X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Decreased Mileage with Ethanol?

Check this out!
    http://blog.wired.com/cars/2006/10/adapter_lets_an.html

Whats the cost and where can you buy ethanol?
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Ever since I've pumped in that 10% ethanol into my BMW I noticed I had to run some fuel additive. I'm wondering of ethanol is hydroscopic meaning absorbs water like brake fluid. If so that would answer why my car was running worse with even worser (is there such a word?) gas mileage.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        Ever since I've pumped in that 10% ethanol into my BMW I noticed I had to run some fuel additive. I'm wondering of ethanol is hydroscopic meaning absorbs water like brake fluid. If so that would answer why my car was running worse with even worser (is there such a word?) gas mileage.
        after adding the fuel additive, did you notice an improvement in gas mileage/performance? if so, what additive did you use? thanks.
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I don't know if the situation has changed, but in May, Tesoro Hawaii was called on the carpet for pumping inferior gas (I think they had too much ethanol in their gas which lowered the octane rating even more) while still charging the same amount per gallon as their competitors. Ever since then, I've stayed away from a Tesoro gas pump.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I was using Shell's gasoline.

As for additives, I use the fuel injector cleaner as it has some detergents that help break up any water molecules. I figured it wouldn't hurt and it did help with the fuel economy a bit (this is a BMW) but the big difference was the car did pick up in the throttle response and ran smoother.

Comment

I was using Shell's gasoline.

As for additives, I use the fuel injector cleaner as it has some detergents that help break up any water molecules. I figured it wouldn't hurt and it did help with the fuel economy a bit (this is a BMW) but the big difference was the car did pick up in the throttle response and ran smoother.
              Thanks for the tip. I'll try the fuel injector cleaner to see if the engine returns to its smoother running. Increased fuel economy is a secondary consideration.

Comment

I'm wondering of ethanol is hydroscopic meaning absorbs water like brake fluid.

Hygroscopic. And yes, it is:

http://www.chevron.com/products/PROD...soline/pg2.asp

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post

That's not good for high humidity environments such as Hawaii. I would think fuel stabilizer products used to eliminate water in gas tanks should be used if you're not planning on running that tank empty for a period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                    I haven't noticed a drop mpg yet, but I have noticed my truck has less power
                    going up hills now since the gasoline switched to 10% ethanol.
                    Same here. My Chevy smallblock V-8 can't hit 60 mph in under 7 seconds since E-10 Civics can sometimes pass me on hills.
                    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
                    X