This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Whither Aloha Airlines?

According to published reports, Mesa Air circulated emails between its consultant Mo Garfinkle and Mesa Chief Financial Officer Peter Murnane that indicated that the only way go! could survive in Hawai'i is if Aloha Airlines was taken out of the picture.

Garfinkle, a former consultant for the parent company of Hawaiian Airlines, wrote in an e-mail to Murnane that the Hawaii project did not make any sense if Aloha was still in the picture, according to Bennett. Murnane's response was that rather than wait for Aloha to die, Mesa should establish a presence in Hawaii so no one else could move in, putting Mesa in position to give Aloha "the last push," Bennett said.

Bennett also said a document prepared by Mesa for potential go! investors showed that the carrier, which has built its reputation on its low fares, intended to raise prices once Aloha was out of the way.
    Murnane countered:
    "(Eliminating Aloha) was not part of our business plan," Murnane said. "We went to great pains to make sure our business model made sense with all three carriers in the market. We didn't want to go into Hawaii with the assumption that the only way this would work would be if we pushed Aloha over the edge."

As for raising prices, Murnane said the airline's projections were based on all three carriers competing in the market at current fare levels in 2006 and 2007. Murnane said, Mesa projected that in 2008 Hawaiian and Aloha would reduce interisland seat capacity, and go! would raise fares to below where they were before go!'s arrival.
    What's interesting is that all of this new information surfaced during a Federal bankruptcy court hearing for Hawaiian Airlines.

Mesa at one point had approached Aloha with a $25 million investment deal, but Aloha declined the offer.

Hawaiian is seeking a preliminary injunction that would prevent go! from selling tickets in Hawai'i for one year, claiming that Mesa used proprietary information from Hawaiian in order to build its business case.

Aloha Airlines, for its part, issued the following statement:
    "We are extremely disappointed with the disclosure in court that one of our colleagues in the airline industry appears to have been unethical in dealing with Hawaii's interisland market, and has been trying to put us out of business for its own gain," the company said in the statement. "In this industry, we expect that airlines will compete fairly on a level playing field, and it seems now that a new entrant is trying to unlevel that field.

"This is an affront to the more than 3,500 employees of Aloha Airlines, who have sacrificed so much to continue Aloha's legacy of providing high-quality air transportation for Hawaii's people.
    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

• Re: Whither Aloha Airlines?

i think this deserves another thread, but nice touch bumping up the old thread.
      GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

• Jonathan Ornstein and www.iflygo.com

I thought I knew Mesa Airlines and their CEO Jonathan Ornstein pretty well. After the court hearings on Friday and what was made public, and after recovering from my initial shock as to the limitless bounds of this mans arrogance, here are some of my thoughts.

While I have always know this man was a scumbag of the highest degree, It is possible that Jonathan Ornstein may actually be an angel compared to his CFO Peter Murname.

www.iflygo.com, Mesa Airlines and their entire board of directors are as crooked as they come. Read this story from 2003 called "of Mutual Benefit"

The only question we should be asking about Mesa is are they more like Enron or the Mafia?

Any other questions visit Hawaii's Airline HEROS at www.dontflygo.com
        GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

• Re: Are You GO for $39?

And once again, the fares are back down to $19.

Hawaiian Air Matches Go's $19 One-Way Fares

Mesa Air Group's go! announced Friday morning that it would sell a $19 one-way ticket from Honolulu to Lihue, Kahului, Kona or Hilo. Hawaiian Airlines followed a few hours later with news that it would match the price.
          Competition is nice, even though it hurts the "local" airlines. Good for the consumer in this case. Brand loyalty can go out of the door if you drastically lower prices.

You know if any of our airlines offers good old fashion coupon books with the kind of unrestricted flights we used to have, I'd gladly buy one or two (depending on the expiration dates) even if they were priced a little higher (reasonably of course) than the current low end fares.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Howard Dicus reported in last Monday's Pacific Business News that go!s entry into the interisland market has caused a glut in seats which can only be used up if one of the carriers starts a fare war, which is apparently what go! has decided to do again with its re-introduction of the $19 one-way fare that has since been matched by Hawaiian.

If Aloha, which is considered the weaker of the 2 legacy airlines, does go under, it would return the island skies to the duopoly that existed prior to go!s entry into the market, which would invariably cause airfares to rise again.

