X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who Rides a Moped?

They don't become motor scooters.

They become illegally modified mopeds.

Again, this depends on what you do to them. If you make modifications to the moped that cause it to exceed the HP or speed limits set out for them without violating the law regarding mopeds, you can have your vehicle registered as a motor scooter and then you must buy insurance for it and have a motorcycle license to ride it. Again, not something I'm interested in doing, but it's possible. Like I said above, if you're going to go to all that trouble, you're much better off just buying a motorcycle, IMO.

here's a relevant passage from the states info pages:

If your moped goes faster than 30 mph, it is no longer a moped; it is a motor scooter, which has insurance requirements and different licensing requirements.
    Last edited by brianca; November 21, 2006, 12:11 AM.

Comment

I finally got my ped today. The trip from town to hawaii kai is a piece of cake, and it's quite a bit faster than the car even when traffic is light. I'm sure it'll beat the pants of the car commute during morning rush hour.

Comment

Originally posted by brianca View Post
        The trip from town to hawaii kai is a piece of cake, and it's quite a bit faster than the car even when traffic is light. I'm sure it'll beat the pants of the car commute during morning rush hour.
        Not sure how you'll do that without doing something illegal and/or dangerous. Not that there isn't people who do that, but the odds will catch up to them eventually.

Comment

Simply that the bike lanes allow freedom of movement that the normal traffic lanes do not. Any time traffic slows down or stops at a light. I am able to pass them by in the bike lane and have a free start at the green light. It really adds up over the course of the trip. Even more so when traffic is bumper to bumper in the mornings.

Comment

Simply that the bike lanes allow freedom of movement that the normal traffic lanes do not. Any time traffic slows down or stops at a light. I am able to pass them by in the bike lane and have a free start at the green light. It really adds up over the course of the trip. Even more so when traffic is bumper to bumper in the mornings.
            Be careful... that kind of behavior can get you cut off in traffic by much bigger vehicles...

Comment

not sure what you mean other than the right hand turns across the bike lane. That's certainly something you have to watch out for.

Comment

bike lanes
                Ah, bike lanes. I forgot about those. Just take care an not make your own. That's what can get you in trouble.

Do take care anytime you are passing cars. They might not check the bike lane before going across it.

Comment

not sure what you mean other than the right hand turns across the bike lane. That's certainly something you have to watch out for.
                  Around UH you can find bike lanes in between two regular lanes. In that case you have to watch out for lane changes too.

Comment

now that's scary. Not sure I'd want to mess with that.

Comment

What I mean is, using the bike lane to jump ahead of traffic, and then cutting in and out where you see fit is behavior that tends to piss off a segment of the driving population. Be careful if you decide to ride like that.

Comment

There's no cutting in and out. I stay in the bike lane. There's no reason to get in the lane of traffic when there is a bike lane. I see your point though, that would be both illegal and dangerous.

Comment

hi i ride a moped and today while i was at the traffic signal before you would turn to pass pali long's,the traffic signal took about 10 minute's before chainging only i understand why it would change with in 10 Minute's due to the elderly only i waited in the light sprinkle since i forgot to use my poncho,

only my sweater jacket was a little damp,only i had my helmet on so my head didnt get wet.

i do follow the rule's of riding a moped and when someone want's to pass,i think imoht,it's ok since they need to get to where they wish to be. i go at the speed of 35 mile's and no more.

well thank's for your time

Comment

hi did anyone hear of the moped shop being broken into,i feel for the owner since my moped was stolen 3 year's ago and that was my deceased father's gift to me only since the authortie's couldnt find it,at least my mom purchased one for me as her way of saying thank's for always being there for her.

i've passed that shop on my way to my friend's moped shop in kapahulu.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Just want to rant!

I am sooo tired of stupid drivers zooming around me or cutting me off just because I'm on a moped. We end up at the same stop light *$$

I am actually able to keep up with the normal flow of traffic on King, Kapiolani, Beretania but these guys don't see it.

Just asking for some mercy... pedestrians, bicyclists, moped riders, etc. have lives too!
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Moped Licensing??

Sorry for the diversion:
                                My 18-year-old asks what it takes to get a motorcycle licence in Hawai`i nei.
                                I would rather he has it than not, but I don't want him 2-wheeling in Hon county for a bit... a long bit. Oh the struggles....

I came to Hawai`i on a licence with 10+ years of 2 wheels, and don't look forward to him H-Hing it through traffic as a novice. Neither did my dad, and he was right. Oh well.

What does it take to get a 2-wheel license? Can you moped w/o a license?
                                Does he need to start with s put-putt 160cc? (works for me!)
                                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                                ~ ~
                                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X