This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are You GO for $39?

I don’t think Go! Will be flying to Vegas anytime soon. HA & AA matched the fare so it’s all the same regarding cost. It’s just a matter of who bleeds to death first in my opinion.

Comment

i think HAL and Aloha should lower their interisland fares. its ridiculous what they charge when some ppl think its cheaper to go to the mainland rather than interisland~

Comment

Lowering prices during a start-up is a perfectly normal business practice. Example: look at how new radio stations are always commercial-free for the first month or so. No big deal.
        As I recall, Hawaiian and Aloha both lowered their prices to match Go's price. Once Go raises theirs, so will the other two. Again, normal business practice.
        So why all the claims that Hawaiian or Aloha will go bankrupt and make hundreds of employees lose their jobs? I don't get it. And I sure don't see it happening.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
          So why all the claims that Hawaiian or Aloha will go bankrupt and make hundreds of employees lose their jobs? I don't get it. And I sure don't see it happening.
          I don't think it's an unlikely scenario. After all, both Hawaiian and Aloha were operating underwater not too long ago. Basically I see the "Go!" strategy as a big game of chicken. There's no question the current "fare ware" is basically a contest of who can operate at a greater loss. As it continues, I don't think any airline is going to make money in the interisland market. So "Go!" will have to tap into its mainland reserves, and Aloha and Hawaiian will have to rely on its mainland routes. But it can't continue indefinitely.

Thus the articles linked above where the theory is, eventually, one of our local airlines will be drained all the way back to bankruptcy.

Aloha and Hawaiian are trying to bank on their "localness," as their ads prove, but people are only loyal to a point. Generally, when it comes to air travel, the price tag is what matters most. True, since "Go!" is apparently largely staffed by Mesa employees, and since Hawaiian and Aloha have mostly local workforces, losing one of the latter carriers will affect many local people.

I also agree with you, though, that this is business as usual. Whichever airline can operate the most efficiently will survive. And the current super-cheap fares are most definitely a start-up gimmick. But if the number of players shrinks again, we can expect prices to rise again.
          Last edited by pzarquon; June 5, 2006, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Hawaiian Airlines, reported a net loss of $12.3 million for the first three months of this year.
            http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...8/daily10.html

I can’t imagine that Aloha is doing any better & this is before go! begins service. Everyone can continue to loose money for a while but as the president of Mesa said…

"I don't think they can do it for long. We can fly planes empty and cover it. The Hawaii operation costs about $20 million to $25 million a year -- we can lose that much money. We can cover it."

I’m not so sure both HA and AA can outlast that kind of muscle at this time.

I don’t believe any one will loose their job on Friday when go! starts service. These are all large companies so it could take a year or so. I guess time will tell.

Comment

IMO, i don't think HAL and Aloha even cares. if they had listened to the public before, they would have lowered their interisland fares. they only lowered them because of the competition. it will be interesting to see who survives the market.

Comment

I agree. It will be interesting. I’m not so sure go! will be listening to us any better though. It’s not like they live or work here or anything like that. I guess time will tell how much they care.

Comment

The latest shot fired in the interisland carrier war:

go! Announces One-Way Interisland Tickets at Just $19
                  go!, Hawaii's new low-fare interisland carrier, today announced it is celebrating inaugural flights by offering one-way tickets at just $19*. The $19 one-way fare will only be available by making reservations from 12:00 noon (Hawaii Standard Time) today (June 7) through 11:59 p.m. on June 9, or until the special fare tickets are sold out.
                  Note the limited availability (purchase by midnight Friday), and of course some restrictions apply. Still, I certainly can't remember the days of a $20 ticket!

Comment

I remember paying $50 for a round trip between Honolulu and Lihue in 1979.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      The latest shot fired in the interisland carrier war:

go! Announces One-Way Interisland Tickets at Just $19
                      Note the limited availability (purchase by midnight Friday), and of course some restrictions apply. Still, I certainly can't remember the days of a $20 ticket!
                      Mid Pacific Air had $19 coupons for a short time in the 1980s. I bought several at that time.

Now the question is, should I spring for yet another trip to the Big island or even another island, or just pass on this? An even bigger question is, are the other 3 interisland carriers going to match the fare?
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

$19.00 flights....I'm gone!

With the recent Mesa/Go deal... $19.00 is just to good to not take advantage of it.

Too think that it will cost me more to take a taxi to and from the airport now, then the actual airline flights is kind of mind boggling!

I'm Gone... Just gotta figure out when....real soon!

Comment

Re: $19.00 flights....I'm gone!

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                          With the recent Mesa/Go deal... $19.00 is just to good to not take advantage of it.

Too think that it will cost me more to take a taxi to and from the airport now, then the actual airline flights is kind of mind boggling!

I'm Gone... Just gotta figure out when....real soon!
                          Looks to me Go! business plan is to compete against the taxis, The Bus, and supershuttles of hawaii than actual airlines like Hawaiian and Aloha ,price wise..That's a good thing.
                          Have Fun!
                          Peace.
                          Samba Pa Ti

Comment

If you listen to 97.5 FM right now there is a radio show about the inter-island airfare wars. Call in and tell everybody what you think. 7:15 to 9:00 AM
                            GO WARRIORS!!

Comment

Were you able to find a seat or is this the old Bait & Switch trick?

Comment

Free airline tickets from Aloha Air!

Aloha Airlines is trying a different tactic than matching go! $19 limited purchase fares as Hawaiian is doing.

Tomorrow morning, beginning at 7 a.m., 500 free round trip tickets will be given out on a first come-first served basis at Honolulu Airport. 100 free vouchers will be handed out at Lihue, Hilo, Kona and Kahului Airports beginning at 9 a.m. to people entering into a random drawing.

Vouchers need to be redeemed by Sept. 30 for travel between June 24-Dec. 14.

Miulang
                                Last edited by Miulang; June 8, 2006, 02:00 PM.
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X