I think both HA and AQ should listen to people like Mel who say they would fly the legacy airlines again if they started selling those coupon books again, rather than have to resort to matching go!s prices periodically.

Is there enough business for all 3 carriers, given that most Mainland tourists can now fly directly to their destinations rather than get funneled through HNL? Has local residents' pent up demand for cheaper airfares been sated now so that the load factors on all interisland carriers will start shrinking again? (HA already reported lower load factors last month and AQ is privately held, so it doesn't need to disclose its data).

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; September 22, 2006, 08:40 AM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I considered myself generally "loyal" to Hawaiian, although when I was young my family was an "Aloha" 'ohana (owing, I'm sure, to some distant relative who worked for them). When "go!" starts a price war and the legacy airlines try and match, you bet your sweet bippy I try to get the new low rates at Hawaiian first. But haven't succeeded yet. They must put, like, five seats per flight out at the lowest rate, because the best they can do when I start searching is $49. Aloha started at $79!

We just booked a family trip to the Big Island on "go!" over New Year's. We didn't get $19 fares owing to it being over a holiday weekend, but we still got great fares compared to a year ago. I mean, now we're looking at five seats each way (darn growing kids!). So airfare that would've cost us well over $700 before "go!" now only puts us out $400 and change. I want to help the local guys, sure, but I want to travel (and get the heck out of Honolulu before the fireworks!) more.

And I am curious about the "go!" flying experience -- Interisland terminal, smaller plane -- anyway.

Comment

The following press release was offered by Aloha Airlines in response to Go's $19 fare:

For Immediate Release
                September 22, 2006

STATEMENT FROM DAVID A. BANMILLER

It’s clear that Go’s latest action is a direct attack on the livelihood of Aloha’s employees and their families.

The people of Hawaii are smart enough to know that a $19 inter-island fare is nothing but a sham, and the promise of long-term low fares is mere rhetoric. In fact, there is evidence that Go has a plan to drive out hometown airlines and then raise prices for its own gain.

Aloha is here for the long term, and we will fight back. As of today, Aloha will not accept Go’s tickets when Go flights are cancelled or delayed, nor will Aloha accept Go’s baggage when it is unable to carry a passenger’s bags on their small aircraft. We want the public to know that when you buy a ticket on Aloha, you’ll get full service and value, and you’ll be supporting the 3,500 local men and women who carry on our 60-year old commitment to Hawaii.

-#-
                For passengers who don't travel light and are on Go, be aware of this.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                  The following press release was offered by Aloha Airlines in response to Go's $19 fare:

For passengers who don't travel light and are on Go, be aware of this.
                  oooh..I guess the gloves have come off now. My bet is HA announces the same tactics regarding go! too, just to support Aloha. The last thing HA wants is for AQ to go under and have to fight directly with go!

Miulang

P.S. I don't know many interisland travellers (especially the ones who are travelling to visit ohana) who travel light! Although I guess the new TSA restrictions does put a crimp in one's omiyage offerings to the ohana. And in the midst of the fare free-for-all, Island Air continues to keep its prices at the regular rates and staying clear of the brouhaha.
                  Last edited by Miulang; September 22, 2006, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Mesa calls $19 fares "Hero" fares

In launching its latest price war salvo, go! is calling its fares "HERO" fares.

Going to the www.dontflygo.com website, you see a news flash about this latest round of price cuts. What's interesting that go! would use the word "HERO" in announcing its low priced tickets, since HERO also happens to be the acronym for the HA/AQ/IslandAir coalition of employees fighting to protect their jobs (H.elp airline E.mployees R.epelling O.rnstein) .

Coincidence? Doubtful. Even though Ornstein comments that a go! employee came up with the name of the promotion, it's appears to be similar to the incident where go! tried to sneak around HA's advertising on websearches before they got caught.

Miulang

Comment

All of the local airlines claim the $19 fare is a short term promotion and none can make money with it. But hey, short term means take advantage of it now, even though this created a goofy iterniary for my HNL to HILO travels.

I just booked 2 trips to Hilo over 2 holiday weekends for the $19 advertised fares on all flights (actually $24.80 when you add in taxes and fees).

