Biking to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Biking to work

Well, after my first week of biking to work, I think I can comment on this a bit more.

I live about 5 miles from my office, which most "bike to work" advocate web pages say is the upper end of the "easy to do" commute. It takes me, a novice bicyclist, about 50 minutes one-way. I use the sidewalks wherever I can. If I was confident enough to get on the road, I'm sure I could easily shave 10 or 15 minutes off that time.

Biking to work compares well with my typical morning automobile commute, which was about 30 to 40 minutes one-way. It takes a little longer, but then again I have been meaning to insert some sort of exercise into my schedule, so the extra time in the commute actually turns out to be less than the extra time I'd have spent on a separate exercise routine.

My biggest fear was safety, and what I have found out is that my view of bike safety has been colored by what I saw from behind my windshield, driving on the busiest, most bike-unfriendly streets of the city. Taking less-traveled streets really, really makes a huge difference.

I was surprised at how few pedestrians there are on the sidewalks. Again, it probably depends a lot what streets you take -- if you follow a TheBus route, you'll have busier sidewalks -- but it seems like most folks, aside from schoolkids, don't walk much in Honolulu.

So far, it's all been good. Why didn't I do this sooner?

Comment

Residential areas are the only places where bicycles are allowed on the sidewalks. All others are prohibited.

I figure they allow residential areas because kids ride their bikes near their homes.

As for cops riding their bikes on the sidewalks to issue citations to cyclists riding their bikes on the sidewalks...well you just gotta shake your head on that one.

I was walking by a motorist being ticketed for expired safety check when I pointed out to both the police officer and the motorists that the cop's safety check had expired as well. The motorist took down the information and promptly called the police on his cell phone as I walked away.

And as for cops not being required to wear safety belts because they need quick egress out of their vehicles, I guess being thrown out of your police car at high speed justifies that. I hope HPD looks at this hypocritical dual policies when it comes to riding on the sidewalks or driving without seatbelts.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

It really all depends on where and what your work is.
        If it's okay to bike to work/get there sweaty etc, then why not? I always used to bike to work, but of course, I was working as a lifesaver then.. so it really was no problem for me.

Comment

Working...
        X