phone books

You sure the seats aren't sagging with that age? Or maybe with all the power amenities the seat just needs adjusting? But I can't fault your parents cuz Red and White are Kalani Falcon colors!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X