Since many of the cheap flights are rapidly selling out, I am flying on 3 different airlines on the 2 trips. But all for the base $19. Two of the trips are on Aloha Airlines (yes, they are offering $19 fares), one on Hawaiian and the other on Go!

Most of the time I fly Hawaiian because I just like their Boeing 717's and also liked them when they had DC-9s, especially the old Series 80s of the mid 1980s.... Still when the $19 seats are not available on every flight on your favorite airline, you open multiple browser windows and start shopping for the lowest price... and I found em and I am happy.

The 2 round trips on different airlines HNL to Hilo and back come in under $100.

Gotta love the competition!
                      Last edited by mel; September 22, 2006, 11:12 PM. Reason: fix
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                        All of the local airlines claim the $19 fare is a short term promotion and none can make money with it. But hey, short term means take advantage of it now, even though this created a goofy iterniary for my HNL to HILO travels.

I just booked 2 trips to Hilo over 2 holiday weekends for the $19 advertised fares on all flights (actually $24.80 when you add in taxes and fees).

Since many of the cheap flights are rapidly selling out, I am flying on 3 different airlines on the 2 trips. But all for the base $19. Two of the trips are on Aloha Airlines (yes, they are offering $19 fares), one on Hawaiian and the other on Go!

Most of the time I fly Hawaiian because I just like their Boeing 717's and also liked them when they had DC-9s, especially the old Series 80s of the mid 1980s.... Still when the $19 seats are not available on every flight on your favorite airline, you open multiple browser windows and start shopping for the lowest price... and I found em and I am happy.

The 2 round trips on different airlines HNL to Hilo and back come in under $100.

Gotta love the competition!
                        Congrats, Mel. Sounds like you're definitely taking advantage of the price wars and you have the patience to go comparison shopping. Finding inexpensive airfare is like playing the slots in Las Vegas. Fares are constantly changing, so you have to be willing to monitor things closely in order to get the best deals (last month, I only paid $438 for a RT ticket on direct flights between SEA-OGG...and the return trip was only about $150 for a direct flight because I travelled on a Thursday...every other day of the week it was more than $250 for the return trip). During high season I have paid more than $800 for that same flight!

Miulang

Comment

I think trips between the mainland and neighbor island airports cost a little more than those between the mainland and HNL. Some airlines offer discounts to smaller mainland destinations. I know Aloha Airlines does because they send out promo emails advertising $99 one way flights to Oakland or Orange County for example.

Yes, making reservations online is probably like playing the slots. It's all timing and the timing godz were in the right place yesterday.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Well. As I mentioned, we took the leap and booked on go! for our New Year's trip a couple of weeks ago, paying more than their $29 fare (at the time) because we were traveling on a holiday. But, hey, they had an early morning flight and a late evening flight to allow my mom to do a "day trip" with us enough time to make it from Hilo to Kapa'au and back.

Except that they just left a voicemail message saying that they're taking her off the 7 a.m. flight and putting her on the 10 a.m. flight.

I sincerely doubt they cancelled the 7 a.m. flight. I bet they just figured the could make more money off it by moving cheapskates like me to a lower-demand flight. You can bet they're going to be getting a call from us.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              I sincerely doubt they cancelled the 7 a.m. flight. I bet they just figured the could make more money off it by moving cheapskates like me to a lower-demand flight. You can bet they're going to be getting a call from us.
                              One tactic the local interisland carriers used to use was to cancel a flight because there were too few passengers. Back in the old days, the only concern was that you and your checked bags might get separated, but you always knew the next flight was only 20-30 minutes later. They generally never warned you of the cancellation until the day of the flight.

At least in your Mom's case, you did get lots of warning that there was a schedule change. So maybe by the time you made your Mom's reservations, they had already booked (and overbooked) up all the available seats on go! for that flight. I still think you should complain anyway. I know most all flights on all carriers are overbooked and the airline is hoping that somebody will cancel, but in the case of your mom's reservation, it sure sounds like something went awry on the go!s end.

Miulang

Comment

Turns out they did cancel the flight outright. On several days. Not a very good sign. Got a refund (after some growling) and re-booked on Hawaiian. The best they could do was $69, versus the $49 on go!, but my mom likes Hawaiian better anyway. I know how she feels.

The rest of us are still on go! though. Unless they cancel our flights, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X